Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,261 of 4,924
in your experience, how does the D8000 Pro compare to the Diana Phi? Own a pair of d8000s myself and I'm considering switching
I have never tried the Dianas so I can’t compare. I wrote about my comparison with the 1266 TC earlier in this thread. However, I can compare to the stax 009s which I have owned for a while. The details are very similar. Soundstage is better on the stax but bass is sooo much better on the D8000pro. Overall I prefer the Final. Build quality is also better. I think the Stax might have been a great set 3-4 years ago but now planars have definitely reached the same level of SQ in terms of details and speed. The differences are very small anyway. Why are you considering a switch? Is there anything on the D8000 pro that you don’t like?

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,263 of 4,924
Thank you for your insight! Ya, I don't find the d8000 pros comfortable. Clamp is too harsh for me + weight distribution is off. SR009s were way more comfortable to me + they were incredibly intimate soundstage wise
That’s interesting i felt the sound stage was way larger on the 009s. I agree about the comfort altought I personally don’t mind the fit of the Final. It is very personal however

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,264 of 4,924
Wait couple of weeks and D8000 wil be comfrotable! New D8000 are quite off!
Thank you for your insight! Ya, I don't find the d8000 pros comfortable. Clamp is too harsh for me + weight distribution is off. SR009s were way more comfortable to me + they were incredibly intimate soundstage wise

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,265 of 4,924
I find the d8000pro comfortable, but for some reason the headband barely touched my head so I'm buying nuggets to see if they're even more comfortable and the weight distribution is more even and not all on the clamp.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,266 of 4,924
in your experience, how does the D8000 Pro compare to the Diana Phi? Own a pair of d8000s myself and I'm considering switching
It all depends on your head size etc d8000 seems to be a better fit on larger heads honestly d8000pro is sitting up there with abyss and susvara it sits perfectly in price(probably better valued) comparison to those units I'd suggest contacting dealers for better pricing.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,267 of 4,924
Mar 21, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #1,269 of 4,924
Why would anyone spend around $4000 on a headphone that’s uncomfortable? It must sound amazing to make the effort worthwhile!
For the sound , you can wear ear muffs.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #1,270 of 4,924
I’ve moved on from a Meze Empyrean & ordered a Final D8000 Pro today.

So looking forward to getting it. Does Final take a few hours to run in ? And any point in moving from the stock 6.3mm Jack connector to the stock cable in XLR ? Have a GSX Mini, but will be going to a Chord Hugo TT2 this year. So I’m easy on what cable works best.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,271 of 4,924
I’ve moved on from a Meze Empyrean & ordered a Final D8000 Pro today.

So looking forward to getting it. Does Final take a few hours to run in ? And any point in moving from the stock 6.3mm Jack connector to the stock cable in XLR ? Have a GSX Mini, but will be going to a Chord Hugo TT2 this year. So I’m easy on what cable works be

I also am moving on from Empyrean's to d8000 pro and receiving them in a couple of days! Can't wait and not sure about your experience with the Empyrean's but just from the 30 min demo of the d8000 pro, they sound miles better than the Meze to me. I've read that the sound balances out after a few dozen hours of burn in. I also ordered a custom 4.4 balanced cable and will update on my overall experience in a week or two 😁

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,272 of 4,924
In my experience the d8000Pro smooths out over 50 or so hours - it ia a bit "V" shaped overall even when opened up but at the start the highs are just a bit etched - but they smooth out relatively quickly. The included OFC silver coated cable sounds good and although I use the headphones balanced, I don't find the included cable needs replacing due to sound quality.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,273 of 4,924
I already have the Susvara but tomorrow I'll receive the D8000 and I feel like it's Christmas for some reason. Decided to go for the plain version and play around with the cable. My own experiments in the past did show a thick cable bloats the bass, can work in some cases but I'm using thin wires and I hope my existing cables will fix the reported bloat, if it exists.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,274 of 4,924
I already have the Susvara but tomorrow I'll receive the D8000 and I feel like it's Christmas for some reason. Decided to go for the plain version and play around with the cable. My own experiments in the past did show a thick cable bloats the bass, can work in some cases but I'm using thin wires and I hope my existing cables will fix the reported bloat, if it exists.
Let us know how they compare!

I got the d8000 pro recently and they are on another level to my Empyrean's. Susvara would definitely be at least a worth contender

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,275 of 4,924
I got these just over a week ago. Only Got 35 hours on them so far because of Easter and the associated away from home time that involved. My goodness the packaging was next level special, the unboxing was a total treat. Build quality is superb too, at least equal to the Empyrean.

I’ll be putting another 20 hours or so on them and then sit down for critical listening over the weekend.
At first it sounded a bit distant and soft compared to the Empyrean, but I assume that was down to the Meze sounding louder at the same volume level that I had set. The D8K Pro needs one or two notches more to achieve the same volume level as it’s slightly less efficient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back