Final Audio Design Heaven IV
May 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #138 of 268
Can someone summarize the sound signature ? Is it worth buying at ~$200 ?

May 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #140 of 268
Isn't that your opinion on every Final Audio IEM so far...

and the PF II...

Yes and no. PF II is just straight up bad for the price ($80), no excuse for it when Sennheiser $25 earbuds has better sound. Blox M2c at just under $50 is a far better sounding earbuds than PF II ever could. The same (overpricing) can be said to FI-BA-SS, which is at best comparable to IEM half or less of its price (which is $1k). At least I though Heaven A and Heaven C is far reasonable buy, but Heaven A still comes short on IEM of the same price range. I also tried the few upper end PF models - really great sounding earbud, but like many of FAD models, sub-par cable and over-priced for what it does, and poor ergonomics since they are extremely heavy (and dislodge easily when I move m,y head around) . Though I will say they are great to look like, almost sculpture-like. As for Heaven IV, well, I have stated my opinion - good sounding, but I can get the TDK BA200 for the same price locally and TDK sounds better. So, nothing spectacular.

I know FAD has some fans in the forum, but I have listened to 6 of their earphones and only Heaven C gives me a good impression for its price/ performance ratio and Heaven IV isn't too bad either. You have to excuse me for not taking FAD as much of an audiophile brand, but more of a designer brand when most of what they offer, at least IMO, are great looking but over-priced. I am not saying they don't sound good, just not up to their asking price.

May 24, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #141 of 268
The FI-BA-SS is expensive but it's the most exceptional sounding single-driver IEM ever made and sculpted in stainless steel so it's ok.

I've been using earbuds since I was like 7 years old and got my first Sony Walkman, the Final Audio PF II sounds fine... if I have Sony EX1000 on my desk and take the PF II outside instead clearly they are doing something right, you didn't listen to them correctly.

May 24, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #142 of 268
I think there are two distinct sides to FAD, personally. On the one hand their BAs are pretty damn exceptional sounding "audiophile products," and I for one think they're competitive with anything else out there that a self-proclaimed audiophile would consider. To these ears IEMs don't get much better-sounding than the FI-BA-SS.

On the other hand their dynamic models (with the exception of the Adagio V perhaps) do sound pretty "far out there" in the spectrum of things. I feel that FAD has a very specific vision for what they want these models to sound like, ie. replicating the experience of listening to horn speakers in various acoustic environments, so they're tuned a bit out of the ordinary. Whether someone jives with it or not, well, that's one thing. But I don't think they're putting sound as an afterthought and looks before everything else. Even their most fanciful dynamic models look like they're designed around the principle of horn acoustics.

Edit:

I also think it's somewhat interesting that Cardas is using a very similar design to FAD's 1601 series, only they've dubbed it an "ear mirror." It's probably going to be tuned totally differently, but the design itself shows that FAD kind of knows what they're doing and isn't just worried about making stuff look pretty (though that IS a concern).

May 24, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #143 of 268
The FI-BA-SS is expensive but it's the most exceptional sounding[COLOR=0000FF] single-driver IEM[/COLOR] ever made and sculpted in stainless steel so it's ok.

I am actually not concern about how many driver it has, just how it sounds. Afterall I still really enjoy ER4S. On that point, I still don't find it to worth its asking price, stainless steel or not. Atomic Floyd makes all of their IEM in Stainless steel as well and look better in person than FAD's housing, and I don't see them asking for $1K for their IEM.

I've been using earbuds since I was like 7 years old and got my first Sony Walkman, the Final Audio PF II sounds fine... if I have Sony EX1000 on my desk and take the PF II outside instead clearly they are doing something right, you didn't listen to them correctly.

I own >250 pairs of headphones+earphones currently, a collection spreading over 10 years - but I don't think this is a pissing contest. Having more headphone or spending more money/time doesn't mean one person's opinion is more valid than other. If PF II happens to be the only earbuds that I can't use 'right', than it is too bad for me and more power to you. But blaming an sub-par, over-priced earbuds on an experienced user for not 'getting it' is pretty low, if you ask me.

I am off.

May 24, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #144 of 268
The thing I don't get is that the SE535 and LTD-J sound good, but they're nothing spectacular, either; yet, no one goes out of their way to say that about them. In fact, the SE315 might be one of the poorest values around in their stated price range, and the SE425 isn't a money saver, either. Shure has never been a brand that gives people the best bang-for-their-buck, and neither has FAD; the fact of the matter is that FAD likes to design goal-oriented earphones --- like MF mentioned, their high-end dynamics attempt to replicate the feel of horn speakers, and thus are functionally and aesthetically fashioned as such. Their BAs don't exactly set the world on fire with value, but they do all give the listener pleasant listening experiences. No one is trying to (nor should) champion FAD as a 'good value' company. Why can't we get that out of our heads? Yes, they make mind-bogglingly expensive products, but so what? No one's panning the AKG K240 or even the K701 because of the K3003.

Currently, the Heaven IV is one of the better value products in the FAD lineup, but in no way should it be compared to the value of a BA200, which can be had for as low as $125 when on heavy discount. At 'normal discount', the BA200 is $185, which is MSRP for the Heaven IV when converted from JPY. MSRP for the BA200 is $250. Currently, the Heaven IV is on 'normal discount' for 13,200 JPY ($165) on Kakaku.

If ClieOS says the BA200 is better-sounding than the Heaven IV, then that's reasonable, since it has a nominal premium of about $20. Now, I don't believe ClieOS can state unequivocally, according to his rating scale, that the BA200 is far more than $20 better-sounding, because I'm pretty sure he hasn't spent that much time with the Heaven IV. Thus, the jury's still out.

May 24, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #145 of 268
On a more Heaven IV-specific note, I had to send mine back to Japan for a replacement because the cloth filter on the left side kept falling off --- not enough adhesive, probably. Anyways, I took a peep on the insides. The cloth filter on the front isn't its real damper. The real damper is some kind of porous, white material recessed inside the housing. It vaguely reminds me of the stuff that B&W uses on their C5, but I don't know if they're the same or not. The porous material hides the BA driver from view. I didn't detect any real changes using the Heaven IV without the cloth front filter, so it's probably only for keeping ear wax out.

May 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #146 of 268
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am actually not concern about how many driver it has, just how it sounds. Afterall I still really enjoy ER4S. On that point, I still don't find it to worth its asking price, stainless steel or not. Atomic Floyd makes all of their IEM in Stainless steel as well and look better in person than FAD's housing, and I don't see them asking for $1K for their IEM.

You said FAD are form over function, if I recall correctly you compared them to Bang & Olufsen in a different thread.  My counterpoint is they have the best sounding single driver IEM, that is a very high sonic achievement.

I compared the FI-BA-SS with JH Audio JH11, which are of equal price, and the JH is technically better, but there is no fairness in the comparison, it's like comparing a $1000 special flute from Japan to a $1000 xylophone.

For the PF II, it really isn't overpriced.

May 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #147 of 268
It seems like it's the same conversation in every thread where a very expensive universal is anywhere in the same city, not that they aren't fun.
I'm with Tom, there's no point in talking about value in regard to a product that was never meant to be a value. Besides, pricing is a matter of intentions, expectations, and results. It's business.

May 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #148 of 268
personally i own a Adagio V, i like the sound compared with similar price range such as shure series and sennheiser, it's give me the crisp and detail i want.
Have a tried on Heaven IV in a store, everything is fine however there's recessed in mid, for fast track kpop, it's fine thou. 

May 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #149 of 268
You said FAD are form over function, if I recall correctly you compared them to Bang & Olufsen in a different thread.  My counterpoint is they have the best sounding single driver IEM, that is a very high sonic achievement.

I compared the FI-BA-SS with JH Audio JH11, which are of equal price, and the JH is technically better, but there is no fairness in the comparison, it's like comparing a $1000 special flute from Japan to a $1000 xylophone.

For the PF II, it really isn't overpriced.

If you are happy then good for you. There is no point arguing around and around as I already state my points and I am not going to repeat my words.

May 25, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #150 of 268
Yup the Adagio II, III, V, Piano (Vocal) Forte II and Heaven A / C are all excellent value for money, they are selling like hot dogs at a baseball game in Japan.

The II, III are for bass, the PF II for vocals, the V for highs and the Heaven A / C for balance, but they're all in the same ballpark of excellent strikeout to walk ratio.

Use OPA2111KP or OPA111AM with the PF II as the designated hitter for the hardest line drive to the infield and you'll be hearing cheering accolades until the ninth inning.

The nay-sayers like to think all the top players are trained in Illinois, they just don't follow the professional league, they need to pull their white socks up because defensive indifference never stole any bases.

The FI-BA-SS single-handedly hit a fly ball so hard you can vividly hear angel's whispering in heaven speak.

First there was light and finally there was audio, the Japan Victor became the heaven lotus in fairy fire.

Sony paved in gold what is returned in copper, a lucid imagination set free only by the curtails of a Chinese dynasty.

“Sony once hit home runs, but now it’s lost its touch,” said Akihiko Jojima, an analyst and author of the book Sony’s Sickness. “Sony still makes competent products but they’re all just boring ground balls.” — Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times, 28 March 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back