Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 1, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #976 of 4,919
Oct 6, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #978 of 4,919
Just got the D8000 pro in yesterday. First impressions, boy, is it a fun tuning and nice articulate bass. It does seem to be tending towards a V shaped signature. I think it does seem to compete with my other flagships 1266TC, Diana Phi and Susvara. Gonna to be tough to decide where to cull.

Oct 6, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #979 of 4,919
The D8000pro is closer to diffuse field tuning where as the standard D8000 is closer to the harmon curve tuning.
For me, owner of both, the PRO model is a significant upgrade, so much so that I don't know if the standard edition can hit my top 10 whereas the pro is in my top 3.

For me out of any headphone in the market the D8000pro gives the least intrusive window to the music the engineer wanted you to hear. In terms of how wide the soundstage is, how intimate the recording is, the warmth, the scale, the feel.
Everything seems very accurate, I also own Spendor D7.2 floorstanders and the ATC SCM25 as 2 extremely high end revealing speakers to compare and contrast my headphones too.

The D8000pro is amazing, BUT, it doesnt colour, flavour, enhance or change anything from the original source. So dont expect anything to be flattered. If its beautifully recorded you will hear every aspect of that beauty.
The other advantage here is that you can then "flavor" your experience with amplification choice (eg tube ampes).

For me the Susvara can compete BUT it really requires an absolute monster of an amplifier to truly shine.
The Abys phi-TC beats it out on dynamics, impact, soundstage, scale and bass BUT isnt quite as delicate and refined.
The Utopia beats everything with its unrivaled ability to provide the listener with true depth from a headphone.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #980 of 4,919
I am using the Pro on the BHA-1 and ican ipro. The other thing about the pro is the comfort is really great despite the weight because of the ability of cups to swivel in every angle and the headband able to also be adjusted forward and backward. The pads also do not heat up. Anyway, may be just new toy syndrome.

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #982 of 4,919
Someone compared D8000pro and Stax Sr-009S ?
Yes I have. I feel that the Stax through the T8000 maybe slightly edges it on detail especially that surface detail. It also probably had a more natural sounding timbre quality in the mid range.
HOWEVER in saying this I still feel as an overall package the D8k pro wins out

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #983 of 4,919
The SR009 felt a bit average directly after I was doing a A/B on the D8000 Pro to HE1000SE. Felt a bit shouty in the mids, didn't use them for long, didn't enjoy them after the other two.

Oct 7, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #984 of 4,919
Just ordered the Pro this morning from A2A in Australia, so it still will take a while to land here in NZ. At the moment I am glued to the Heddphone and don’t even look at the 1266CC, Diana or Lcd4. But have a feeling that the Pro might shake up things in my world.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #985 of 4,919
Just ordered the Pro this morning from A2A in Australia, so it still will take a while to land here in NZ. At the moment I am glued to the Heddphone and don’t even look at the 1266CC, Diana or Lcd4. But have a feeling that the Pro might shake up things in my world.
Awesome! Give it a little time to burn in, I noticed for me it took maybe 50 hours or so. Sometimes I would notice a slight crackling. Just let them run for a few days straight at moderate volume.

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #986 of 4,919

Very keen to hear your thoughts!

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #987 of 4,919
Very keen to hear your thoughts!
Might take a bit...new stock arriving within the next days and shipping AU to NZ can take anywhere from 5 days up to 5 weeks. As it stands I have decided to sell my Diana and Lcd4 in order to finance the D8000Pro...SR009S already gone and I don’t miss them.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #988 of 4,919
Might take a bit...new stock arriving within the next days and shipping AU to NZ can take anywhere from 5 days up to 5 weeks. As it stands I have decided to sell my Diana and Lcd4 in order to finance the D8000Pro...SR009S already gone and I don’t miss them.
The SR009, I feel, is starting to date. These modern planars are so damn quick now, the Stax has lost its drawcard.

Enjoy the Pro!

Check out Resolves EQ profile. I've tweaked my own a bit, but it's similar.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #989 of 4,919

Let's have a chat about your LCD4. I'm in Sydney :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back