Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 23, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,516 of 15,899
I owned x5iii for about 3 days.From my point of view,this thing has the best build quality of all dap that i have owned (compared to ak120, fiio x5ii, and onkyo dpx1). I disabled google play and other google apps. Only used this player in pure music mode. The sound a bit too warm for my taste. And with my fitear tg334 it generates a hissing sound, even in a low volume, even though the hissing stop when the song started. I have the newest firmware 1.0.9. I wonder if this hissing sound happened to all friends in this forum. And i was looking for solution to this problem. The only solution that my friend told me that works is using an extra amplifier like cypherlabs piccolo. But its to bulky. I hope Fiio can help me. Thx

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,517 of 15,899
I owned x5iii for about 3 days.From my point of view,this thing has the best build quality of all dap that i have owned (compared to ak120, fiio x5ii, and onkyo dpx1). I disabled google play and other google apps. Only used this player in pure music mode. The sound a bit too warm for my taste. And with my fitear tg334 it generates a hissing sound, even in a low volume, even though the hissing stop when the song started. I have the newest firmware 1.0.9. I wonder if this hissing sound happened to all friends in this forum. And i was looking for solution to this problem. The only solution that my friend told me that works is using an extra amplifier like cypherlabs piccolo. But its to bulky. I hope Fiio can help me. Thx

I recently purchased the iFi IEMatch (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/) which is designed to do exactly that; reduce hissing on low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEMs. I have not yet got the X5iii (and I don't own the TG334) so could not guarantee it would work, but it is small, robust, inexpensive and well reviewed.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #1,518 of 15,899
I recently purchased the iFi IEMatch (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/) which is designed to do exactly that; reduce hissing on low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEMs. I have not yet got the X5iii (and I don't own the TG334) so could not guarantee it would work, but it is small, robust, inexpensive and well reviewed.
thx for the info. But i still hope fiio can resolve this problem without adding devices in my setup

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,522 of 15,899
I have fiio x5ii and x5iii. Hissing wise. The new x5iii generates more hissing than x5ii
So the X5III is warmer and hisses more? Usuallypeople will say about other daps is hisses and its bright sounding.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #1,523 of 15,899
So the X5III is warmer and hisses more? Usuallypeople will say about other daps is hisses and its bright sounding.

Yes i agree. To be honest i dont get much hissing but then i dont use sensitive IEMs.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,524 of 15,899

Yes i agree. To be honest i dont get much hissing but then i dont use sensitive IEMs.

it's odd, I've mainly tested with my Pinnacle P1s, and I can't say that I've noticed any hissing. Tried with my M7Ps (16 ohm), and I can hear some hiss, but it's incredibly faint. Had to go into a really quiet room to be able to hear it

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,525 of 15,899
Hi can anyone comment on how well the usb dac is working? I have had bad experiences with daps as dacs before including the ak120 and fiio x3ii. some problems include: delayed audio, audio glitches, losing connection randomly and requiring reconnection.

Also, anybody can compare this to the bit opus 1? that is my favourite sounding player

I've managed to get my hands on a loaner X5 3rd gen. I can say that there seems to be no major problems with the USB DAC - no delayed audio or audio glitches. I'm not sure about the losing connection randomly just yet since I haven't had enough time to play around with it yet to truly know if this isn't a problem.

And I agree with @TheoS53 and @superuser1 about the hissing - I haven't heard any hiss with the player when using my FLC8S or my Etymotic ER4P, though those aren't the most sensitive IEM in the world.

Anyways, besides the loaner X5 3rd gen, I also own an X7 and I have managed to borrow somebody's X5 2nd gen. Hopefully, I can write up a brief comparison between the three DAPs sometime by the end of this week.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,528 of 15,899
I used another iem besides my tg334 and the hissing stop. Maybe fitear tg334 is too sensitive for x5iii. Now i used cypherlabs picollo with my x5iii to drive my tg334. Hopes fiio will help me on this problem

From what I've read the tg334 is known to be quite sensitive so the noise floor would be revealed easily with them. Just like the Shure SE846 is very sensitive and would reveal the noise floor of many amps.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #1,529 of 15,899
Line out one can use any 3.5 inter connector? But Coaxl needs a special connector?

You can use the standard TRS audio cable for Line Out, and the supplied Coaxial adapter for Coax Out. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 23, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #1,530 of 15,899
I've managed to get my hands on a loaner X5 3rd gen. I can say that there seems to be no major problems with the USB DAC - no delayed audio or audio glitches. I'm not sure about the losing connection randomly just yet since I haven't had enough time to play around with it yet to truly know if this isn't a problem.

And I agree with @TheoS53
and @superuser1
about the hissing - I haven't heard any hiss with the player when using my FLC8S or my Etymotic ER4P, though those aren't the most sensitive IEM in the world.

Anyways, besides the loaner X5 3rd gen, I also own an X7 and I have managed to borrow somebody's X5 2nd gen. Hopefully, I can write up a brief comparison between the three DAPs sometime by the end of this week.

Looking forward to your comparison. I am really enjoying my X5 3 with minor glitches. There is nothing major I can complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back