Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #8,416 of 11,644
Did your impressions of the mids and treble match mine prior to burn-in?

I don't remember---when I get new headphones/iem's I listen for a few minutes and then set them up in a drawer with an ipod on continuous loop and let them burn in for a week or so. I check them out for a brief listen every once in awhile--
There usually is a pretty big change from brand new and 150 hours burn in.

I think you will be surprised at how much the sound changes-----things need to loosen up and get moving--brand new the parts are stiff and rigid---after burn in they are moving and functioning as intended---

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #8,417 of 11,644
I don't remember---when I get new headphones/iem's I listen for a few minutes and then set them up in a drawer with an ipod on continuous loop and let them burn in for a week or so. I check them out for a brief listen every once in awhile--

Haha, funny thing is, you are doing exactly what I normally do! :D

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #8,418 of 11,644
There usually is a pretty big change from brand new and 150 hours burn in.

I think you will be surprised at how much the sound changes-----things need to loosen up and get moving--brand new the parts are stiff and rigid---after burn in they are moving and functioning as intended---

Same here.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #8,419 of 11,644
These used to be very popular in Asia:

I still use mine fairly regularly (excellent on piano, chamber music and vocals).

Different price band, though...

I owned a pair of these but I had difficulty getting a consistent fit for the best sound, and ultimately, I gave them away. About ten years ago.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #8,420 of 11,644
For those who have the Heaven V or Heaven series, I got a response from FAD on differences between the BA Heaven V and the DD E5000:

"First of all, Heaven V being a balanced armature(BA) while E5000 is driven by a dynamic driver(DD), there are audible differences in term of response speed, layering and imaging, but with great confidence, we ensure both of them perform really well with their own strength and beauty.

To go more detail, the sound signature of Heaven V emphasizes more on mid and high and therefore it gives a slightly better vocal presentation. On the other hand, low on E5000 are more refined which leads to a warmer, natural and fuller sound.

With the implication of the silver coated OFC cable on E5000, the soundstage expands wider and by considering the shape of the human ear canal, we applied a new tuning technique to E series to provide a more soothing hearing experience which provides our user with a longer stressless music hearing session. Of course, users can also explore the fun of re-cabling with the MMCX connectors.

As a conclusion, we believe that if you love detailed, analytical and focused vocal, Heaven V might be better, but if you love a natural and wider soundstage presentation, then E5000 might be a better choice.

Additionally, there is another point that I would like to share. By ensuring the smoothness of the overall frequency response without purposely emphasizing any particular frequency range, E5000 has been successfully tuned to be capable of performing purely, delicately and balanced. However, to elegantly remove certain frequency ranges which are emphasized by the driver itself, the earphone is tuned in multiple ways including lowering the sensitivity. Therefore please expect that E5000 requires a higher volume output than Heaven V.

Lastly, final always believe that sound is very subjective. Hence we always encourage users to try the product themselves if there is any chance and make the judgement themselves by trusting their own feelings."

I found it interesting in their "new tuning techinque to the E series" and can understand that silver would bring out the highs more than copper for a DD. The lowered sensitivity has been discussed quite a bit in the forum. I do like the "detailed, analytical and focused vocal" on my Heaven V, yet it borders on sibilance and peakiness on rock music. Acoustic and vocals it seems the Heaven V shines.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #8,421 of 11,644
I found it interesting in their "new tuning techinque to the E series" and can understand that silver would bring out the highs more than copper for a DD. The lowered sensitivity has been discussed quite a bit in the forum. I do like the "detailed, analytical and focused vocal" on my Heaven V, yet it borders on sibilance and peakiness on rock music. Acoustic and vocals it seems the Heaven V shines.

I own a pair of Heaven VI, I do find them a little bit harsh on a certain frequency (Dont ask me what frequency, I dont know how to measure.) but it normally happens at the high mid and it happens to my FI-BA-SS too so I think it might be the downside of the implication of a single BA unit to cover the whole frequency range. Therefore the first time I tried E-series, I really love the comforting sound but yeah, the vocal on them are relatively laid back compared to Heaven VI and FIBASS. But the balanced sound give me a better relaxing music listening period.

Still thinking of getting the cableless E5000H. Going to Tokyo this weekend to try them out again.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #8,422 of 11,644
For those who have the Heaven V or Heaven series, I got a response from FAD on differences between the BA Heaven V and the DD E5000:

"First of all, Heaven V being a balanced armature(BA) while E5000 is driven by a dynamic driver(DD), there are audible differences in term of response speed, layering and imaging, but with great confidence, we ensure both of them perform really well with their own strength and beauty.

To go more detail, the sound signature of Heaven V emphasizes more on mid and high and therefore it gives a slightly better vocal presentation. On the other hand, low on E5000 are more refined which leads to a warmer, natural and fuller sound.

With the implication of the silver coated OFC cable on E5000, the soundstage expands wider and by considering the shape of the human ear canal, we applied a new tuning technique to E series to provide a more soothing hearing experience which provides our user with a longer stressless music hearing session. Of course, users can also explore the fun of re-cabling with the MMCX connectors.

As a conclusion, we believe that if you love detailed, analytical and focused vocal, Heaven V might be better, but if you love a natural and wider soundstage presentation, then E5000 might be a better choice.

Additionally, there is another point that I would like to share. By ensuring the smoothness of the overall frequency response without purposely emphasizing any particular frequency range, E5000 has been successfully tuned to be capable of performing purely, delicately and balanced. However, to elegantly remove certain frequency ranges which are emphasized by the driver itself, the earphone is tuned in multiple ways including lowering the sensitivity. Therefore please expect that E5000 requires a higher volume output than Heaven V.

Lastly, final always believe that sound is very subjective. Hence we always encourage users to try the product themselves if there is any chance and make the judgement themselves by trusting their own feelings."

Appreciate the detail comparison for the 2 models from Final staff, E5000 is quite good at its price and for on the go usage at relax listening. I am looking forward to the new portable iems from Final which is comfortable and for relax and critical listening.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #8,423 of 11,644
Thank you Soundbear and Zilkhaw for sharing your comments about Heaven vs. E series. Very informative and helped to put my mind at ease that the Heaven series probably isn't right for me.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #8,424 of 11,644
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me / help me along in the broad final audio lineup.
I've been using Campfire Andromeda's for over 2 years now but always with a lot of discomfort.
It has now come to a point where I'm no longer willing to put up with it.

The reason for it is that I have extremely tiny ears & ear canals.. (stupidly so)
I ordered myself a pair of Etymotics ER4SR but I just can't seem to get along with the deep fit (I tried for weeks now).
However this type of very small shell / in ear (my outer ear / concha is rather small as the bottom lobe doesn't hang down but is quite rigid thus allowing not much space for an in ear to lay down in it. Example, max shell size that sits flush in my ear is Westone UM PRO 30 v2) really worked for me so I started googling and the only respectable candidate for me seemed to be Final Audio (if anyone has other brands, feel free).

Therefore I have a few questions:

1. Are these as comfortable as I think for smaller ears (I know the XS final audio type e tips seal for me just perfect because I use them on Andromeda)
2. Which of the models would you recommend (I was thinking about the E5000 as I listen to a multitude of genres and I want a all rounder IEM - Extra plus if I can use it as my daily IEM for youtube or netflix watching)?
3. Can you wear any of the higher models to the gym (E4000, E500) or should that be avoided in terms of durability?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help :)

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #8,425 of 11,644
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me / help me along in the broad final audio lineup.
I've been using Campfire Andromeda's for over 2 years now but always with a lot of discomfort.
It has now come to a point where I'm no longer willing to put up with it.

The reason for it is that I have extremely tiny ears & ear canals.. (stupidly so)
I ordered myself a pair of Etymotics ER4SR but I just can't seem to get along with the deep fit (I tried for weeks now).
However this type of very small shell / in ear (my outer ear / concha is rather small as the bottom lobe doesn't hang down but is quite rigid thus allowing not much space for an in ear to lay down in it. Example, max shell size that sits flush in my ear is Westone UM PRO 30 v2) really worked for me so I started googling and the only respectable candidate for me seemed to be Final Audio (if anyone has other brands, feel free).

Therefore I have a few questions:

1. Are these as comfortable as I think for smaller ears (I know the XS final audio type e tips seal for me just perfect because I use them on Andromeda)
2. Which of the models would you recommend (I was thinking about the E5000 as I listen to a multitude of genres and I want a all rounder IEM - Extra plus if I can use it as my daily IEM for youtube or netflix watching)?
3. Can you wear any of the higher models to the gym (E4000, E500) or should that be avoided in terms of durability?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help :)
I find the Final E-series very comfortable. My wife and I both have the E2000, which are great on a budget. I also have the E4000 and reviewed the E5000, which are both great sounding. Personally I loved the E5000 the most, but still enjoy the E4000 tremendously.

I am actually using the E4000 as my training gear and subjecting it to a hell of a lot of abuse, which they have taken pretty well. I only had some minor cut out issues in the days after I ran with them in the pouring rain and too much water got on the mmcx connectors. They still seem to have recovered great. I also use them in my gym and have had no issues there. The E5000 will also work, except that the stock cable is much stiffer and more microphonic. So while I have been considering getting the E5000 as well, that cable would need to be replaced asap before I will use them for training.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #8,426 of 11,644
I reached out to Michael Brown, the US distributor for final, about the cost of the D8000 copper cables and the twist connectors. I own the Sonorous VI, and since I like the build of my D8000 cables, I thought about buying an extra one to use with the VI.

He replied the D8000 cables will be available in the spring at a as of yet undetermined price. Regarding the twist connectors, they are $56 a pair. He actually recommended buying a Sonorous cable and reusing the twist connectors since this cable is $48.

One last thing, final is now showing a new travel case for the D8000 on its website. The case will work with the Sonorous line, but it is a bit roomier than it is for the D8000. I have another email in to Michael about the cost and will report back on availability and price.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #8,427 of 11,644
Nice looking case ...

upload_2019-2-7_9-58-22.jpeg

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #8,428 of 11,644
$120 available in a March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back