Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #8,191 of 11,644
I recently bought a new Sonorous IV, and I love how they sound. The trebles remind me of the FI-BA-SS as it should since the IV uses a proprietary BA driver for the trebles. I kind of wish I bought the VI due to the enhanced aesthetics, but the two models are supposed to be the same other than the stainless steel used.

I’m very interested in the D8000 as well as any more affordable version that is scheduled for release soon. I’m going to Can Jam in LA this year just so I can listen to the final offerings, and maybe get a good deal.
I see... the FI-BA-SS are fascinating indeed.

I believe there are other differences between the IV and VI although they are based on a similar design as you say. Can’t remember exactly what though, beyond materials and pads.

I’d love to hear the D8000 too, but Final is struggling with distribution in France at the moment. The upcoming D6000 @davidmolliere is referring to are actually iems; I have no idea what Final are up to on the full-size front.

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #8,192 of 11,644
Which one would be more suited for portable, universal every day use? Music, movies, games on the Switch or laptop. Something to carry around and be a good all rounder? So far the FH5 are filling the spot but I would like something smaller with a similar bass and overall signature, maybe a tad more extended highs and much larger soundstage as they don't suit games that good. I've narrowed it down to E2000, E3000, Campfire Comet, maybe E4000/E5000 but those seem hard to drive from a laptop or Switch and from reviews the E5000 seems to have a smoother high range than the E3000. How does Campfire Comet soundstage compares to E series? Which is more detailed and closer in signature to FH5? Any other recomendations?

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #8,193 of 11,644
Which one would be more suited for portable, universal every day use? Music, movies, games on the Switch or laptop. Something to carry around and be a good all rounder? So far the FH5 are filling the spot but I would like something smaller with a similar bass and overall signature, maybe a tad more extended highs and much larger soundstage as they don't suit games that good. I've narrowed it down to E2000, E3000, Campfire Comet, maybe E4000/E5000 but those seem hard to drive from a laptop or Switch and from reviews the E5000 seems to have a smoother high range than the E3000. How does Campfire Comet soundstage compares to E series? Which is more detailed and closer in signature to FH5? Any other recomendations?

From what I heard personally, E5000 should be what you're looking for, but I don't think you'll be able to drive them properly from a laptop or switch.

I only heard ATLAS from Campfire, but it is pretty amazing, if their midrange line is similarly great, then that is a good option as well :)

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #8,194 of 11,644
Comet isn’t very easy to drive either, and isn’t as comfortable as E series.

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #8,195 of 11,644
From what I heard personally, E5000 should be what you're looking for, but I don't think you'll be able to drive them properly from a laptop or switch.

I only heard ATLAS from Campfire, but it is pretty amazing, if their midrange line is similarly great, then that is a good option as well :)

Are the highs on the E5000 more extended and more present than FH5 or less?

I am curious if anyone tried them on a Switch.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #8,196 of 11,644
Have anyone Heard both BGVP DM6 & Final E5000?

Looking for some sound comparison between the two.
Are the highs on the E5000 more extended and more present than FH5 or less?

I am curious if anyone tried them on a Switch.

The e5000 needs a LOT of juice to sound right imo. Most daps just barely do it justice on certain older albums with quieter mastering. My Cayin N5iiS is perfect with them, my Hiby R6 is almost enough. If a Switch is what I think it is, somehow I doubt it will be enough.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #8,197 of 11,644
I’d love to hear the D8000 too, but Final is struggling with distribution in France at the moment. The upcoming D6000 @davidmolliere is referring to are actually iems; I have no idea what Final are up to on the full-size front.

I know it’s not full sized that why I said it’s a competitor to the LCD i4 or iSine 20 :)
Not really an IEM in any traditional sense of the word but I’d like to see what Final did there, as I was disappointed with the LCD i4 signature but liked the concept.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #8,198 of 11,644
The e5000 needs a LOT of juice to sound right imo. Most daps just barely do it justice on certain older albums with quieter mastering. My Cayin N5iiS is perfect with them, my Hiby R6 is almost enough. If a Switch is what I think it is, somehow I doubt it will be enough.

What a shame. Such a promising small and portable IEM hindered by it's power requirements. Looks like I'm down to E2000/3000 or Comet.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #8,199 of 11,644
What a shame. Such a promising small and portable IEM hindered by it's power requirements. Looks like I'm down to E2000/3000 or Comet.

It's not a hindrance. I think it's how it gets it's unique, laid back yet detailed sound. I have the e3000s as well. They're easy to drive and are beautiful sounding. One thing I also love about the e3000 is that you really don't need to loop them over your ears like the e5000. They stay put and have incredible sound.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #8,200 of 11,644
It's not a hindrance. I think it's how it gets it's unique, laid back yet detailed sound. I have the e3000s as well. They're easy to drive and are beautiful sounding. One thing I also love about the e3000 is that you really don't need to loop them over your ears like the e5000. They stay put and have incredible sound.

What!? Really? Do I really Need to Loop the E5000? Whats wrong with it or how bad is it if I don't loop them?

One of the reason I order the E5000 is because I can wore it Straight down. I wear Glasses 24/7 and it bothers me to have things loop around my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #8,201 of 11,644
What!? Really? Do I really Need to Loop the E5000? Whats wrong with it if I don't.

One of the reason I order the E5000 is because I can wore it Straight down. I wear Glasses 24/7 and it bothers me to have things loop around my ears.

You don't have to, don't worry. If you do a lot of walking you would have to. MAYBE. When I'm sitting around the house I don't loop them. If I'm active, I have to. But that's me. I bet if you use foams you wouldn't have to at all. I lose a tiny bit of seal with my silicon tips and I freak out, but I justjust foam tips although they tend to keep IEMs in better

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #8,202 of 11,644
I know it’s not full sized that why I said it’s a competitor to the LCD i4 or iSine 20 :)
Not really an IEM in any traditional sense of the word but I’d like to see what Final did there, as I was disappointed with the LCD i4 signature but liked the concept.
Oh I know you know. My remark was intended for @jwbrent, who wrote he was interested in the D8000 and more affordable versions. Since you’d just mentioned the D6000 as a more affordable LCD i4 and the naming scheme for the D6000 can make it sound like it’s a more affordable D8000, I thought I’d kill a possible confusion in the egg.

Your post made me remember the particular form factor of the D6000, indeed similar to the iSine series. I trudged back through the thread to find the link posted by @organ_donor, which I’m including again. The D6000 outer ear reminds me of Final’s LAB II, or the Fibonacci patterns Sony use to cover some of their drivers to tune high frequency response. It looks like a piece of jewellery, something Final know to draw outstandingly and with Japanese restraint, no tackiness. The ornamentation, even when it looks quite flowery, retains a sense of minimalism that makes it deeply attractive. They are truly master smiths, and perfectly happy to use a simple, thin cylinder of metal when that is appropriate.

I like those brands who are able to think outside the bounds of audio. Like Parisian brand Aëdle, who not only produce great headphones and iems but weren’t afraid to put out a collection of leather accessories (with, again, minimalistic origami designs - sensing a theme around my taste for Japanese craft?). Audeze are definitely not on the same level design-wise, nor do they care to be I believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back