Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #5,072 of 11,686
  Quick Impressions:

As I sit here with the Lab 1, Heaven 7, and Heaven 8...I realize that I am dealing with a very, very different beasts.  Please understand that these are first impressions, and that I may even take a 180 turn when I publish my final review (and even then my opinion might change afterwards).

1. The Heaven 7 brings to the table excellent detail retrieval that isn't shy about making its presence known.  It's got excellent clarity with a slight bias to the highs.  However, it sounds just a little "safe" at times with its less-than-enveloping sound and lighter bass (in comparison to the Lab 1's "weighty" bass).  It's hard to fault technically, and those looking for more traditionally performing earphones should be quite satisfied.

1. The Lab 1 maintains its position as the master of creating amazing musical experiences.  It's really quite hard to beat, and feels like the "next level" in comparison to the Heaven 7.  Once again, it has a certain je ne sais quoi that often allows it to gain an "edge".  However, it is also unpredictable at times, which is the unavoidable consequence of performing excellently in certain areas.  

1. The Heaven 8 I have saved for last, simply because it amazes me in the same manner that I experienced when I first tested the Lab 1 (in a different way of course).  Bringing a slightly more "conventional" bass to the table, it nonetheless maintains quite a lot of weightiness.  It's got a more immediate sound than the Lab 1, and brings the Heaven 7's great detail retrieval to the table as well.  It's one of the most balanced, and yet amazingly engaging earphones that I've tried.  
    1. Make no mistake, this is NOT a Poor Man's Lab 1.  To make such a sweeping conclusion would be doing a huge disservice to the Lab 1 and the Heaven 8 at the same time.  

Ladies and Gentlemen, FAD has done it again.  Amazing.

If you have listened to the Heaven V's, please let me know where this lies in comparision to the Heaven VII and VIII...I am really trying to decide if I am ready for this upgrade.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #5,073 of 11,686
  I'm still a little confused on how the VIII sounds in relation to the VII.  Obviously the more neutral leaning VII sounds like it would probably be right up my alley, but I could be interested in the VIII if it sort of splits the difference of the Lab 1 and VII (gross over generalization) but the blingy gold is a bit of turn off.  Anyway, please keep the impressions and especially comparisons coming!

X2

All I'm getting is harder better faster stronger.

I'll see whether I can audition the VIII in the shop I got my VII from.

Most likely it won't be my cuppa, since the VII is already fuller / richer than both the SS and UERM. But that doesn't mean that I'm not curious... 
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #5,074 of 11,686
Does anyone else have a Heaven V or similar with an intermittent "buzzing" at low frequencies on one channel? It sounds like some sort of resonance.

There is no channel imbalance and no apparent increase in distortion. Could something somewhere be blocked? Does the BAM use the cable strain relief as a form of reflex port?

I bought these on vacation in Japan and have mislaid the purchase receipt (so - no warranty!).

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #5,076 of 11,686

I'll see whether I can audition the VIII in the shop I got my VII from.

Most likely it won't be my cuppa, since the VII is already fuller / richer than both the SS and UERM. But that doesn't mean that I'm not curious... 
wink.gif

Got reply from the shop that they'll get a VIII demo pair in January.

So the plan is to arrange an audition asap, then ship my VII to musicbird (I owe him for the LAB 1 loan), optionally followed by a short loan tour for the usual suspects (if needed). 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #5,077 of 11,686
Does anyone else have a Heaven V or similar with an intermittent "buzzing" at low frequencies on one channel? It sounds like some sort of resonance.

There is no channel imbalance and no apparent increase in distortion. Could something somewhere be blocked? Does the BAM use the cable strain relief as a form of reflex port?

I bought these on vacation in Japan and have mislaid the purchase receipt (so - no warranty!).

I have had my Heaven V for just over a year and never experienced anything...they work beautifully. Contact Final Audio...

you may not need a receipt.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #5,078 of 11,686

I used my desktop rig for the Heaven V now and everything works fine. Maybe you should try contacting FAD, the japanese one to be exact (though there are some bad customer service reported by some guys a few pages ago I think). Nevertheless good luck :blush:

BTW can you guys recommend any full-size headphones that share the same signature of the Heaven V for 200$? The Pandora Hope VI are kinda out of reach for me, and the IV don't have much review, and the only one I found criticize it's treble to the point it is unlistenable without EQ.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #5,079 of 11,686
Frankly, the closest I can get to that signature with my current arsenal of full size cans is a pair of Grado SR225i which I modded with Cocobolo cups from Yew Woodworks. The speed and immediacy of the midrange, coupled with the resonant, full upper bass is difficult to match...

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5,080 of 11,686

I used my desktop rig for the Heaven V now and everything works fine. Maybe you should try contacting FAD, the japanese one to be exact (though there are some bad customer service reported by some guys a few pages ago I think). Nevertheless good luck :blush:

BTW can you guys recommend any full-size headphones that share the same signature of the Heaven V for 200$? The Pandora Hope VI are kinda out of reach for me, and the IV don't have much review, and the only one I found criticize it's treble to the point it is unlistenable without EQ.

Following your experience, I plugged mine into my O2, and: no problem!

For some reason, they don't seem to like the headphone output of my HM-601LE or the HM-650 with the Minibox card. The O2, incidentally, is an excellent (if bulky) match...

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #5,081 of 11,686
Correction: as soon as the barrel of the IEM reaches body temperature (after about 5 mins. use), the distortion returns.

I suppose there is something loose in there!

I guess I will be trying to return them. They are of no use to me as is.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #5,083 of 11,686
So far, Amazon.co.jp have denied any responsibility for this (as the IEMs are outside the returns period), and I have been waiting for a few days for a response from Final.

If I have no warranty cover, do I just have a couple of very expensive baubles for the Christmas tree, or is it likely that a local authorised dealer (e.g. Jaben Shanghai) can organise a paid repair?

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #5,084 of 11,686
So far, Amazon.co.jp have denied any responsibility for this (as the IEMs are outside the returns period), and I have been waiting for a few days for a response from Final.

If I have no warranty cover, do I just have a couple of very expensive baubles for the Christmas tree, or is it likely that a local authorised dealer (e.g. Jaben Shanghai) can organise a paid repair?

I don't think any universal dealers or even manufacturers bother to repair any of their defective products. They usually just give you a fresh replacement since a repair is not worth the hassle. Regardless, you will need your receipt. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back