Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,086 of 4,847
You all gotta check this thread https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...pro-out-of-the-dark-ages-of-ortho-tech.10824/

Things like this can be read, I love their analysis on this HP:
Not all the comments in that later part of this discussion was positive. It proves we all hear differently and have our expectations for what we get for a specific dollar amount.

Seems reviews etc...go into the packaging, the accessories etc....IMO its all about how they play the music I like. The bottom line here is these cans are indeed one of the best out there....

For the most part that discussion was positive in relationship to the headphones technicalities....being an engineer type I like these technical discussions but I often over look the glittering generalities and use my own ears and listening for that...

Enjoy the music!!
Alex

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #2,087 of 4,847
Not all the comments in that later part of this discussion was positive. It proves we all hear differently and have our expectations for what we get for a specific dollar amount.

Seems reviews etc...go into the packaging, the accessories etc....IMO its all about how they play the music I like. The bottom line here is these cans are indeed one of the best out there....

For the most part that discussion was positive in relationship to the headphones technicalities....being an engineer type I like these technical discussions but I often over look the glittering generalities and use my own ears and listening for that...

Enjoy the music!!
Alex
If we're talking packaging, the original D8000 unboxing was a delight. It's amazing how the Japanese "engineered" the experience AND fit a friggin heavy duty stand in a box that's no bigger than what the Hifiman's ship in. Honestly, out of all the TOTL I've owned; Susvara, D8000, Solitaire P-SE, HEKSE, LCD5, none of them gave me the premium feel besides D8000 when it came to cost/value/experience.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,088 of 4,847
I really like that they are held together with "screws" and they can be fixed or upgraded over time...good engineering....not a typical todays use and throw away mentality. Not that I would toss out a $4K headphone!!!! LOL

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,089 of 4,847
If we're talking packaging, the original D8000 unboxing was a delight. It's amazing how the Japanese "engineered" the experience AND fit a friggin heavy duty stand in a box that's no bigger than what the Hifiman's ship in. Honestly, out of all the TOTL I've owned; Susvara, D8000, Solitaire P-SE, HEKSE, LCD5, none of them gave me the premium feel besides D8000 when it came to cost/value/experience.
I couldn't expect more from Japanese, lived there for quite some time and you are surrounded by perfection everywhere you go, they only know one way of doing things, perfect or it won't be done. They apply that to everything.

I'm adding this PDF with the AFDS technical explanation, this is not a simple headphone, the engineering behind is next level. Can't wait to see/hear their next creation...

By the way, I am testing a new EQ profile only for the D8000 Pro where I managed to equilibrate sub-bass and bass, more body to the sound, mid dip fixed and slightly bigger soundstage (nothing to do with D8000 FR). If you have Equalizer APO and want to give me your opinion I'll really appreciate it. send me a PM for the profile)

Attachments

• D8000_compressed.pdf
    491.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,090 of 4,847
I couldn't expect more from Japanese, lived there for quite some time and you are surrounded by perfection everywhere you go, they only know one way of doing things, perfect or it won't be done. They apply that to everything.

I'm adding this PDF with the AFDS technical explanation, this is not a simple headphone, the engineering behind is next level. Can't wait to see/hear their next creation...

By the way, I am testing a new EQ profile only for the D8000 Pro where I managed to equilibrate sub-bass and bass, more body to the sound, mid dip fixed and slightly bigger soundstage (nothing to do with D8000 FR). If you have Equalizer APO and want to give me your opinion I'll really appreciate it. send me a PM for the profile)
Thanks for sharing this!!!
:>)
Alex

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,091 of 4,847
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #2,092 of 4,847
I've EQed the D8000 Pro to sound as similar to the D8000 as possible by checking and comparing the FR of both headphones

I can say that I prefer the D8K Pro EQed to D8K than D8K Pro non-EQed

If you own the D8000 Pro please try this template with APO Peace (unzip then import .peace file)

I find it less brighty, more gentle and pleasant sounding, smoothy without losing details and the bass amazingly good.

Added version 2.0 // Added Harman Curve 2018 EQ only for D8000 Pro

Dumb question - how do I open these in Peace for Equalizer APO? When I click "import" it's looking for .txt files, not .peace files.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,093 of 4,847
Dumb question - how do I open these in Peace for Equalizer APO? When I click "import" it's looking for .txt files, not .peace files.
Copy .peace files into C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config

If you have D8000 Pro try these 2 as well

Attachments

• FD8KPro.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,094 of 4,847
Finding the ideal headphone is a long journey for most of us. Finances are usually the biggest limiting factor.
Even if you are not the richest person but dedicated enough, after a few years you will reach the TOTL headphone realm.

The hobby is still exponentially growing which means yesterday's flagships are becoming more and more affordable on the second-hand market. By 'yesterday' I mean 3-5 years old. HD800S, Utopia, Empyrean, LCD4, D8000 can all be easily found around or even under £2000 these days. And for this money they offer a lot more than today's mi-fi range.

Current flagships go around £4000-6000. I do not think you loose that much with the previous generation of the world's best cans.

I always loved Audeze bass: LCD-2, LCD-X, LCD-4. It digs deep, has authority, energy and punchiness. It is also clean and balanced. I always found the upper mids and treble however a bit shadowed, claustrophobic on Audeze cans. That is why I preferred the Empyrean as the mids and treble were much more to my liking (open, natural), even though I lost that miraculously impactful and addictive Audeze bass.

The D8000 (with pro pads) brings the bass much closer to the LCD4 while keeping most of the open naturalness/airiness in the upper-mids/treble that are present in the Empyrean.
Since I thoroughly enjoy an excellent bass performance with my music, the D8000 is a pretty good choice. Almost as good if not equally fine bass as the LCD4 without that Audeze shadow. Perhaps not as sweet and natural in the upper frequencies as the Empyrean (more neutral and cleaner) but close enough.

Where I am going with this, is that for me personally the D8000 with pro pads is the best compromise I found so far between the extremely enjoyable and punchy Audeze bass and the more open and more natural upper frequencies of the Empyrean.

The LCD-5 or even the older Susvara might be even closer to my personal preference, but definitely not for 2K. So in 2021 for my taste, budget and needs the D8K has been the endgame headphones. Who knows, what 2022 brings.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,095 of 4,847
You cant go wrong with a D8000 series...one of the best all around headphones!
I am down to my d8000 pros, a pair of ADX 5000's and HD 650's...I have had or heard most of whats out there.
There presently is no itch for any of the latest "here I am" new cans....
Probably will part with the HD650's,,the ADX 5000s just walk away with that 'Senn" sound for me...

The Finals are indeed the favorite.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,096 of 4,847
You cant go wrong with a D8000 series...one of the best all around headphones!
I am down to my d8000 pros, a pair of ADX 5000's and HD 650's...I have had or heard most of whats out there.
There presently is no itch for any of the latest "here I am" new cans....
Probably will part with the HD650's,,the ADX 5000s just walk away with that 'Senn" sound for me...

The Finals are indeed the favorite.
These Finals are exceptional indeed. (And underrated in the community, I wonder why?)

Regarding newcomers I am quite interested in the LCD5 and the Meze Elite. I think I will skip the Stealth and Stax.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2,097 of 4,847
Although my D8000 Pros are currently up for sale (open backs not ideal for my current situation) I thought I would also share my feeling that these are quite stunning headphones and should the time come where they are sold I will be on the lookout for a replacement pair as soon as my office area is built. I also have tried many on my journey right up to the AB1266's and Susvara and whilst some others have been arguably more proficient in one area or another, overall the D8000 Pros are pretty much everything that I want from a headphone to the point where I could feasibly see myself stop looking at alternate options out there.

Attachments

• 9EF31EB6-F2AB-4A0C-9B20-6117BFFAE2C4.jpg
    9EF31EB6-F2AB-4A0C-9B20-6117BFFAE2C4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,099 of 4,847
Why under-rated?

Cost compared to others...Many sites have allegiances with certain brands and their associated fan-boy forums that tout one or more headphone over others....
Some will compare these to what they have or have experienced and make a judgement call based on cost and performance...good or bad.

For some you have to have a certain variety of wood, (coco-bollow-cherry bamboo from 1942 trees)...looks for some are "it".

$4299 is steep for many and these do get compared to other TOTL type cans which do cost less.

Final doesn't do alot of advertising....hard to find....folks like Senn, Audeze, Hi-FI Man, Meze, ZMF, Dan Clark have a high presence on this site and others...

They are a dark horse for sure, even Abyss seems to advertise more than FINAL.
Also Final doesnt seem to have new headphones coming out every 6 - 12 months...

Kind of like the PassLabs HPA-1 amp in 2016..same today
The Bryston BH1 amp in 2012....same today..

So the price and not the new kid on the block and lack of advertising are contributing to this lack luster under-rating IMO.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,100 of 4,847

Users who are viewing this thread

Back