Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 15, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #2,416 of 4,847
This may be wierd, but I take a terrycloth facecloth and fold in in half and place it on my head before I put the D8000 Pros on. It adds a small layer between my head and the headphone band and for me its perfect! Very comfy and keeps the hair oil from getting on the headband...IMO this is a simple "fix" here.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #2,417 of 4,847
Yes he did. @puck is an excellent Head-Fier IMO. He was very helpful to me w/this strap issue.

When the strap is installed, it helps but isn't transformative. For example, the comfort of the D8000 doesn't suddenly equal that of the ZMF dynamics, which set a comfort standard for big/heavy headphones IMO.

But the strap does lessen contact between the top of my head and the underside of the D8000's headband. That result is an incremental but very welcome improvement in comfort: specifically, I no longer think about that headband, which pre-strap was something I thought about every time I put the headphone on.
Yep.

I did mine with a change to pro pads and bending headband to reduce clamp. So all together much better

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #2,418 of 4,847
I have the opposite predicament, for myself the headphone is on the looser side. I did buy this 2nd hand so perhaps a previous owner did some stretching? I've been thinking about a pilot pad or similar but I'm not sure it would make things all that better. I'm going to try wrapping some wash cloths around the headband as @adydula suggested and see what that does. This is one of the only headphones I have that doesn't disappear when I put it on. I really dig the way the D8Kpro sounds but it can be distracting to wear especially with longer sessions.

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,419 of 4,847
I have the opposite predicament, for myself the headphone is on the looser side. I did buy this 2nd hand so perhaps a previous owner did some stretching? I've been thinking about a pilot pad or similar but I'm not sure it would make things all that better. I'm going to try wrapping some wash cloths around the headband as @adydula suggested and see what that does. This is one of the only headphones I have that doesn't disappear when I put it on. I really dig the way the D8Kpro sounds but it can be distracting to wear especially with longer sessions.
What is your hat size?

If your D8KPro is loose, nothing stops you from bending the headband slightly closed, which will increase clamping slightly.

A Pilot Pad absolutely would help, in 2 ways:
  • It would add 1/4" to 3/8th" of padding height between the headband and your head
  • And the padding in question is softer/better than what's under the Final headband
An alternate strategy is to install a leather underband as I and others did here, but just make it slightly shorter, so that ~1/8" of space is visible between the band and the bottom of the headband's padding.

I found it took some work to get my D8000 more comfortable, but the amazing sound makes it totally worth doing...

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #2,420 of 4,847
What is your hat size?
I honestly do not know - sorta embarrassed about that. But I get ya. I am not giving up on it, and it doesn't stop me from using it. As you put it - The sound is incredible especially the bass tone and texture, just amazing.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #2,421 of 4,847
For myhead, I fold a washcloth in half and place it on my head, then put on the cans...yes it looks really weird but works wonderfully to me and cheap....it also helps keeps the oils from my hair in getting into the headband.

The idea of adding a pilot pad seems like it would add the needed "for me" increased thickness that might be like adding the terrycloth folded washcloth..have to take a look at this one..

I assume its the ZMF pilot pad? (Ordered a ZMF Lambskin Pilot Pad)...

Alex

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,422 of 4,847
I use a small pillow roll from Tempurpedic. I place it perpendicular to the headband and flushed with my forehead so it sticks out backwards; it works as a head cushion for the cans and headrest when I recline. It is super comfortable.

My wife says it looks ridiculous and threatened me with a divorce, but I think that she is teasing me because I quite like the looks of it.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,423 of 4,847
I use a small pillow roll from Tempurpedic. I place it perpendicular to the headband and flushed with my forehead so it sticks backwards; it works as a head cushion for the cans and headrest when I recline. It is super comfortable.

My wife says it looks ridiculous and threatened me with a divorce, but I think that she is teasing me because I quite like the looks of it.
Gonna need a pic plz 😉

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,424 of 4,847
I've had a little more time with the D8K Pro and I like what I'm hearing. Some notes:

- The comfort issue was the main concern for me. However, I received a cheapo headband cover this morning from Amazon and it's basically "fixed" any hotspot issues. This is a relief. I'll still try the more aesthetically pleasing leather mod mentioned earlier on this thread, but for now I can wear the headphones without any issue (indeed have been listening since this morning). Amazing what a 10 Euro headband from Amazon can do.

- I also received the Forza Noir Hybrid cable this morning - again, big improvement for me. The stock cable is impressive, but it's way too cumbersome for me, and somewhat intrudes on the experience. The Forza works fits perfectly and I can't hear much if any change in sound between the cables.

- First impressions of the sound: they're refined, subtle, very musical, non-fatiguing, and overall quite immersive. They seem to me very well-balanced with a coherent FR. They present themselves as being highly resolving and detailed without having to resort to "gimmicks" or uneven frequencies. In a sense, I am still trying to work them out because while they have a basic character, they're also malleable and change depending on source and genre. They don't seem to me headphones which "wow" the listener on first impression, but instead create a gradually enveloping atmosphere, which proves addictive.

- They're easy to drive, though because they're so transparent, they need to be paired with a good source. Anything less than a Hugo 2 for trans/portable purposes sounds a bit soft to me. In terms of amps, a few people mentioned tube amps - indeed, the WA8 sounds quite good, giving a slightly "wet" presentation - but I prefer something with greater dynamics. For me, the Bakoon amps I have - designed for planar headphones - sound best. They give a very tight more energetic presentation, with faster/snappier transients.

- The headphone that I was most interested in comparing was with the Kennerton Rognir (planar). As I hear it now, the Rognir is notably more energetic, with technicalities that rival the D8K Pro if not slightly outclass them (especially in terms of imaging). Where the D8K Pro leaps ahead is in terms of the coherence of the timbre; lower mids are especially more textured on the Final than on the Rognir. Bass texture is also far superior on the Final, with a much better sense of layering and micro detail. D8K Pro has a more robust sense of "body" to the overall presentation. The Rognir nevertheless is more of an all-rounder to me - it basically sounds excellent with all genres and is not terribly picky about source, so long as you feed it something resolving with sufficient power. Again, I'm still getting a feel for synergy on the D8K Pro, but as of now, it seems to excel on most genres, especially jazz, fusion, soundtracks, rock, and some metal/rock.

- Aesthetically :ok_hand:

In short, thumbs up and keepers:thumbsup:

More to follow.

P1110328.jpgP1110329.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,425 of 4,847
I've had a little more time with the D8K Pro and I like what I'm hearing. Some notes:

- The comfort issue was the main concern for me. However, I received a cheapo headband cover this morning from Amazon and it's basically "fixed" any hotspot issues. This is a relief. I'll still try the more aesthetically pleasing leather mod mentioned earlier on this thread, but for now I can wear the headphones without any issue (indeed have been listening since this morning). Amazing what a 10 Euro headband from Amazon can do.

- I also received the Forza Noir Hybrid cable this morning - again, big improvement for me. The stock cable is impressive, but it's way too cumbersome for me, and somewhat intrudes on the experience. The Forza works fits perfectly and I can't hear much if any change in sound between the cables.

- First impressions of the sound: they're refined, subtle, very musical, non-fatiguing, and overall quite immersive. They seem to me very well-balanced with a coherent FR. They present themselves as being highly resolving and detailed without having to resort to "gimmicks" or uneven frequencies. In a sense, I am still trying to work them out because while they have a basic character, they're also malleable and change depending on source and genre. They don't seem to me headphones which "wow" the listener on first impression, but instead create a gradually enveloping atmosphere, which proves addictive.

- They're easy to drive, though because they're so transparent, they need to be paired with a good source. Anything less than a Hugo 2 for trans/portable purposes sounds a bit soft to me. In terms of amps, a few people mentioned tube amps - indeed, the WA8 sounds quite good, giving a slightly "wet" presentation - but I prefer something with greater dynamics. For me, the Bakoon amps I have - designed for planar headphones - sound best. They give a very tight more energetic presentation, with faster/snappier transients.

- The headphone that I was most interested in comparing was with the Kennerton Rognir (planar). As I hear it now, the Rognir is notably more energetic, with technicalities that rival the D8K Pro if not slightly outclass them (especially in terms of imaging). Where the D8K Pro leaps ahead is in terms of the coherence of the timbre; lower mids are especially more textured on the Final than on the Rognir. Bass texture is also far superior on the Final, with a much better sense of layering and micro detail. D8K Pro has a more robust sense of "body" to the overall presentation. The Rognir nevertheless is more of an all-rounder to me - it basically sounds excellent with all genres and is not terribly picky about source, so long as you feed it something resolving with sufficient power. Again, I'm still getting a feel for synergy on the D8K Pro, but as of now, it seems to excel on most genres, especially jazz, fusion, soundtracks, rock, and some metal/rock.

- Aesthetically :ok_hand:

In short, thumbs up and keepers:thumbsup:

More to follow.

Comfort was a big issue for me too. I have the same exact headband cover and it aliviates it, but bending the headband was a major difference.

Totally agree with your impressions. They are a great all rounder. What really surprises me, is how they seem to change, not only depending of the recording but some aspects of its sound.
In my opinion this is a headphone that needs some time to get used and appreciate it's qualities. They don't give you the instant wow sensation that other headphones might do. Don't get me wrong, they are impressive for sure, but while those headphones show their defects after that wow time, the Finals shows his strenghts as the time passes.

That said, I think that people used to dark profiles won't like them at all, because they are a bit bright. I won't say they are harsh but they definitelly benefit from some slight EQ in that area.

Anyways, looking forward for more of your thoughts.
Enjoy them!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,426 of 4,847
Comfort was a big issue for me too. I have the same exact headband cover and it aliviates it, but bending the headband was a major difference.

Totally agree with your impressions. They are a great all rounder. What really surprises me, is how they seem to change, not only depending of the recording but some aspects of its sound.
In my opinion this is a headphone that needs some time to get used and appreciate it's qualities. They don't give you the instant wow sensation that other headphones might do. Don't get me wrong, they are impressive for sure, but while those headphones show their defects after that wow time, the Finals shows his strenghts as the time passes.

That said, I think that people used to dark profiles won't like them at all, because they are a bit bright. I won't say they are harsh but they definitelly benefit from some slight EQ in that area.

Anyways, looking forward for more of your thoughts.
Enjoy them!
Great all-rounders, indeed. I myself don't find them bright at all, but then I lean inherently to quite bright/forwarding sounding headphones/sources, so the Final's are relatively natural with a warmish hint for me. If anything, I could do with a little more presence in the upper mid area (3k). I did tinker with the EQ here, but prefer to keep things as they are as I think the default tuning works best long-term.

Hugo 2 and Bakoon HPA-01m is definitely proving a very satisfying pairing so far, especially for metal.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #2,427 of 4,847
Great all-rounders, indeed. I myself don't find them bright at all, but then I lean inherently to quite bright/forwarding sounding headphones/sources, so the Final's are relatively natural with a warmish hint for me. If anything, I could do with a little more presence in the upper mid area (3k). I did tinker with the EQ here, but prefer to keep things as they are as I think the default tuning works best long-term.

Hugo 2 and Bakoon HPA-01m is definitely proving a very satisfying pairing so far, especially for metal.
Makes sense. I was using my Kennerton Vali lately, which are quite darker, that's why they might seem a bit bright to me.
The upper mids could use at least a 3 o 4 db bump for sure, and I already EQd it too, but I wasn't bothering me as the 8k one.

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #2,428 of 4,847
I'm crazy for the sound of my Final D8000 w/leather understrap & the Pro's "G" pads. It's far and away the best all-rounder planar I've heard since my first/favorite planar, the closed-back ZMF Ori. Admittedly those are 2 very different headphones that satisfy in rather different ways. The D8K is the resolution king of all planars I've had. The Ori's bass is better in terms of pressurized weight & dynamics, but the D8K's bass has noteworthy tonal nuance and note layering.

The amp I get the best sound out of on the D8000 is the Monoprice Liquid Gold X. The synergy of that combination is unmistakable.

In a couple days I'll hear the D8000 at length on my newest amp, the powerhouse SS Kinki Studio Vision THR-1. Despite its borderline-ridiculous power and obvious gain issues, this amp really delivers subtlety in tone, soundstage, and imaging, both on speakers & headphones. So I'm looking forward to that...

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,429 of 4,847
I'm crazy for the sound of my Final D8000 w/leather understrap & the Pro's "G" pads. It's far and away the best all-rounder planar I've heard since my first/favorite planar, the closed-back ZMF Ori. Admittedly those are 2 very different headphones that satisfy in rather different ways. The D8K is the resolution king of all planars I've had. The Ori's bass is better in terms of pressurized weight & dynamics, but the D8K's bass has noteworthy tonal nuance and note layering.

The amp I get the best sound out of on the D8000 is the Monoprice Liquid Gold X. The synergy of that combination is unmistakable.

In a couple days I'll hear the D8000 at length on my newest amp, the powerhouse SS Kinki Studio Vision THR-1. Despite its borderline-ridiculous power and obvious gain issues, this amp really delivers subtlety in tone, soundstage, and imaging, both on speakers & headphones. So I'm looking forward to that...
Playing now with D8000 Pros with iFI iDSD Bit Perfect via HPA-1 and its a solid 10.
Always amazes me....

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #2,430 of 4,847
Hi again guys. I saw that my headband has a small part where the material is starting to flake. I wanna apply some conditioner to prevent this getting worse.
Does anyone knows if the material of the headband is leather or pleather. Id say it's 100% synthetic, but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back