Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 12, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,246 of 4,960
Can D8000 pro really compete with abyss on soundstage, detail retrieval, bass impact?
I own both cans so I can compare. Detail retrieval is similar but the presentation is different. Slightly better on Abyss but not by much at all. Treble is more pronounced on the Abyss so you have the impression of more details. When I listen to the abyss I hear more reverb on female vocal track for instance or pianos. Soundstage is without a doubt wider on the Abyss but not as wide as an HD800 or Arya. It also really depends on the music you listen too. For rock I think I prefer the Final, for Jazz and classical the Abyss. Both D8000pro and 1266 TC have their merits but if you care about soundstage neither of them is the king. Bass is presented differently. On the Abyss you get a rumble that is almost physical (that is when you wear the pads with a small gap behind the ears). You can “feel” it on a drum kick or some EDM with pronounced sub bass (doing it right by Daft Punk is a great test track for that). On the Final I think bass is somehow slightly more clear but it is not as physical (I think when you get the sub bass you lose a tiny bit of details). If I were to buy only one I would buy the Abyss to scratch the itch as it is technically the better headphone and you would always wonder how it sounds. Owning both, I sometimes find the Abyss a bit fatiguing and I like to listen to the final for longer sessions.
In my opinion, this is mostly due to the fit as the abyss doesn’t really disappear from your head as the pads feel quite hard. The final feels like a normal headphone with very comfy pads. Both are on the heavy side but the abyss is heavier. I don’t find neither too bad for that.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,247 of 4,960
I own both cans so I can compare. Detail retrieval is similar but the presentation is different. Slightly better on Abyss but not by much at all. Treble is more pronounced on the Abyss so you have the impression of more details. When I listen to the abyss I hear more reverb on female vocal track for instance or pianos. Soundstage is without a doubt wider on the Abyss but not as wide as an HD800 or Arya. It also really depends on the music you listen too. For rock I think I prefer the Final, for Jazz and classical the Abyss. Both D8000pro and 1266 TC have their merits but if you care about soundstage neither of them is the king. Bass is presented differently. On the Abyss you get a rumble that is almost physical (that is when you wear the pads with a small gap behind the ears). You can “feel” it on a drum kick or some EDM with pronounced sub bass (doing it right by Daft Punk is a great test track for that). On the Final I think bass is somehow slightly more clear but it is not as physical (I think when you get the sub bass you lose a tiny bit of details). If I were to buy only one I would buy the Abyss to scratch the itch as it is technically the better headphone and you would always wonder how it sounds. Owning both, I sometimes find the Abyss a bit fatiguing and I like to listen to the final for longer sessions.
In my opinion, this is mostly due to the fit as the abyss doesn’t really disappear from your head as the pads feel quite hard. The final feels like a normal headphone with very comfy pads. Both are on the heavy side but the abyss is heavier. I don’t find neither too bad for that.
I also own both and while I largely agree with the above comments i do have a slightly different perspective and thought I would share my viewpoint. I find the Abyss to be more crisp sounding overall and somewhat tunable to individual tastes. I find the D8000 Pro to be a little more natural sounding in terms of tonality and timbre. As for bass, I think they both have similar impact and quantity, at least the way I have them configured, but I do prefer the slightly less rounded bass of the Abyss. Also, I agree that the Abyss has more treble, but for me I preferred what I perceived as the more accurate treble of the Final Audio treble. As for soundstage, I haven't really noticed one headphone feeling limiting compared to the other, For whatever reason, my ears which are sensitive to soundstage generally, do not hear that much of a difference - at least not to any extent where I am dissatisfied. In terms of detail retrieval, I actually think the d8K pro retrieves more detail, not by much mind you, but by a little. It is especially noticeable to me if I hear distortion in the mid to upper frequencies of music (example: 'Take you to Hell' by Ava Max as found on You Tube). I hear it much more clearly / pronounced on the D8K Pro than I do on the Abyss. I do agree with others that the Abyss may be preferable for classical music and the D8K pro on rock. For me the Abyss, just sounds more realistic/refined on orchestral - maybe that is due to soundstage, not sure?

Here is the other thing, and this is probably just me. If I want to just listen and relax I actually find the Abyss to be my go-to. If I want to be wowed and or listen intently and intensely, I go to the Final Audio. BUT, the Final Audio, for whatever reason, makes me think more about the equipment.

Both of these headphones are absolutely wonderful and you cannot really go wrong. In fact, I was surprised they are more similar overall than I expected. I do agree that the D8000 Pro feels more like normal headphones. The Abyss seems kind of stiff, but not uncomfortable at all. Both are heavy and I could see both being uncomfortable for some.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,248 of 4,960
I own 1266 tc and d8000, auditioned pro. There's no comparison that abyss 1266 is the best one among these three in almost every aspect. The vocal delivery on an 1266 tc is not that great but d8000 is pretty weak too. When it comes to bass, treble, soundstage. 1266 tc comes on top noticeably. Ab1266 is super neutral clean and sparkly on acoustic music while d8000 comes off kinda dark and intimate. If you have the budget to go for one, go with ab 1266 tc, its detail retrieval is unparalleled from the headphones I've listened to.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #1,249 of 4,960
I own 1266 tc and d8000, auditioned pro. There's no comparison that abyss 1266 is the best one among these three in almost every aspect. The vocal delivery on an 1266 tc is not that great but d8000 is pretty weak too. When it comes to bass, treble, soundstage. 1266 tc comes on top noticeably. Ab1266 is super neutral clean and sparkly on acoustic music while d8000 comes off kinda dark and intimate. If you have the budget to go for one, go with ab 1266 tc, its detail retrieval is unparalleled from the headphones I've listened to.
What headphones do you like for vocals?

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,251 of 4,960
2021-03-14-22-07-13.jpg

Checked in Japan, drivers replaced, back on my head

Bliss

A great performer

2021-03-14-21-51-20.jpg

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #1,253 of 4,960
One month and a half approximately

Only a small number of drivers are made each month

They received the HPs at the beginning of February, and once testing was over we had to wait for the first March batch of drivers

Burning in gently, on my secondary system (LPG to V200 with Sparkos upgrade)

D8000P_V200.jpg

Records like this one are vibrant :

1615778773433.png

This one downright magical :

1615778879005.png

Bless you @Final Audio

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,254 of 4,960
I Can't seem to remove the earpads from these headphones no matter how hard I try without putting enough force to rip them apart... it's like they're being held by something inside the disc where you hook them onto the headphone to secure the earpads.... I wanted to give them a thorough cleaning because I hadn't worn them in a few weeks to months, the oils and dirt looks like it kinda settled I'm going to buy new ones but I wanted to clean these first but no dice !!

Update: I got them off, but I ripped one of the pads quite a bit :frowning2: also they needed a real cleaning in there some how my hair got stuck inside the mesh of the headphone easy to remove just pulled em out lmao but It was definitely weird to see....

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,256 of 4,960
I don't, my HPs are still covered by the warranty.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,260 of 4,960
in your experience, how does the D8000 Pro compare to the Diana Phi? Own a pair of d8000s myself and I'm considering switching

Users who are viewing this thread

Back