Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #5,522 of 11,644
ok, spent yesterday a while with comparing the tips.

Soundwise the winner are the stock tips with the narrow bore. Everything (for me at least) sounds a bit clearer.
The Spinfits are pretty much same sound as the wide bore stock tips, but the SpinFits are more comfortable.

1. Nnarrow bore tips
2. SpinFIt tips
3. Wide bore stock tips

I might come back to a previous recommendation of the JVC Spiral Dot tips....

May 20, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #5,523 of 11,644
Can anyone give me any insight into how the Heaven S compares with the Heaven VIII, I had the Heaven S some time ago and it was got me into FAD, I am now seriously considering the Heaven VIII after conceding that the Lab 1 is perhaps a stretch too far even via the FS classifieds.

May 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #5,524 of 11,644

Soundwise the winner are the stock tips with the narrow bore. Everything (for me at least) sounds a bit clearer.
The Spinfits are pretty much same sound as the wide bore stock tips, but the SpinFits are more comfortable.

1. Nnarrow bore tips
2. SpinFIt tips
3. Wide bore stock tips

JVC did change the signature moreso than the spinfits to my ears. I like it, but it won't be an automatic choice given how it affects the sound.

Can anyone give me any insight into how the Heaven S compares with the Heaven VIII, I had the Heaven S some time ago and it was got me into FAD, I am now seriously considering the Heaven VIII after conceding that the Lab 1 is perhaps a stretch too far even via the FS classifieds.

Lab1 is a limited edition item which won't be produced anymore (I think). I remembered Heaven S sounds a bit less clearer , but clarity isn't its forte. It's the amazing coloring that's so alluring. Similarly, H8 didn't remind me of its clarity (directly compared to H7), but it has such relaxing signature with big bass that's very captivating.

May 20, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #5,525 of 11,644

1. Nnarrow bore tips
2. SpinFIt tips
3. Wide bore stock tips

I think it's great that you can tailor the sound just by switching tips! This reminds me of high end 2 channel where you

could change the sound of the whole system just by changing the speaker cables or interconnects. Changing the tips is

like fooling around with the tone controls....change to suit your current mood or music! By the way, i also prefer some of

the stock tips.

May 22, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,526 of 11,644
  After 2 months of owning Lab1 and H8 and compare them extensively, I can certainly say that LAB1 is far superior. Treble extension, resolution, soundstage - everything is better, fuller. H8 is superb too and if out and about is the best choice to have. Very good isolation.
I was mowing the lawn today and I didn't hear the lawn mower at all. For night time listening I prefer Lab1. Imho, the best universal IEMs from
what I heard, including 3003, FitEar and 1+2.

I am really, really glad you said that, after thinking about buying the VIII for the last few weeks i finally decided to just go right in at the deep end and buy the Lab1, they will be with me tomorrow.

May 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,527 of 11,644
Good choice, specially if you didn't overpay for them. Let us know your impressions.

May 22, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,528 of 11,644
Yes, I was going to go for the Lab 1, probably the one you got but i just couldn't come up with enough cash right now, needed to wait a month. So getting the Heaven VIII instead because i could credit card it. Hopefully later get the Lab, I'm kinda bummed but is what it is. Is that the one that was on the for sale new in the box? Good for you. Look forward to your impressions.

I am really, really glad you said that, after thinking about buying the VIII for the last few weeks i finally decided to just go right in at the deep end and buy the Lab1, they will be with me tomorrow.

May 23, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #5,529 of 11,644
^ No I didn't get those ones, they seem a fantastic deal though. I am in the UK so I bought locally. The have just arrived! But due to commitments I won't be able listen till tonight, it's going to be a long day.

May 23, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #5,530 of 11,644
Can I ask which sources are people enjoying with the Lab 1? At the moment I only have my iPhone 6 and a Fiio X1, I know they are going to bottleneck the Lab 1 to some extent so weighing up my options.

May 23, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #5,532 of 11,644
Cayin N6 is my favorite and the only  DAP to use with LAB1.

May 23, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #5,533 of 11,644
I am appreciating these 'best DAP for Lab 1' posts. The Calyx M is perfect for the Heaven VI. Perfect, I say! It is very good with the Lab 1 but I am not convinced that it is perfect. Left right imaging is pinpoint and they create forward to back ambience to die for but... both produce thick dome-like environments of their nature. These are not airy devices. Which is fine - I have my GS-X mk2 and HD800s for air. But the combination of Calyx M and Lab 1 may be just a little too thick and integrated. I love it - especially in the right mood - a concert hall in my head - but I think that a less thick DAP might suit the Lab 1 even more than the Calyx M.

(I have also extensively used the Aclear Porta NXT-2AK between the Calyx M and Lab 1 which opens up the sound beautifully but you do pay a price on bass impact. I am now back and forth on the cost/benefit of that. Also throwing that tiny but heavy device in the middle makes things physically clumsy. )

vadzakhar, you suggest the Cayin N6. I will take a look at that. AK240 is not a value proposition that I am too interested in. Maybe the DX90 or Sony NW-ZX2?

May 23, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #5,534 of 11,644
I also recommend the Cayin N6. I used the Final Audio Heaven V with it recently. Now the Heaven V is not as thick sounding as the VI. I found the combo using

the Heaven V to be clear and wide but actually a little too thin sounding (just a little) to my taste so I am confident that the thicker sounding Heaven VI would be

a great match!

May 23, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #5,535 of 11,644
^ The AK240 is also not even on my radar due to price, but the DX90 or the ZX2 are two I was thinking about. Vladzakar thanks for the heads up on the Cayin N6, it looks a wary interesting propersition and priced exactly where I am comfortable with. I have just read the Headphonics review of the N6, does that match your thoughts on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back