Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #5,026 of 11,686
Heaven VII - "on the move" impressions:
  1. TL;DR: these are very good IEMs for commuting / travelling, but less suited for fast walking / running
  2. Excellent isolation (comparable to Shure / Westone) due to their long tapered housings and non-vented design
  3. Great ergonomics - very easy to put in and take out when you're on the go
  4. Cable is supple in warm temperatures, but tends to become stiffer and harder to wear over-ears below freezing point
  5. Absence of chin slider is annoying - build your own DIY slider
  6. Louder-than-average footfall noise, a result of high isolation and bone conduction via metal housings
  7. Seal tends to loosen during physical activity, due to high weight of the housings
  8. Lotsa looks from the female half of the population. If that makes you uneasy, be sure to get the non-glitz version.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #5,027 of 11,686
  1. TL;DR: these are very good IEMs for commuting / travelling, but less suited for fast walking / running
  2. Excellent isolation (comparable to Shure / Westone) due to their long tapered housings and non-vented design
  3. Great ergonomics - very easy to put in and take out when you're on the go
  4. Cable is supple in warm temperatures, but tends to become stiffer and harder to wear over-ears below freezing point
  5. Absence of chin slider is annoying - build your own DIY slider
  6. Louder-than-average footfall noise, a result of high isolation and bone conduction via metal housings
  7. Seal tends to loosen during physical activity, due to high weight of the housings
  8. Lotsa looks from the female half of the population. If that makes you uneasy, be sure to get the non-glitz version.

But... bu-but once you go black :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,028 of 11,686
Thanks, just checked and it reads to me that it will be a color that is limited to the FAD direct shop for purchase, not that it will be a limited quantity produced item.

Okay maybe it's not limited then but limited in terms of online purchase route for matte black model - official online site only.

Their statement is a bit ambiguous. My view is if they are not globaly distributing then production will be limited. But its just my opinion. I might be wrong - let's hope so.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #5,031 of 11,686
  • TL;DR: these are very good IEMs for commuting / travelling, but less suited for fast walking / running
  • Excellent isolation (comparable to Shure / Westone) due to their long tapered housings and non-vented design
  • Great ergonomics - very easy to put in and take out when you're on the go
  • Cable is supple in warm temperatures, but tends to become stiffer and harder to wear over-ears below freezing point
  • Absence of chin slider is annoying - build your own DIY slider
  • Louder-than-average footfall noise, a result of high isolation and bone conduction via metal housings
  • Seal tends to loosen during physical activity, due to high weight of the housings
  • Lotsa looks from the female half of the population. If that makes you uneasy, be sure to get the non-glitz version.

Kind of surprised they managed to get rid of cable noise tbh.

... The good kind of looks? :D

Would you say in your relative opinion that they're worth the money?

Idsynchrono_24
PriceJapan's fees as pretty high on this one...

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #5,032 of 11,686
For those who are contemplating buying the new heaven vii and viii, I strongly recommend you guys to audition both before deciding. Let's say the 8 is the pinnacle of the FAD tunning of its single BA setup - i.e. FAD to the extreme, which is quite a quirky and, um, unconventional tuning.

Impressions of the 8 in a few words:
- Very airy
- Very fat mids, but a bit unfocused
- Funky FR........the vocals sounds totally out of proportion from the other part of the music. Heavily colored, as in many other FADs.
- VERY dark........rather than a matter of extension, I consider it a result of blocking effect due to the highly boosted mids
- Deep and sort of sonorous bass of pretty good quality, especially considering it's single BA based. We rarely talk about resolution of the bass but here I found the bass resolution is quite spectacular.......somehow even better than the mids resolution

On the other hand, the 7 merges typical FAD qualities with a (tiny bit) more conventional approach, resulting in a signature much more agreeable to my ears.
- Much more transparent sounding than the 8
- Still airy, not as extreme as the 8
- The mids are now in a more correct position and size......vocals rather addictive
- FAD FR graphs will NEVER be pretty, and I'm sure that's the same with the 7, tho it won't beat the 8 for funkiness
- The highs are back..........but still not the best extension. Lacks some serious sparkle, but can do in most situations. I'm sure no one would complain either the 7 or 8 for sibilance........that's plain impossible
- Bass is lesser in quantity but more or less the same in quality....I think the 7 extends more linearly than the 8

In the end I got the 7 and is prepared to see how it grows. I gave the 8 a lot of trial time, hoping to find something I can appreciate more than the 7. After some acclimatisation to the tuning after playing around 10 songs thru it I admittedly found it less "offensive" sounding than the first listen, but still............it's not the right sound. It's just not right, that's it. My two cents and YMMV.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #5,034 of 11,686
Okay maybe it's not limited then but limited in terms of online purchase route for matte black model - official online site only.

Their statement is a bit ambiguous. My view is if they are not globaly distributing then production will be limited. But its just my opinion. I might be wrong - let's hope so.

The matte black is available from importers, I just asked earlier today with PriceJapan.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd think it's limited in terms of not having as many made as the polished silver version. The gold version of the PFX was like this for a long time.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5,035 of 11,686
On a trip to Japan in October, I bought a pair of Heaven Vs.

Since then, these have become my go-to IEMs (I rarely use the others now...).

Recently, however, I have noticed an issue. At moderate volume levels, I have noticed a rattling distortion on the left channel on low frequency transients (e.g. low piano chords). This became increasingly annoying, until I removed the ear tip and blew into the nozzle (leaving the filter in place). The rattle now seems to have disappeared, hopefully for good.

Any idea what this is? I hope it has cleared up, as I have stupidly mislaid the Amazon.jp purchase receipt, and I doubt in any case if the warranty would be valid here in China (I suppose I could try shipping them back to Japan, if necessary).

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #5,036 of 11,686
On a trip to Japan in October, I bought a pair of Heaven Vs.

Since then, these have become my go-to IEMs (I rarely use the others now...).

Recently, however, I have noticed an issue. At moderate volume levels, I have noticed a rattling distortion on the left channel on low frequency transients (e.g. low piano chords). This became increasingly annoying, until I removed the ear tip and blew into the nozzle (leaving the filter in place). The rattle now seems to have disappeared, hopefully for good.

Any idea what this is? I hope it has cleared up, as I have stupidly mislaid the Amazon.jp purchase receipt, and I doubt in any case if the warranty would be valid here in China (I suppose I could try shipping them back to Japan, if necessary).

Damn. I had the same issue. I thought it was my source problem (Lumia 1520 and Topping NX1, a terrible source certainly with annoying hiss and EIM). I will need to test this when the replacement of my DX50 comes. What source are you using?

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5,037 of 11,686
All of the following:

HM-601LE / Cayin C5
HM-650 (Minibox card)
iPod Classic 160GB / Sony PHA-1

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #5,039 of 11,686

The matte black finish is smexxxy...

Damn. I wish they had that option or at least a silvery color for the Heaven VIII. Gold and rose gold were lovely on the Heaven VI but with the studded new Heavens, it's too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back