Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #5,552 of 11,642
  Does anyone have an opinion of how close does the Heaven VI come to conveying the sound of the Lab 1?

or are they not that similar?

Thanks

Both excellent but not too similar. The Heaven VI is all about the euphonics. It has heavenly mids with vocals especially compelling. The soundstage is reasonably wide and has good imaging because of the single BA. The Heaven VI does everything well. It is my go-to IEM.

The Lab 1 is all about ambience. It does things in the soundstage that are difficult to describe. Layering... pinpoint imaging L to R but oddly 3D from front to back... a dome like concert hall in your head... Like I said, it is difficult to describe.

I am of a small group who think that the Lab 1 is contender for most compelling headphone in the world. But it is not especially accurate or fast. It can't replace my HD800. The Heaven VI is also an all-round better performer across genres.

(It sounds like the Heaven VII and VIII might be closer in ambience to the Lab 1 but I have not heard them.)

May 24, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5,556 of 11,642
A couple more points about the Heaven Vi. They isolate better than the Lab1. I travel with both but on airplanes and trains I always use the Heaven VI. (Conversely, at my destination kicking back with a cigar, I always listen to the Lab 1.) The isolation does make the Heaven VI a better all purpose go-to IEM.

With Heaven VI, be sure to use the B tips (wide bore). I don't know why they even include the A tips. The wide bore gives some depth to the soundstage.

May 24, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #5,557 of 11,642

Cowon P1 - Not the best paired but ok when Amp'ed

For me order of best pairing is:

Tera Player + Portaphile 627 Micro (OPA627BP)
Calyx M + NXT-2AK
Tera Player + NXT-2AK
Tera Player
AK240SS + NXT-2AK
QLS QA360
RWAK120 Titan
AK120II

Haven't tried other pairings!

Have you not tried the Lotoo Paw Gold with the Lab 1? That pairing interests me!

May 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #5,558 of 11,642
  A couple more points about the Heaven Vi. They isolate better than the Lab1. I travel with both but on airplanes and trains I always use the Heaven VI. (Conversely, at my destination kicking back with a cigar, I always listen to the Lab 1.) The isolation does make the Heaven VI a better all purpose go-to IEM.

With Heaven VI, be sure to use the B tips (wide bore). I don't know why they even include the A tips. The wide bore gives some depth to the soundstage.

Sounds like these would be good for me in a few weeks...doing a ten hour to Prague. The plane's drone was so distracting last summer, i almost bought a pair of Bose NC.

May 25, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #5,562 of 11,642
does anyone know which of the three is the most balanced/analytical/detailed ?

Heaven 6-7-8

thanx

May 25, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #5,563 of 11,642
Not heard personally but it seems the VII is the one tuned for a more linear and analytical sound.

May 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,564 of 11,642
  Ordered a new pair of Heaven VI's just now...coming from Japan...

Excellent! (I got mine from Japan too.)

I had a fantastic session last night with the Calyx M and Heaven VI beside a river up here in Northern China. I just cannot fault this combination. It sounds great.

I declare that if someone asks me: "what should I get for a portable personal stereo?', my reply is that for about $1500 you cannot go wrong with the M and VI. 

May 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #5,565 of 11,642
By coincidence, i listened to the calyx and a&k 100ii side by side probably about 6 months ago...with the Heaven V....i eliminated the a&k within a few minutes....

it sounded so digital compared to the calyx. The calyx sounded so much more analogue, coherent and involving...you know when you just listen to the music and 

not the equipment....

I guess that's it: with the a&k 100ii, i was listening to the equipment and with the calyx, i was listening to the music....

now if only it was cheaper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back