Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #9,751 of 11,654
Having tried and reviewed all the "hyped"/"highly regarded" IEMs under/around $100: Moondrop Starfield, KBEar Diamond, and Tin T4, I still find myself enjoying the Final E3000 the most. Starfield gets boring after a while, Tin T4 on the other hand can be too aggressive. KBEar Diamond meanwhile scoops the lower mids somewhat, making it less than ideal for certain genres.

E3000, surprisingly, sounds adequate at worst and drop-dead-gorgeous at best. Its imaging and soundstage/instrument separation is also on an entirely different plane versus the "hyped three".

Resolution isn't everything IMO, tonality and tuning ensures how long something will remain enjoyable.

received_984383778663606.png
I agree with you about the tuning of the e3000. For me, the e3000 will always be my first love. However, I’ve moved on to the etymotic er2xr, which can be found in $100-$120 range. The er2xr is better than the e3000 no question- especially in imaging and detail. But, the e3000 is better at turning your skin into goose flesh.

In my limited comparisons, I’ve also found that the er2xr is much less source-dependent than the e3000. That is, the e3000 sounds adequate with apple dongle, but is really transformed with higher power usb dac/amp (monolith usb dac with Amazon hd music in my case). The er2xr sounds amazing with both dac/amps. What sources are you using to compare your iem’s?

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #9,753 of 11,654
Having tried and reviewed all the "hyped"/"highly regarded" IEMs under/around $100: Moondrop Starfield, KBEar Diamond, and Tin T4, I still find myself enjoying the Final E3000 the most. Starfield gets boring after a while, Tin T4 on the other hand can be too aggressive. KBEar Diamond meanwhile scoops the lower mids somewhat, making it less than ideal for certain genres.

E3000, surprisingly, sounds adequate at worst and drop-dead-gorgeous at best. Its imaging and soundstage/instrument separation is also on an entirely different plane versus the "hyped three".

Resolution isn't everything IMO, tonality and tuning ensures how long something will remain enjoyable.

Yeah I feel the same about E series. I own E5000 and E4000. I think in terms of technicalities, compared to other iem (especially chifi) in the same price range , E series is a bit step down.
But I found out that I enjoy E series the most , because of its natural timbre and pleasing tonal , nothing aggressive/peaky tonal at all , I can listen to this cans for about 3 hours straight at medium to low volume without feels fatigue at all. :D

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #9,754 of 11,654
Sometimes I'm like... I need a new IEM, then I realize I can just switch out tips and I'm fine. :)
I consider this one of the big advantages of UIEMs over CIEMs.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #9,755 of 11,654
I am loving my new Final E4000. The sound is really something. i have little experience with iems. Previously I only had cheap models. Now I understand what the fuss is about with iems! The sound signature of this iems with my also new A&K SR25 is the best I have ever heard in a portable device and iems. I also find this sound truly enjoyable. I am sometimes changing between two cables one balanced, I prefer the sound, the other the original, which I find more confortable. The manual advices against frequent connection and disconnection. Any advice, experiences? Do the connections really break easily or is the manufacturer overprecatious?

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #9,756 of 11,654
I am loving my new Final E4000. The sound is really something. i have little experience with iems. Previously I only had cheap models. Now I understand what the fuss is about with iems! The sound signature of this iems with my also new A&K SR25 is the best I have ever heard in a portable device and iems. I also find this sound truly enjoyable. I am sometimes changing between two cables one balanced, I prefer the sound, the other the original, which I find more confortable. The manual advices against frequent connection and disconnection. Any advice, experiences? Do the connections really break easily or is the manufacturer overprecatious?
On all mmcx type of plugs , it will be loss after many unplug and plugging process , and it's permanent. Sorry my bad English ☺️

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #9,757 of 11,654
On all mmcx type of plugs , it will be loss after many unplug and plugging process , and it's permanent. Sorry my bad English ☺

Some companies are now using more exotic metals/alloys for their MMCX connectors, and they suggest by doing so, there will be less connector failure. With that said, if one likes to experiment a lot with different cables, probably better to buy an IEM that uses a 2-pin design.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #9,758 of 11,654
I agree with you about the tuning of the e3000. For me, the e3000 will always be my first love. However, I’ve moved on to the etymotic er2xr, which can be found in $100-$120 range. The er2xr is better than the e3000 no question- especially in imaging and detail. But, the e3000 is better at turning your skin into goose flesh.

In my limited comparisons, I’ve also found that the er2xr is much less source-dependent than the e3000. That is, the e3000 sounds adequate with apple dongle, but is really transformed with higher power usb dac/amp (monolith usb dac with Amazon hd music in my case). The er2xr sounds amazing with both dac/amps. What sources are you using to compare your iem’s?

Yes, the Etymotics are excellent and just like Final E-series have stood the test of time. These IEMs are good on their own right and their users bear testament to their quality and longevity. This is an upside of focusing more on the R&D than just shoving in multiple drivers just to have a glitzy spec-sheet. The only reason I returned my ER4P was because of the very deep fit which I couldn't quite live with. If one can get past that hurdle, it's a fantastic performer that questions many high-end purchases.

Regarding sources: it's mostly my desktop DAC/Amp, Yulong Canary, and Cayin N6ii + E01 and Questyle QP1R on the DAP side of things. I also often use the LG G7 for commuting.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #9,759 of 11,654
The manual advices against frequent connection and disconnection. Any advice, experiences? Do the connections really break easily or is the manufacturer overprecatious?

MMCX connectors (high quality ones like those used by final and others) don't "break easily", but they are not designed thinking to continuous operation (e.g. an electrical switch, to make a simple example).

So: you can expect your MMCX connectors to support you "endlessly", and if they don't you can blame quality control - unless you plan to switch cables daily, like you switch a tshirt, in which case it's you using them outside their intended scope.

I own E4000, E5000 and a few other IEMs with MMCX connectors. On each one I swapped the cable on average maybe 5 or 6 times, worst case maybe like 20 times. I did have 1 faulty case, but that was on the male connector (the one on the cable) and it was a cheap cable too. Never had a female MMCX failing on me (yet :fingers_crossed:)

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #9,760 of 11,654
Many thanks for all the inputs, Pauldoni, jwbrent and Hooga. Now I now what to expect. It is my first mmcx cable. I will change the cables as less often as I can. I am going to settle for the balanced which to my taste sounds better. I know this is a controversial subject... Also changing ear tips I have managed to make the fit better and therefore more confortable with the balanced cable. Anyway, I am happy, the 4000s sound amazing for Bach Ouvertures by Masaaki Suzuki!

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #9,761 of 11,654
If anyone has a chance listen to the Diablo III soundtrack. I feel that it really pushes that Final Audio E5000 to its limits, almost to the point of breaking its sound apart. I'm just mostly curious if anyone else feels the same. :p

I'm listening to the FLAC version with my SR15 on HIGH gain.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #9,763 of 11,654
Hi guys I'm looking for an upgrade for my E5000 after 6month of use , and I love it actually :)
But I think I need more treble sparkle and extension with a lil bit of sub bass rumble improvement.

Need an iem with thick and smooth tonality but with more treble presence and sparkle.

Is final B1 the right iem for me? I also considering campfire Andromeda
S.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #9,764 of 11,654

received_984383778663606.png
"
"Resolution isn't everything IMO, tonality and tuning ensures how long something will remain enjoyable."

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #9,765 of 11,654
Hi guys I'm looking for an upgrade for my E5000 after 6month of use , and I love it actually :)
But I think I need more treble sparkle and extension with a lil bit of sub bass rumble improvement.

Need an iem with thick and smooth tonality but with more treble presence and sparkle.

Is final B1 the right iem for me? I also considering campfire Andromeda S which.

The B1 would be the natural step to consider given your tonal preferences and your fondness for the E5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back