Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #1,443 of 15,899
Getting to know the Opus #1 as I have this weekend, I see this as the X5iii's biggest threat. This is a great DAP. FiiO has a lot to live up to in my eyes. :D

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #1,444 of 15,899
Getting to know the Opus #1 as I have this weekend, I see this as the X5iii's biggest threat. This is a great DAP. FiiO has a lot to live up to in my eyes.
biggrin.gif

I hope the Fiio wins.  It does have some great potential for my budget.

Cheers

Riley

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #1,445 of 15,899
Getting to know the Opus #1 as I have this weekend, I see this as the X5iii's biggest threat. This is a great DAP. FiiO has a lot to live up to in my eyes.
biggrin.gif

Although I know little about the Opus#1 (besides what I have just looked up), it appears to be quite limited in functionality compared to the X5iii (lacking WiFi and Bluetooth) and less refined from a design point of view. The release prices for the Opus#1 are also >= US$250 more than the X5iii, and only now (almost a year later) available at about the same price-point. Without hearing both devices, I would say the X5iii already has a number of significant advantages.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #1,446 of 15,899
biggrin.gif

Although I know little about the Opus#1 (besides what I have just looked up), it appears to be quite limited in functionality compared to the X5iii (lacking WiFi and Bluetooth) and less refined from a design point of view. The release prices for the Opus#1 are also >= US$250 more than the X5iii, and only now (almost a year later) available at about the same price-point. Without hearing both devices, I would say the X5iii already has a number of significant advantages.

Well, I won't argue from a feature set perspective, but we'll have to get X5 v3 in more hands and see how sound compares...

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,447 of 15,899
Well, I won't argue from a feature set perspective, but we'll have to get X5 v3 in more hands and see how sound compares...

I think it is fair to say that everyone is holding out hope for this! I have my pre-order in already as FiiO is one of the only brands we can get in NZ. The other is A&K and I simply don't think they are good value for money.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,448 of 15,899
biggrin.gif

They are the same price now, which is all that matters.

I'm judging them on features I care about. Storage, driving power, UI, balanced, and of cource sound. I look forward to hearing the X5 when the review units are sent out. It should be an excellent competition.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,449 of 15,899

Sure, but the same could be said about any other thing a year after release. Comparing apples with apples, the X5iii is in a lower price bracket.

I'm judging them on features I care about. Storage, driving power, UI, balanced, and of cource sound. I look forward to hearing the X5 when the review units are sent out. It should be an excellent competition.

I am curious as to why theBit decided to go with an Android DAP, as most other apps wouldn't work without WiFi. Again, I think they are targeting different things and may not be directly comparable. Though I would definitely argue that the X5iii is better value for money for most people based on what we know so far.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #1,451 of 15,899

Sure, but the same could be said about any other thing a year after release. Comparing apples with apples, the X5iii is in a lower price bracket.

Your obsession with fruit is your business, don't let it confuse you. The price you pay for something today is all that matters.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #1,452 of 15,899
Your obsession with fruit is your business, don't let it confuse you. The price you pay for something today is all that matters.

Were that the case, you should also be recommending buying second hand or New Old Stock too. The reason why your point doesn't hold is that you'll be able to find the FiiO for less than its RRP after release anyway, which would make it cheaper than the Opus. Your obsession with an old DAP is your business, but don't let that confuse you. The FiiO is better value for money in almost every respect.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,453 of 15,899

I am curious as to why theBit decided to go with an Android DAP, as most other apps wouldn't work without WiFi. Again, I think they are targeting different things and may not be directly comparable. Though I would definitely argue that the X5iii is better value for money for most people based on what we know so far.

I'm from NZ as well. Where do you get your audio equipment from? I've been using computer lounge.

I've just ordered a pioneer 300r which worked out to be 570NZD off Amazon JP.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,454 of 15,899
I'm from NZ as well. Where do you get your audio equipment from? I've been using computer lounge.

I've just ordered a pioneer 300r which worked out to be 570NZD off Amazon JP.

I use CL as well and have been enough of a regular to build up a good rapport! I have asked them to see if the Onkyo/Pioneer supplier would be willing to import and sell to them. Problem is for something that pricey I really don't like having to deal with the hassle of GST+Duty+Customs charges on import, only to go through even more of an issue if something goes wrong with it. Not to mention consumer guarantees in effect gives us an extended warranty on things like this based on the test "how long is it expected to last". Still, the 300R is a very tempting proposition!

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,455 of 15,899

Were that the case, you should also be recommending buying second hand or New Old Stock too. The reason why your point doesn't hold is that you'll be able to find the FiiO for less than its RRP after release anyway, which would make it cheaper than the Opus. Your obsession with an old DAP is your business, but don't let that confuse you. The FiiO is better value for money in almost every respect.

No obsession at all. I'm perfectly unbiased in this matter. My DAP is the AK120ii. I have no need for either the #1 or X5. I test this equipment objectively. The Opus goes back to nmatheis on Thursday.

If you require streaming services, then I agree, the Opus is not for you. But if you're looking for an excellent DAP in this price-range, then FiiO has it's work cut out for it. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back