Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #7,037 of 11,642
How does it compare to your FI-BA-SS?

Very different sounding.
PF8 sounds much warmer and also have a larger soundstage compared to FI-BA-SS.
However, it is not as detailed sounding as the FI-BA-SS.
Both are very good for femalel vocals but I feel FI-BA-SS I still like it more as it do better with more genes of music than the pf8.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #7,038 of 11,642
Very different sounding.
Both are very good for femalel vocals but I feel FI-BA-SS I still like it more as it do better with more genes of music than the pf8.

Totally agree with this. Also FI-BA-SS is much more practical. But the Pianoforte has something that does make it very sepcial

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #7,039 of 11,642
  exact, the lab 2 and the piano forte x are very good with female voices, due the limited fq range of the piano forte x the focus on this part is even bigger with these. that was my big hope for the lab 2, these mids with extended bass and highs and as i heard them i'm realised they offer near the range of a great full size headphone and a lot more than i expected.  for me it's one of the rare headgear that brings the air to swing like in reality, i know a lot of technical great/perfect headphones/earphone but as the sound absolutly correct they don't give me a impression of the real thing, more of a very well made holographic reproduction, something important/real is missing. if i would only look at fq charts and technical ability i wouldn't find the gear that gives me goosebump, good to have this forum, with the time you find some people that have the same ears / sens of music and point you in the right direction.

@pacman46 as for the piano forte x for me they are not for electronic instuments like bass guitars, on a piano you are missing the last octave and a contra bass is 1/2 as loud as it should be. they are magic for voices, string instruments that are not going down to deep, with soul and jazz they shine. if the music get's to complex they loose the grip, best with singer / background singers and 3 to 4 instruments. for rock i would go with some ak t8ie, they have massive bass (for me to much but with eq its fine), if you know the fostex th-900 the ak's are very similar sounding, great for rock or hard hitting bass. 

I put the Lab 2 through the paces with the Audiophile Hi-Res System Test disk from HDTracks, it has frequency ranges from 10 hz, 20 hz, 25 hz, 31.5 hz, 40 hz, 50 hz, 63 hz, on up and through 10 khz, 12.5 khz, 16 khz, 20 khz,  etc.  The Lab 2 is audible down to 31.5 hz, and between 31.5 hz and 20 hz is basically rumble and feeling.  I can't feel anything at 10 hz. On the upper end it is audible to at least 16 khz, above 16 khz it jumps to 20 khz, 25 khz, 32 khz, 40 khz, 50 khz... and either the Lab 2 did not reach beyond 16 khz or my hearing cannot pick up that level of sound.  Don't know which is which.  But I am satisfies that the Lab 2 can deliver between 20 hz to 16 khz.  The rest is just personal preferences and can be manage through eq but at least I know it can go down to 20 hz.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #7,040 of 11,642
Very different sounding.

Thank you, Bengkia, for your reply. I still love my IE 800, but the AKR02 is my goto IEM.

I should just be happy with what I have, but this hobby of ours has a way of capturing one's imagination. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #7,041 of 11,642

I put the Lab 2 through the paces with the Audiophile Hi-Res System Test disk from HDTracks, it has frequency ranges from 10 hz, 20 hz, 25 hz, 31.5 hz, 40 hz, 50 hz, 63 hz, on up and through 10 khz, 12.5 khz, 16 khz, 20 khz,  etc.  The Lab 2 is audible down to 31.5 hz, and between 31.5 hz and 20 hz is basically rumble and feeling.  I can't feel anything at 10 hz. On the upper end it is audible to at least 16 khz, above 16 khz it jumps to 20 khz, 25 khz, 32 khz, 40 khz, 50 khz... and either the Lab 2 did not reach beyond 16 khz or my hearing cannot pick up that level of sound.  Don't know which is which.  But I am satisfies that the Lab 2 can deliver between 20 hz to 16 khz.  The rest is just personal preferences and can be manage through eq but at least I know it can go down to 20 hz.

Most likely your hearing, i can not hear more than 18khz on any headphone/iem.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #7,042 of 11,642
I read long ago that our high frequency hearing capability is best when we are teenagers, after that, a slow, gradual decline.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #7,045 of 11,642

If you are older than 30 there is 99% probability that you don't hear beyond 15khZ

There's no money up there anyway.

(Did you hear the 1MORE Quad Driver has a BA dedicated to 20kHz to 40kHz? Idiocy....)

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #7,046 of 11,642
There's no money up there anyway.

(Did you hear the 1MORE Quad Driver has a BA dedicated to 20kHz to 40kHz? Idiocy....)

There is talk about the body being able to "receive and process" these frequences in other ways that through hearing. I have no idea about the validity of this

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #7,047 of 11,642
There is talk about the body being able to "receive and process" these frequences in other ways that through hearing. I have no idea about the validity of this

I can totally buy that in the context of speaker stacks, particularly below 30Hz. But do we "want" 20-40kHz? What's up there?

Assuming that frequency band is even present on any recording ever.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #7,048 of 11,642
I can totally buy that in the context of speaker stacks, particularly below 30Hz. But do we "want" 20-40kHz? What's up there?

Assuming that frequency band is even present on any recording ever.

The frequencies over 20khz are present in at least som hires recordings and what is up there are multiples of overtones from instruments. Wether theese can be percieved through headphones I don't know, I think what I read was that some researches claim they are registered through the eyes and used by the brain to interpret the music. I have not done any research on this so have no idea as to validity

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #7,049 of 11,642
The frequencies over 20khz are present in at least som hires recordings and what is up there are multiples of overtones from instruments. Wether theese can be percieved through headphones I don't know, I think what I read was that some researches claim they are registered through the eyes and used by the brain to interpret the music. I have not done any research on this so have no idea as to validity

Sure, the overtones exist coming from the instruments (do people still play those?), but do the microphones record them?

I know the "High Res Audio" certification requires a 20Hz-40kHz frequency response range. I believe this to be an endeavor for marketing purposes only.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #7,050 of 11,642
Sure, the overtones exist coming from the instruments (do people still play those?), but do the microphones record them?

I know the "High Res Audio" certification requires a 20Hz-40kHz frequency response range. I believe this to be an endeavor for marketing purposes only.

Yes people still play instruments, not all music is electronic or computergenerated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back