Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2,312 of 11,644
i keep seeing talk here as soon as someone brings up a measurement that they're interested in the gear not the music, they can't make an emotional connection with music, they have no soul - yada yada. it's a rubbish argument and it makes you sound like a bunch of flat-earthers. :wink:

measurements are nothing to get defensive about. they're just a tool and no one in their right mind is going to say that you should rely on them instead of your ears when you're judging a phone. I gave the PFs a fair hearing and wasn't impressed. when I saw the frequency response measurements they lined up with what I'd heard. and I'm not the only one who's reacted to them in that way.

facts are the measurements show a mid-centric phone with very rolled off highs and lows and that's how they sound. they color fhe sound of recorded music in an unusual way and its polarising. some love it some don't. but understand that they aren't reproducing music recordings faithfully and afaik the goal of high fidelity sound has always been to be faithful to the recording. the PFs are more like the audio version of mind altering drugs and if you dig the effect then enjoy the trip man. :wink:

I love music and I didn't take to how the PFs were reinterpreting mine. apart from the frequency imbalance i thought the tonality sounded off. the fi-ba-ss did a better job imho. it sounded more accurate, faithful, true to the recording - in other words closer to high fidelity music reproduction.

I came to head fi find some great sounding phones. I didn't know what a headphone graph was but I do now and think they're useful because they're an objective reference for what we hear. you can use them or ignore them. they're not going to change how a phone sounds and they shouldn't influence if you like it or not but they might help you understand why a phone sounds the way it does and that can't be a bad thing. dissing measurements and lumping people who refer to them in their overall assessment of a phone into a group of soulless headphone geeks is pretty childish imho.

for me it's all about the music and it bugs me how some of you here act like you've got a mortgage on that - like you somehow have a special insight into the beauty of music just because you happen to dig some exotic Japanese phones that look gorgeous, sound interesting and measure badly, while thinking that it's entirely lost on the rest of us. that kind of elitist attitude strikes me as delusional and a bit pathetic tbh.

I keep coming back to this thread even though I don't own a FAD phone because it's an appreciation and discussion thread. some of you should try to accept that this is a headphone forum not a music appreciation society or an exclusive FAD club. so chances are there's going to be some critical comment about how even your precious FAD phones sound and measure. :wink:

Agree!

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,313 of 11,644
Quote:

I can't answer your question directly, however I am a visual being as well. Listening to music through my FAD phones brings about such images in my mind:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I really like your sense of composition. It becomes almost subconscious for visual artists and designers but proportions are so important.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #2,314 of 11,644
Up late and Inks, no one is twisting your arm to come here.

If you don't like how this thread runs then I suggest you hang out in the more combative ego based threads where you can rain on other peoples parades with aplomb.

I simply do not get why you like to pour vinegar on other peoples fun and passion, it is I feel an immensely immature way to lead a life.

The whole point of headphones is to listen to music so appreciation of music goes hand in hand with the enjoyment of the equipment used. Your statement Uplate just goes to prove a point I made earlier. Two camps in HiFi, those who listen to equipment and those who listen to music.

By your own admission you prefer the former over the latter.

Anyway fellow chums who like the way this thread is run, I suggest from now on just not responding to these two. I know I am biting now but it will be the last time as both are about to be blocked as their comments are only made to gain some petty ego points to show they are cleverer than us "fools" who love these headphones!

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #2,318 of 11,644
Up late and Inks, no one is twisting your arm to come here.

If you don't like how this thread runs then I suggest you hang out in the more combative ego based threads where you can rain on other peoples parades with aplomb.

I simply do not get why you like to pour vinegar on other peoples fun and passion, it is I feel an immensely immature way to lead a life.

The whole point of headphones is to listen to music so appreciation of music goes hand in hand with the enjoyment of the equipment used. Your statement Uplate just goes to prove a point I made earlier. Two camps in HiFi, those who listen to equipment and those who listen to music.

By your own admission you prefer the former over the latter.

Anyway fellow chums who like the way this thread is run, I suggest from now on just not responding to these two. I know I am biting now but it will be the last time as both are about to be blocked as their comments are only made to gain some petty ego points to show they are cleverer than us "fools" who love these headphones!

you've missed the point every time man and you're twisting my words - very uncool.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,319 of 11,644
OK, so presumably you don't think Inks is in his right mind...

No you presume that, we have a similar stance. I don't rely in graphs solely, but I do point a finger when there's something just blatantly bad.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2,320 of 11,644
Observing the tribal-like loyalties centering around the evidently shared and admittedly uncommon personal listening preferences that seemingly throw the concepts of neutrality and frequency extension out the window, and the extremely erudite post-purchase rationalizations contained herein, this entire thread is an interesting study of certain psychologies. Personally I find the Cardas Ear Mirrors a more compelling concept regardless of price, but they are not quite as shiny.
Please carry on
popcorn.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2,322 of 11,644
From post #3 of (now) 2326:

Quote:

That aside, I must admit this thread has quite a bit of potential for turning into a train wreck. Whenever FAD gets mentioned 'round these parts, it tends to solicit comments about outrageous prices, questions of value, accusations of snake oil changing hands, and a whole host of tired, recycled content from individuals who don't understand the company's M.O. and target demographic and, often times, haven't even listened to a single FAD product.

I think that we should only be surprised that it took this long.  
size]

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,324 of 11,644
I don't get it. Some don't like that sound, some enjoy it very much (I do). It' just two person touching different part of the same elephant (music) and claim they know it all. I guess sometimes it's okay to stick to your own beliefs and let's call it a day.

Thinking what songs I should play next with PF IX...

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,325 of 11,644
Quote:
I don't get it. Some don't like that sound, some enjoy it very much (I do). It' just two person touching different part of the same elephant (music) and claim they know it all. I guess sometimes it's okay to stick to your own beliefs and let's call it a day.

Thinking what songs I should play next with PF IX...

As a Korean who eats quite a lot of instant noodle, some people prefer it with more water in, others prefer it with less water. Some people think putting an egg is the best way to eat them while others, such as me, think putting an egg in is a sin, and thus strictly prohibited by law.

I find it interesting how they're quite similar. It's all matter of preference. Some people like diffuse-field equalized flat headphones (such as Emetics), some other people prefer raw flat headphones (such as TF10), and finally there is some other people who can afford the price (which is, for me, ridiculously high) and love Final Audio Design.

There is some extreme cases such as -20dB dips or non-existence treble (or bass), but also there are people who like their instant noodle with no seasoning at all or even go fried noodle with almost no water put in. I think FAD is, well, some of its products are, more of an extreme case of the spectrum.

So, I think we should stop calling someones preference, or hobby thingy if you want to call it, bad and make a train wreck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back