Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 23, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #1,486 of 15,899
I too am hoping for great things from the X5iii. I love what they're doing on the hardware side of the user interface. Volume knobs especially are a passion of mine. I nearly bought the Cayin i5 just for its looks and feel, even though my AK sounded better.

I should have been more selective with my words! I didn't mean to say that the FiiO would be better for everyone but rather that I felt it offered better value for money for most people who would use a product like that. I'm aware there are a lot of people who won't use those extra features and that this probably isn't a good DAP for them at all. Thanks for clarifying for me :)

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #1,487 of 15,899

We should have a warning in this hobby: Nobody's allowed to leave! 

Yes its like the cosa nostra ... you never leave!

You can check out any time you like,

but you can never leave...

All this people wondering what this song is about...it's all about HF folks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,488 of 15,899
Hugo with a bass light iem yeah the Hugo can be bright. Hugo and say Solars its not bright. Hugo and crossfeed is not bright. Hugo and eq not bright. The X5III is neutral but has a slight warmth compared to the Hugo. Both are very detailed and the Hugo can tend to get brighter out of the box.I dont like hearing glass break but I do like detailed treble.

Now, this comparison with Hugo gets me a bit excited, but recently I've also read that somebody said that X5iii sq was about on par with his DX80 (which would make more logic based on pricetag alone). Between DX80 and Hugo (I have both) there is definitely a gap in sq => if X5iii sq is somewhere in the middle, than it's already ''bang for buck'' imo 
rolleyes.gif

Btw, you're right about Hugo + Solar, this is a wonderful combination (synergy) and it ain't bright 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #1,489 of 15,899
Now, this comparison with Hugo gets me a bit excited, but recently I've also read that somebody said that X5iii sq was about on par with his DX80 (which would make more logic based on pricetag alone). Between DX80 and Hugo (I have both) there is definitely a gap in sq => if X5iii sq is somewhere in the middle, than it's already ''bang for buck'' imo :rolleyes:

Btw, you're right about Hugo + Solar, this is a wonderful combination (synergy) and it ain't bright :ksc75smile:

We have been comparing DAPs in the past including X5-1 and DX80, amped. Wondering what would be the real step up in SQ. Will X5-3 do at least the same without external amp section?

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,490 of 15,899
Now, this comparison with Hugo gets me a bit excited, but recently I've also read that somebody said that X5iii sq was about on par with his DX80 (which would make more logic based on pricetag alone). Between DX80 and Hugo (I have both) there is definitely a gap in sq => if X5iii sq is somewhere in the middle, than it's already ''bang for buck'' imo :rolleyes:

Btw, you're right about Hugo + Solar, this is a wonderful combination (synergy) and it ain't bright :ksc75smile:
If it sounded like the dx90 then after demoing it I would not have bought it. Because I had the dx90 and if it sounded like the dx80 well this X5III has Android and a lot better UI.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #1,491 of 15,899
We have been comparing DAPs in the past including X5-1 and DX80, amped. Wondering what would be the real step up in SQ. Will X5-3 do at least the same without external amp section?

When we met, I had the DX90, which had a much brighter signature than the DX80. Personally I prefer the DX80 over DX90, not only regarding signature, but also because of its 2 slots and much better/faster UI + file scanning. DX80 also plays native DSD, but at the time I had DX90 I didn't have these files => don't know if it supported that.

We should meet again soon to check (synergy) on our 'new' audio stuff!
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,492 of 15,899
When we met, I had the DX90, which had a much brighter signature than the DX80. Personally I prefer the DX80 over DX90, not only regarding signature, but also because of its 2 slots and much better/faster UI + file scanning. DX80 also plays native DSD, but at the time I had DX90 I didn't have these files => don't know if it supported that.

We should meet again soon to check (synergy) on our 'new' audio stuff!
:beerchug:

Sorry, you're right I mixed up. Will send you PM!

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,496 of 15,899
  In case anyone is wondering about the Bluetooth performance. So far so good, KUDOS TO FIIO. Unfortunately they had dropped the ball with the X1ii, but the X5iii almost matches the range of my Galaxy S7

And may i politely add, aptX is working well with my Marshall Woburn.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,500 of 15,899
Does this have a line out for use with an amp? (A5) as my cans will need the juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back