Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,456 of 15,899
If you require streaming services, then I agree, the Opus is not for you. But if you're looking for an excellent DAP in this price-range, then FiiO has it's work cut out for it.
cool.gif

Oh for sure, and this is even more true now that there are other good contenders from the Chinese market to consider. Though I can't help but to see FiiO as a bit of a feisty underdog and like "the little engine that could".

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #1,457 of 15,899
No obsession at all. I'm perfectly unbiased in this matter. My DAP is the AK120ii. I have no need for either the #1 or X5. I test this equipment objectively. The Opus goes back to nmatheis on Thursday.

If you require streaming services, then I agree, the Opus is not for you. But if you're looking for an excellent DAP in this price-range, then FiiO has it's work cut out for it. :cool:

Yeah, I'll vouch for my man PinkyPowers. He's just borrowing my Opus #1 out of curiosity. No stake in the game on his part. I think he's just impressed with it.

Regarding whether or not something is worth the price or a better buy, that's up to each person individually. Some want a lot of features. Some just want a solid standalone DAP. Some are willing to compromise sound for creature comforts. Some are purists and are fine with screenless DAPs. Some need gobs of power. Some need fine volume control for IEM. Some want warm sound. Some want neutral. Some want lean. It's good to recognize all this before arguing over whether one is a, better value than another...

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #1,458 of 15,899
Just got my x5iii yesterday.
Still a lot of bugs. Some songs and folders on both sd1 and sd2 can't be played.
Other songs "format not supported" even though it is only mp3 and mp4 with 320kbps.
Initial impression using both jh5 and ie80 with fiio balanced cables, the soundstage is improving a lot.
Hopefully fiio can solve all problem in next firmware.

Hai2000, 

Could you kindly tell us the Firmware version of your X5 3rd gen ?

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 22, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #1,459 of 15,899

​Is there a spec. sheet for the X7(ii)? How will it be superior to the X5 (iii): Features? Quality of components?

sjb57, we are so sorry that the spec.sheet of X7 2nd gen is not ready yet. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 22, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,460 of 15,899
Yeah, I'll vouch for my man @PinkyPowers. He's just borrowing my Opus #1 out of curiosity. No stake in the game on his part. I think he's just impressed with it.

Regarding whether or not something is worth the price or a better buy, that's up to each person individually. Some want a lot of features. Some just want a solid standalone DAP. Some are willing to compromise sound for creature comforts. Some are purists and are fine with screenless DAPs. Some need gobs of power. Some need fine volume control for IEM. Some want warm sound. Some want neutral. Some want lean. It's good to recognize all this before arguing over whether one is a, better value than another...

I think you hit the nail right where its supposed to be hit. At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference and pairing. Of course, the obvious, sound quality.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #1,461 of 15,899
If you require streaming services, then I agree, the Opus is not for you. But if you're looking for an excellent DAP in this price-range, then FiiO has it's work cut out for it.
cool.gif

Oh for sure, and this is even more true now that there are other good contenders from the Chinese market to consider. Though I can't help but to see FiiO as a bit of a feisty underdog and like "the little engine that could".

I too am hoping for great things from the X5iii. I love what they're doing on the hardware side of the user interface. Volume knobs especially are a passion of mine. I nearly bought the Cayin i5 just for its looks and feel, even though my AK sounded better.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,462 of 15,899
I loved my AK120ii. I love my Cayin i5. I have owned two Fiio units in the past. This new Fiio also appears to be a great unit.

Honestly, value for the money should not even be discussed as a relevant issue when comparing daps. The AK 120ii is higher priced than all of these units but that is all that means, it is higher priced. We should be comparing sound(at al volume levels), features that exist( not potentially exist in future) and power(ability to drive hard to drive headphones).

The AK 100ii and AK120ii were the best sounding daps I have heard. To me without a doubt the best user interface. I always wished they were a bit more powerful. People loathe AK's business practice because they price their units so high, but that is their business. 

The Fiio units I have owned always felt not ready for prime time, but that is just my opinion. 

The Cayin i5 has taken some shots for only having one storage slot. For me this has not been an issue I use a 256GB card and I am good. Also, the unit uses older Android and thus older bluetooth and wifi. Many, including Pinky, have felt it was to warm in it's sound delivery. I had the same initial impression but it is opening up nicely now and it is a dap you can listen to for long sessions and never fatiguing. The volume knob is really nice and it is powerful enough to drive the HD650 with some bass punch.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #1,463 of 15,899
I loved my AK120ii. I love my Cayin i5. I have owned two Fiio units in the past. This new Fiio also appears to be a great unit.

Honestly, value for the money should not even be discussed as a relevant issue when comparing daps. The AK 120ii is higher priced than all of these units but that is all that means, it is higher priced. We should be comparing sound(at al volume levels), features that exist( not potentially exist in future) and power(ability to drive hard to drive headphones).

The AK 100ii and AK120ii were the best sounding daps I have heard. To me without a doubt the best user interface. I always wished they were a bit more powerful. People loathe AK's business practice because they price their units so high, but that is their business. 

The Fiio units I have owned always felt not ready for prime time, but that is just my opinion. 

The Cayin i5 has taken some shots for only having one storage slot. For me this has not been an issue I use a 256GB card and I am good. Also, the unit uses older Android and thus older bluetooth and wifi. Many, including Pinky, have felt it was to warm in it's sound delivery. I had the same initial impression but it is opening up nicely now and it is a dap you can listen to for long sessions and never fatiguing. The volume knob is really nice and it is powerful enough to drive the HD650 with some bass punch.
You love, so why not stay with the AKs?

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,464 of 15,899
I think you hit the nail right where its supposed to be hit. At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference and pairing. Of course, the obvious, sound quality.

I get many PM's asking which DAP is best or which is better out of a couple with no context for what the individual wants or needs. So, I ask a lot of questions and sometimes steer them towards something they hadn't even considered at first.

In any case, jmills8 got my interest up after chatting with him a bit about the X5 v3. We have similar tastes and needs, so that helps!

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,465 of 15,899
You love, so why not stay with the AKs?

I sold my AK100ii because I wanted the increased storage space so I bought the AK120ii. I sold the AK120ii because I was trying to retire my hobby. As you can see I failed miserably at retirement. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #1,467 of 15,899
I sold my AK100ii because I wanted the increased storage space so I bought the AK120ii. I sold the AK120ii because I was trying to retire my hobby. As you can see I failed miserably at retirement. 
Yes I know that situation. Well there are many AKs on sale on HF. When I go and demo daps I am comparing the dap to my Hugo. Been using the X5III with Viper effects and this X5III competes with my Hugo. The X5III is musical but at the same time as detailed as my Hugo.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,468 of 15,899
Also, jmills8 since I was trying to buy another dap, it was like I had been there and done that and wanted to try something new. The other thing was I wanted to try to find a portable that had enough power to drive something like the HD650 if I needed to. The Questyle QP1R was an option and I felt it would have been a darn good option. But the i5 had just received a couple of votes for dap of the year so I gave it a try.

Edit: If I may add the pairing of the Meze 99 Classics and the Cayin i5 is superb.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,469 of 15,899
Listening to this on the X5III and B&W P7.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,470 of 15,899
We always get sucked back in, don't we :rofl:

We should have a warning in this hobby: Nobody's allowed to leave!  

Listening to this on the X5III and B&W P7.

This might not mean as much for some - but I think that the display looks absolutely gorgeous in your pictures. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back