Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,191 of 11,644
Quote:

... Not my best, by any means, but worth posting, I think. Although I'm sure music would disagree.

You bet! 

(beautiful pic, wonderful highlights indeed!)

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,192 of 11,644
Quote:

Which means I'm in for a Sunday morning (time difference) listen next week, though I might be a bit late depending on your schedule.

Excellent! We need to find a time that works for the group. 

Quote:
Hi all. SF, my lack of reply is not due to lack of interest. Been on holiday with the family with limited listening time and limited 'net time. I really do want to participate in the listen-in's in the future!

Also excellent!

Quote:
For the record, (james), my shot was taken at two stories. And yes, I almost lost them. 
size]

You dangerous-seeking fellows! You make me cringe, but the photo was totally worth it. Love the hint of sparkle off the nozzle of the earphone from the suns rays. And I think you NAILED the depth of field. It's a perfect background. Colorful, and vivacious, like the PFs themselves. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,194 of 11,644
Check out this new little offering being sold through Musica Acoustics.

Possibly a truly portable (rather than transportable) solution for PFIX, even though the PFIX isn't really portable. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,196 of 11,644
Quote:
For the record, (james), my shot was taken at two stories. And yes, I almost lost them. 
size]

We should probably stop here and now... I can foresee how this might end. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Check out this new little offering being sold through Musica Acoustics.

Possibly a truly portable (rather than transportable) solution for PFIX, even though the PFIX isn't really portable. 

"This high-performance 6111SQ Sub MT Tube is also used on Patriot missile." - What a selling point! 
blink.gif

Quote:
Variations on a theme. And yes music, no lies, and no photoshop. :)

Awesome as always.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,197 of 11,644
You know, this is what HiFi is meant to be all about! A truly great system should actually make you forget about highs and lows, about micro details and such. The measure of a truly great HiFi system is that it simply should disappear and leave just the performance.

The FAD's may not tick all of Hertsen's and the rest of his brigades boxes but then most of us do not listen for measured responses, we do that crazy thing which is have great gear so we can forget about it and just listen to music! Crazy concept I know :wink:

The highest compliment I have had paid to me over the years of having fun trying to find a system that just makes me think about music and not all the HiFi details came the other week when an old friend came into town and had a listen to my system with both my PF's and T5P's.

At the end of listening to various genres for well over an hour he looked at me and straight faced said that there was nothing remarkable about the system, however, the music was so engrossing he just wanted to keep listening and listening!

I dunno Ian. I've been checking out that guy's site and he seems pretty reasonable to me. i think he listens to the phones before he measures them anyways. just because a phone measures badly doesn't mean that you're not allowed to like it. I mean you dig the PFs right? :wink:

but the PFs don't get out of the way of the music, they color it in a unique way and the measurements show why. that information might be useful for people who really dig the look of the phone but are after a more balanced sound - like me. :wink:

there's this other site called effin' ringin' and you wouldn't want to see what they think of the PF's there. lol! it's enough to bring a PF fan to tears.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,198 of 11,644
I don't think the problem is the graphs themselves, but that after said graphs are published, some people will refer to the 160Xs as "abominations", "crap", "piece of crap", specially when the tuning, as in the case of the 160Xs, is intentional.

Graphs can indeed be very useful particularly for (very) expensive products, most of which are very hard to audition. The graphs will not provide all the there is to the sound of a phone, but will certainly show enough useful information to those who can interpret them properly. (but, in my case, as noted already, I'm not always fully convinced by several FR graphs I've seen of several IEMs [not full-sized phones], some of which can vary depending on who's done the measurements)

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,199 of 11,644
Quote:
I don't think the problem is the graphs themselves, but that after said graphs are published, some people will refer to the 160Xs as "abominations", "crap", "piece of crap", specially when the tuning, as in the case of the 160Xs, is intentional.

Graphs can indeed be very useful particularly for (very) expensive products, most of which are very hard to audition. The graphs will not provide all the there is to the sound a phone, but will certainly show enough useful information to those who can interpret them properly. (but, in my case, as noted already, I'm not always fully convinced by several FR graphs I've seen of several IEMs [not full-sized phones], some of which can vary depending on who's done he measurements)

IME, the most a FR graph can tell you is just how loud a specific frequency range is. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,200 of 11,644
yep and that can tell you if the phone is mid centric with badly rolled off highs and lows - like the PFs. :wink:

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,203 of 11,644
Quote:
Output impedance is 10 ohms. I wouldn't expect it to do a good job with the 16 ohm 160Xs.

You have to look at a phone's impedance graph to assess this properly. The less deviation from a horizontal straight line, the less output impedance will be an issue.

The 1602 PFs have pretty linear impedance across the frequency range, so higher output impedance shouldn't have much influence on frequency response.

(source: Rin's blog)

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,204 of 11,644
Quote:
That impedance rule doesn't apply for iem dynamics.

Really? Why? It applies to dynamic full size headphones as I understand.

Quote:

You have to look at a phone's impedance graph to assess this properly. The less deviation from a horizontal straight line, the less output impedance will be an issue.

The 1602 PFs have pretty linear impedance across the frequency range, so higher output impedance shouldn't have much influence on frequency response.

(source: Rin's blog)

Interesting. I thought that there was an issue of power delivery where overcoming the high impedance essentially steals most of the power. 10 to 16 is a fairly major mismatch.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2,205 of 11,644
I don't think the problem is the graphs themselves, but that after said graphs are published, some people will refer to the 160Xs as "abominations", "crap", "piece of crap", specially [Size=12pt]when the tuning,[/Size] as in the case of the 160Xs, [Size=12pt]is intentional.[/Size]

Graphs can indeed be very useful particularly for (very) expensive products, most of which are very hard to audition. The graphs will not provide all the there is to the sound of a phone, but will certainly show enough useful information to those who can interpret them properly. (but, in my case, as noted already, I'm not always fully convinced by several FR graphs I've seen of several IEMs [not full-sized phones], some of which can vary depending on who's done the measurements)

That is quickly becoming the crux of many a recent argument post of mine around here. It's starting to become tiring honestly.

That impedance rule doesn't apply for iem dynamics.

It sure as heck applies to the ASG-1, unfortunately. But in many cases your point probably holds assuming nothing extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back