Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #2,072 of 4,847
I've heard really good things about the FA-10, slightly warm and kind of tubey feel, very similar to Kinki THR-1, probably very very enjoyable but not uber detailed/resolutive

About the CMA12 I've read good things too but for me the real deal would be to listen to TOTL with a Niimbus or Riviera and taste what is all that about, are they really that good? do they really improve the listening experience beyond low/mid tier amps? haha
Be careful with your wallet, my friend :beerchug:

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,073 of 4,847
Speaking of amps, my new Monoprice Liquid Gold X amp is finally burned in (>150 hrs), so last night I installed it in my side system (headphone only) with Lush Phasure v1 USB cable to Audio GD DAC, then on to LGX. Headphone was my D8K with "G" type earpads.

Nothing scientific, no comparisons to other amps--but the sound was so good I could hardly believe it. Everything I like about the D8K came through even more noticeably in this rig (what a great headphone this is!).

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,074 of 4,847
Speaking of amps, the D8K definitely improves in my experience as they are very reflective of any changes in the audio chain. To my ears it is a clear and big step up to proper amps even from something like the RME ADI-2's headphone out. I have got the Soloist 3XP and the iFi Pro iCan Signature with me. The D8K really sings from both of these amps.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,075 of 4,847
After two months with the Empyrean and the D8000 I think I have finally reached a confident conclusion.

This two months included almost everyday listening with some breaks and some dedicated time to each headphones as well as A/B comparisons using different amps.

I generally like the Empyrean's easy listening yet natural sound. I also love the D8000's more punchy and more dynamic yet equally fun sound. IMO swapping the stock D8K pads for the D8Kpro (G pads) is an absolute necessity. It adds a lot to comfort and also a bit to sound balance.

The D8K also improves a lot with better DACs and amps. Even more so than the Empyrean, although the former Meze flagship can also benefit from a good source and cable.

I mainly compared these two headphones from the Burson Soloist 3XP with the Super Charger 3A in power amp mode and the new iFi iCan Pro Siganture.

Both are fantastic headphones, I think I could probably live with either of them. Yet I personally chose the D8K under the previously described circumstances. Both carry flagship qualities which IMO is mainly creating a realistic and lifelike experience unlike mid-fi favourites like Arya or LCD-X which are technically great but not that lifelike in comparison.

The Empyrean has a slightly bigger soundstage and a lighter, easier sound. It is very relaxing, ethereal in a way. Lifelikeness and softness that comes to mind with good bass quantity. Yet the amount/detail of information the Empyrean's sound carries I think is less than in the D8K's presentation.

At this point I have to mention that I really like Audeze headphones (LCD2, LCD2C, LCD4, LCD-X). They reproduce bass like no other headphones. I am mostly referring to extension and impact, authority. Authoritative quality versus pure quantity if we want to keep it simple. Audeze headphones to me, except the new LCD-5 which I have not heard yet, fall short of either lifelikeness (LCD-3 and below) or openness (LCD-4) in the upper mids/treble compared to the Empyrean. In pure bass quality even the LCD-X beats the Empyrean but the rest is simply incomparable so the Empy is still the ultimate winner.

I hope I can try the LCD-5 one day, but until then let's get back to the D8K.
To me the D8K (with the G pad in balanced mode on a good amp) beats the Empyrean's pleasant easy listening experience.
The best and most obvious difference is how the two headphones render bass and drums. Obviously with modern music this is more obvious (I mostly listen to modern music). To put it bluntly, D8K smashes the Empy in bass performance. The Empy might have the bass quantity, but bass on the D8K is more refined, more separated, more impactful and more tangible. Drums are more rounded and more lifelike. This bass reminds me to LCD-4 bass, although not quite the same. Definitely much closer to my personal preference regarding perfect (impactful, dynamic) bass than the Empy is. It has been a while since I listened to the LCD-4, but the D8K bass I think is almost there. Definitely much closer than the Empy is in this regard.

Mids are fantastic on the Empy. Pretty much as lifelike and smooth as they can be. Yet the D8K conveys a bit more information. Depending on your audio chain, this actually can be equally enjoyable. Yet I would give the edge on vocals to the Empy due to the extra spaciousness and sweet texture. The D8K at the same time is more precise and really, pretty much equally enjoyable with slightly more information but less space.

The Empy's main advantage apart from a very smooth and easy listening sound is a slightly bigger soundstage versus the D8K. It is definitely relieving to rest your attention in a bigger space, but soon you realise that space is less refined than the slightly more closed-in stage of the D8K. In a way it is like having a big Full HD screen versus a 25% smaller but 4K screen. Each to their own here I guess. Some prefer to use a projector and watch a HD film on their bedroom wall, others prefer a 50 inch telly in 4K.

Treble is ever so smooth on the Empy. Some accuse it to be rolled of, I disagree. I think Empy treble is simply relaxed and natural. Yet, D8K treble is definitely a bit more energetic and clearer, but still smooth. The smoothest treble I have ever heard came from the Nighthawk and than the Empy.

The D8K is still a warm and smooth headphone in my book, but slightly more neutral, more dynamic, more detailed and punchier with a smaller soundstage but higher resolution than the Empyrean.

Since I love bass centric music with drums, these two qualities alone made my personal choice easy. Your preference might differ.

I hope, next year I can grab a second-hand LCD-5 as at this point I think only those would be able to dethrone my D8K.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,076 of 4,847
After two months with the Empyrean and the D8000 I think I have finally reached a confident conclusion.

This two months included almost everyday listening with some breaks and some dedicated time to each headphones as well as A/B comparisons using different amps.

I generally like the Empyrean's easy listening yet natural sound. I also love the D8000's more punchy and more dynamic yet equally fun sound. IMO swapping the stock D8K pads for the D8Kpro (G pads) is an absolute necessity. It adds a lot to comfort and also a bit to sound balance.

The D8K also improves a lot with better DACs and amps. Even more so than the Empyrean, although the former Meze flagship can also benefit from a good source and cable.

I mainly compared these two headphones from the Burson Soloist 3XP with the Super Charger 3A in power amp mode and the new iFi iCan Pro Siganture.

Both are fantastic headphones, I think I could probably live with either of them. Yet I personally chose the D8K under the previously described circumstances. Both carry flagship qualities which IMO is mainly creating a realistic and lifelike experience unlike mid-fi favourites like Arya or LCD-X which are technically great but not that lifelike in comparison.

The Empyrean has a slightly bigger soundstage and a lighter, easier sound. It is very relaxing, ethereal in a way. Lifelikeness and softness that comes to mind with good bass quantity. Yet the amount/detail of information the Empyrean's sound carries I think is less than in the D8K's presentation.

At this point I have to mention that I really like Audeze headphones (LCD2, LCD2C, LCD4, LCD-X). They reproduce bass like no other headphones. I am mostly referring to extension and impact, authority. Authoritative quality versus pure quantity if we want to keep it simple. Audeze headphones to me, except the new LCD-5 which I have not heard yet, fall short of either lifelikeness (LCD-3 and below) or openness (LCD-4) in the upper mids/treble compared to the Empyrean. In pure bass quality even the LCD-X beats the Empyrean but the rest is simply incomparable so the Empy is still the ultimate winner.

To me the D8K (with the G pad in balanced mode on a good amp) beats the Empyrean's pleasant easy listening experience.
The best and most obvious difference is how the two headphones render bass and drums. Obviously with modern music this is more obvious (I mostly listen to modern music). To put it bluntly, D8K smashes the Empy in bass performance. The Empy might have the bass quantity, but bass on the D8K is more refined, more separated, more impactful and more tangible. Drums are more rounded and more lifelike. This bass reminds me to LCD-4 bass, although not quite the same. Definitely much closer to my personal preference regarding perfect (impactful, dynamic) bass than the Empy is. It has been a while since I listened to the LCD-4, but the D8K bass I think is almost there. Definitely much closer than the Empy is in this regard.

Mids are fantastic on the Empy. Pretty much as lifelike and smooth as they can be. Yet the D8K conveys a bit more information. Depending on your audio chain, this actually can be equally enjoyable. Yet I would give the edge on vocals to the Empy due to the extra spaciousness and sweet texture. The D8K at the same time is more precise and really, pretty much equally enjoyable with slightly more information but less space.

The Empy's main advantage apart from a very smooth and easy listening sound is a slightly bigger soundstage versus the D8K. It is definitely relieving to rest your attention in a bigger space, but soon you realise that space is less refined than the slightly more closed-in stage of the D8K. In a way it is like having a big Full HD screen versus a 25% smaller but 4K screen. Each to their own here I guess. Some prefer to use a projector and watch a HD film on their bedroom wall, others prefer a 50 inch telly in 4K.

Treble is ever so smooth on the Empy. Some accuse it to be rolled of, I disagree. I think Empy treble is simply relaxed and natural. Yet, D8K treble is definitely a bit more energetic and clearer, but still smooth. The smoothest treble I have ever heard came from the Nighthawk and than the Empy.

The D8K is still a warm and smooth headphone in my book, but slightly more neutral, more dynamic, more detailed and punchier with a smaller soundstage but higher resolution than the Empyrean.

Since I love bass centric music with drums, these two qualities alone made my personal choice easy. Your preference might differ.

I hope, next year I can grab a second-hand LCD-5 as at this point I think only those would be able to dethrone my D8K.
Firstly, I want to congrat you and say that I love your detailed headphones impressions (mini reviews...).

I saw you were in love with the Empys and I was wondered when you purchased the Final D8000 because I thought Empys were endgame for you. What I learned from your experience is that this audiophile sickness is a long-distance race, and the best we can do is try different headphones with different signatures to appreciate their peculiarities and see if they are in consonace with our preferences.

Enjoy your D8000s until the next :wink: :beerchug:

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,077 of 4,847
Firstly, I want to congrat you and say that I love your detailed headphones impressions (mini reviews...).

I saw you were in love with the Empys and I was wondered when you purchased the Final D8000 because I thought Empys were endgame for you. What I learned from your experience is that this audiophile sickness is a long-distance race, and the best we can do is try different headphones with different signatures to appreciate their peculiarities and see if they are in consonace with our preferences.

Enjoy your D8000s until the next :wink: :beerchug:
This is a never ending (or at least long term) journey.
Many factors determine our choices. Budget is the biggest, but then there is personal preference.

Audiophilitis is definitely a long term disease. Each year new headphones and amps are coming out. Your financial circumstances also might change so you might be able to afford more expensive gear, more headphones.

I am still amazed, Tyll was able to leave this hobby without much trace and not coming back.

Endgame is a mirage. There are stages. There is no endgame unless you leave the hobby.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2,079 of 4,847
I watched Amos, aka Currawong review on the LCD 5's and didnt get the feeling that they were any better than the D8000 Pros etc...but unless we hear it on our
heads that decision is deferred here.

I agree with you on all your comments...I sold my Empys shortly after getting the D8k's..

Enjoy!
It is all about personal preference at this level.
Preferred music genres, amps and DACs, sound signatures, moods, financial circumstances.

All TOTL headphones are different tastes, different interpretations of the 'best' sound.
A lot depend on the audio chain, but ultimately it is taste and preference. And what you can afford.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #2,080 of 4,847

I've just had the D8000 on loan for a few days - the purpose was to compare it to my beloved Empyrean - and I can definitely relate to every single word you wrote about your impressions on both these headphones. BUT, as you perfectly stated, the choice is all down to personal preferences and musical taste in the end, and that's why as a classical / (mostly) orchestral soundtracks lover, the D8000 didn't fully meet my expectations. Don't get me wrong, these are a fantastic pair of cans and deserve to be heard and appreciated by many, but the qualities of the Empyrean (those you mentioned exactly) make my music just that tiny bit more enjoyable to my ears.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #2,081 of 4,847
I've just had the D8000 on loan for a few days - the purpose was to compare it to my beloved Empyrean - and I can definitely relate to every single word you wrote about your impressions on both these headphones. BUT, as you perfectly stated, the choice is all down to personal preferences and musical taste in the end, and that's why as a classical / (mostly) orchestral soundtracks lover, the D8000 didn't fully meet my expectations. Don't get me wrong, these are a fantastic pair of cans and deserve to be heard and appreciated by many, but the qualities of the Empyrean (those you mentioned exactly) make my music just that tiny bit more enjoyable to my ears.
D8000 Pro is >

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #2,082 of 4,847
I have not heard the D8000 (std) or the Empyrean so I'll offer no comparison thoughts, but I do have a warning regarding the D8000 Pro.
I got one in as a loaner, by the end of the 2nd day I was letting the owner know they were not going back and to give me his PayPal info...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #2,083 of 4,847
I have not heard the D8000 (std) or the Empyrean so I'll offer no comparison thoughts, but I do have a warning regarding the D8000 Pro.
I got one in as a loaner, by the end of the 2nd day I was letting the owner know they were not going back and to give me his PayPal info...
That is a sharp statement haha

How do you compare the D8KP with HE1KV2?

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,085 of 4,847
You all gotta check this thread https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...pro-out-of-the-dark-ages-of-ortho-tech.10824/

Things like this can be read, I love their analysis on this HP:
Final Audio is not Fing around. Basically, they are telling all other high-end ortho headphone manufacturers: you suck. I'm really coming around to thinking these are worth their price. Regardless if you like the sound or not, the craftsmanship and attention to detail are there. One doesn't get this kind of result without being super anal retentive on manufacturing processes, uniformity of traces, tension of diaphragm, etc. I'm not going to mention any names, but Final Audio makes other ortho manufacturers look like amateurs. I love this old school Japanese spirit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back