Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 26, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #961 of 4,929
i own the d8000 and i am interested in purchasing the d8000 pro model. My hope is for a little more clarity, maybe a slighty cleaner , brighter sound and maybe a slight bit less lower midrange than the d8000. i am hoping for a slightly more forward vocal as well and that leads me to my question. i have seen in several places what appears to be contradicting view points. some say the 8000 pro is more recessed others say it is more forward. is this due to variations from unit to unit or just different people's opinion on what is neutral vs recessed vs forward?

if i could get a concsenous on whether the d8000 pro has more midrange or less than the d8000 I would appeciate it.

In my view, the Pro definitely has a more forward midrange than the D8000. Final, when presented with the problem with the D8000 having problems playing music at high volumes, especially bassy music, redesigned the Pro with greater output in the midrange in order to increase the perceived volume level overall so the drivers wouldn’t hit the magnets with bassy music. I believe final discusses this on its website, the changes it made.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #962 of 4,929
i own the d8000 and i am interested in purchasing the d8000 pro model. My hope is for a little more clarity, maybe a slighty cleaner , brighter sound and maybe a slight bit less lower midrange than the d8000. i am hoping for a slightly more forward vocal as well and that leads me to my question. i have seen in several places what appears to be contradicting view points. some say the 8000 pro is more recessed others say it is more forward. is this due to variations from unit to unit or just different people's opinion on what is neutral vs recessed vs forward?

if i could get a concsenous on whether the d8000 pro has more midrange or less than the d8000 I would appeciate it.

Green Line is the Pro. Taken from Resolves Review.

Attachments

• D8K vs D8K Pro High (1).jpg
    D8K vs D8K Pro High (1).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #963 of 4,929

Have you listened to the D8000 through a current drive amp? It might give you what you're looking for.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #964 of 4,929
first, I'd like to thank folks for their response to my question about d8000 vs d8000 pro midrange. I have listened to my d8000 using Nimbus, GS-X MK2, Woo Audio 5LE, and Apex Teton. I have not used a 'current drive' amplifier. I would be interested if folks have a particular recommendation that would produce clearer, more forward sound - brand/model?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #965 of 4,929
first, I'd like to thank folks for their response to my question about d8000 vs d8000 pro midrange. I have listened to my d8000 using Nimbus, GS-X MK2, Woo Audio 5LE, and Apex Teton. I have not used a 'current drive' amplifier. I would be interested if folks have a particular recommendation that would produce clearer, more forward sound - brand/model?
You tried EQ'ing that 3k dip yet mate? Works wonders. Check out Resolves most recent video, toward the end he shares his EQ settings. I nudge up 4db, he does 7db. I found 7 bit much.

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #966 of 4,929
I use my D8000 with a Bakoon HPA-01M (sadly, no longer in production), which has separate voltage and current outputs. I find the current output "lighter" than the voltage output, providing what I perceive as a little more clarity and responsiveness, at the possible expense of less "mass" in the lower frequencies; as to whether it's more forward sounding, I don't honestly know. This comparison is useless without knowing how the Bakoon's voltage output compares to that of other amps, so as a frame of reference, for what it's worth, I also use a Phatlab Chimera, which has switchable solid-state & tube outputs, and I find the Chimera's solid-state output to be the darkest, with its tube output and the Bakoon's voltage output being closer in terms of tonality and the Bakoon's current output, the lightest; I don't want to say "brightest" because that might give the wrong impression; everything's still there with the current output, it's just presented with a lighter touch. As I said, the HPA-01M is no longer in production, but its bigger sibling, the HPA-01, still is and that provides 3x the power, so that can only be a good thing.

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #967 of 4,929
I use my D8000 with a Bakoon HPA-01M (sadly, no longer in production), which has separate voltage and current outputs. I find the current output "lighter" than the voltage output, providing what I perceive as a little more clarity and responsiveness, at the possible expense of less "mass" in the lower frequencies; as to whether it's more forward sounding, I don't honestly know. This comparison is useless without knowing how the Bakoon's voltage output compares to that of other amps, so as a frame of reference, for what it's worth, I also use a Phatlab Chimera, which has switchable solid-state & tube outputs, and I find the Chimera's solid-state output to be the darkest, with its tube output and the Bakoon's voltage output being closer in terms of tonality and the Bakoon's current output, the lightest; I don't want to say "brightest" because that might give the wrong impression; everything's still there with the current output, it's just presented with a lighter touch. As I said, the HPA-01M is no longer in production, but its bigger sibling, the HPA-01, still is and that provides 3x the power, so that can only be a good thing.

I was sorry to find out the Bakoon HPA-01M was discontinued—I was late to the party when I learned about it. 😔

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #968 of 4,929
Sep 28, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #970 of 4,929
is the cable the major difference reflected on price? i have the official sliver ofc cable for my d8000. Just curious is there any other big change compare to the pro?
As someone who owns the D8000 and reviewed the Pro version in a comparison, I wouldn’t characterize the Pro as better, but different. The reason for the $500 difference in retail is due to the inclusion of the final Silver OFC cable with the Pro. As an aside, I do strongly recommend the Silver cable since it does improve the sound noticeably, in my view.

As many know, the D8000 was not designed for heavy bass music played at loud levels since the drivers hit the magnets causing distortion. The Pro was introduced to remedy this situation, especially for sound engineers, hence the Pro nomenclature. Final changed the tuning with the Pro where the midrange was bumped up in order to increase the perceived loudness of play thus reducing the incident of the drivers hitting the magnets with bassy music, and if you’d like a more prominent midrange, then you should consider the Pro.

As to your comment about the D8000 sounding great at low volume levels, I fully agree. The Pro sounds great at low levels too.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #971 of 4,929
is the cable the major difference reflected on price? i have the official sliver ofc cable for my d8000. Just curious is there any other big change compare to the pro?

Yes, the silver OFC cable which retails for $649 (3m SE) makes up the cost difference between the D8000 and the Pro.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #972 of 4,929
Many difference in sound even when using the exact cable on both models.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #973 of 4,929
I clean dust form my D8000 and they are still great headphone, dynamic, musicaly, great slam and body, just fun!
Don't have resolution, detali and sounstage of Susvara or Abyss 1266 but for bad recordings i chose D8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back