Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #2,117 of 4,784
Funny I think the D8000's are way better than the Abyss 1266.....really much better presentation all around than just on the low end like the Abyss seems to be...and the head mounting system is ugly as sin!

LOL

:>)
Abyss headphone

Attachments

• istockphoto-134106770-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-134106770-612x612.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,118 of 4,784
I had the Abyss for a while and whilst I agree it does look like something you would expect Jigsaw to use in a Saw movie, I didn't really have many comfort issues for prolonged usage and after a while the design seems to make sense, and I realised why it is the way it is. Its been a while and I am in no position to be able to A/B the Abyss and Final's, but if memory serves me the Abyss has the best sound I have ever heard out of a headphone, its ridiculous in every way and for me deserves its very own category as nothing really compares. With that in mind, at the expense of dialling the sound back a little for the D8000 Pros in favour of better comfort and a more traditional headphone experience, I feel very satisfied with the D8000 Pros, they sound just SO good with many genres of music and I see little reason to continue my search of TOTL headphones that best suit me anymore.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #2,119 of 4,784
I had the Abyss for a while and whilst I agree it does look like something you would expect Jigsaw to use in a Saw movie, I didn't really have many comfort issues for prolonged usage and after a while the design seems to make sense, and I realised why it is the way it is. Its been a while and I am in no position to be able to A/B the Abyss and Final's, but if memory serves me the Abyss has the best sound I have ever heard out of a headphone, its ridiculous in every way and for me deserves its very own category as nothing really compares. With that in mind, at the expense of dialling the sound back a little for the D8000 Pros in favour of better comfort and a more traditional headphone experience, I feel very satisfied with the D8000 Pros, they sound just SO good with many genres of music and I see little reason to continue my search of TOTL headphones that best suit me anymore.
Shopping , buying and receiving new stuff can end up more fun than listening to music.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,120 of 4,784
Ha!

I knew this would get a rapid response!

But that head-dress mounting systems looks like the Brooklyn bridge on your head...still ugly as sin...
I will find you. 🤣

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #2,123 of 4,784
Probably a really dumb question, but how do I enable WPS on my iDSD Pro? It that the WPS is on the same dial as the filter, when I hold it down it just selects the DSD mode, I cant see how to engage WPS?

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #2,124 of 4,784
Well 1266 TC is significant better than D8000.
Just this evening I received a 1266tc (on loan). I am looking forward to spending time with it. I am curious to learn how it sounds with my setup and library in comparison with my D8Kpro.

I will mention this - the 1266 looks like it would be an uncomfortable contraption in photo's, but actually in person and on my head, it is not all that uncomfortable. Granted total listen time is less than 20 minutes. I'll get a proper listen with a nice couple hours with roon tomorrow. We can talk more after that.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,125 of 4,784
Probably a really dumb question, but how do I enable WPS on my iDSD Pro? It that the WPS is on the same dial as the filter, when I hold it down it just selects the DSD mode, I cant see how to engage WPS?
No idea sorry!

Just this evening I received a 1266tc (on loan). I am looking forward to spending time with it. I am curious to learn how it sounds with my setup and library in comparison with my D8Kpro.

I will mention this - the 1266 looks like it would be an uncomfortable contraption in photo's, but actually in person and on my head, it is not all that uncomfortable. Granted total listen time is less than 20 minutes. I'll get a proper listen with a nice couple hours with roon tomorrow. We can talk more after that.

Can't wait to read your neutral and honest opinion :D

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,127 of 4,784
This morning I have spent some time with my "lowly" ADX 5000's....totally different sound signature from the Final Audio D8000 Pros.....but they are stellar in their own right.
I have smiled all morning and never felt like the D8000 Pros were "better" than these at all....so much time is wasted arguing about this can or that can is better etc....its all about the music here...and having a great experience.

And this was done with a "lowly" $149 Schiit Vali 2 + vs my Pass labs HPA-1 or other amps....how can one have such a great listening experience if your not using another certain headphone, whether be it Abyss 1266 TC, Focal Utopia, Meze Empty, LCD 5's etc...??? How can this be.

Why do some folks seem to defend any even slightly negative thing about "their" favorite headphone....its like the rites of spring or rites of passage....for some they just have to do it...."hey look at me and my stuff" in a less than desirable way..

Whatever you have spend more time enjoying what you have...life is short.

One day the music will stop!

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,128 of 4,784
This morning I have spent some time with my "lowly" ADX 5000's....totally different sound signature from the Final Audio D8000 Pros.....but they are stellar in their own right.
I have smiled all morning and never felt like the D8000 Pros were "better" than these at all....so much time is wasted arguing about this can or that can is better etc....its all about the music here...and having a great experience.

And this was done with a "lowly" $149 Schiit Vali 2 + vs my Pass labs HPA-1 or other amps....how can one have such a great listening experience if your not using another certain headphone, whether be it Abyss 1266 TC, Focal Utopia, Meze Empty, LCD 5's etc...??? How can this be.

Why do some folks seem to defend any even slightly negative thing about "their" favorite headphone....its like the rites of spring or rites of passage....for some they just have to do it...."hey look at me and my stuff" in a less than desirable way..

Let me tell you, I agree 100% with you I also have the Bose QC35 II and I enjoy the sound of it like I enjoy the sound of my D8000 Pro.

I could live with the Bose, I paid 100€ only and they sound fantastic with bluetooth but when I really want to admire the art of music I simply choose the D8000 Pro.

Good music is always good and will sound good in any device.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #2,129 of 4,784

Very good post. Same happen to me with my headphones. Now enjoying a lot "The Wall" by Pink Floyd, which I usually listen to with my Denon 9200s, with my Sony Z7s.

At the end, for me, is about enjoying our favourite music. If I find some headphones not suitable for a particular genre (or not enjoyable) I use other.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #2,130 of 4,784
I am hoping for advice on something. I have the D8000 Pros and currently have two DAC/AMPs, with one of them to be sold, a Hugo 2 and a IFI Pro IDSD. I also have an Arctic Cables Integra which I would like to get re-terminated for the D8000s.

The IFI has a 2.5mm balanced port, am I best to get the cable terminated to 2.5mm, is it the optimal termination for my hardware? I am not keen on the 2.5mm as its so fragile, and would prefer a 1/4" but not if it means I would lose out on quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back