FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Oct 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #257 of 611

Quote:
Only the modded HD25's I have.  I liked the E7 better with the HD25 as it seems to match 50-70 ohm headphones better than the E6.  Ditto with the Fostex.  Outside that narrow range, the E6 comes out ahead.  If you find the HD25 you have is recessed in the mids, you should just get the E6.

how does the e6 and e7 affect the hd25, have you heard the pa2v2? or e11?

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #258 of 611

Technically they should affect them the same except that the e6 should have more bass authority with the way its power supply works (I think I read), but the modded hd25 and the fostex sounded very midrangey with e6.  Even eqing in Winamp didn't seem to help as much as when using the e7.  I couldn't tell you why that happens.  A lot of people find the hd25 way too dark and bassy when amped well, so maybe that's a good thing with the e6 if you have a stock hd25.  I find this modded hd25 neutral strait out of an Emu 0204 (not much electrical damping) and dark out of the e7, but it can be substantially eqed in both cases to good effect. I have not heard the pa2v2 (an amp?) or the e11.  For the price the e6 is going for, I would definitely get one no matter what.  It is an outstanding little portable amp that can take a full 2V input in mode three and works extremely well with headphones below 50 ohms and above 70 ohms for as high as you can tolerate the volume limitations.  It might also match much better than you'd expect from 50-70ohms, but you'll have to try it in your case to find out if it's the right tone for your ears.  I bought mine from someone that didn't find it to match well with their stuff, so you can also get some of your purchase price back even after 30 days.  Too cheap not to give it a go.

Quote:
how does the e6 and e7 affect the hd25, have you heard the pa2v2? or e11?

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #259 of 611

Quote:
Technically they should affect them the same except that the e6 should have more bass authority with the way its power supply works (I think I read), but the modded hd25 and the fostex sounded very midrangey with e6.  Even eqing in Winamp didn't seem to help as much as when using the e7.  I couldn't tell you why that happens.  A lot of people find the hd25 way too dark and bassy when amped well, so maybe that's a good thing with the e6 if you have a stock hd25.  I find this modded hd25 neutral strait out of an Emu 0204 (not much electrical damping) and dark out of the e7, but it can be substantially eqed in both cases to good effect. I have not heard the pa2v2 (an amp?) or the e11.  For the price the e6 is going for, I would definitely get one no matter what.  It is an outstanding little portable amp that can take a full 2V input in mode three and works extremely well with headphones below 50 ohms and above 70 ohms for as high as you can tolerate the volume limitations.  It might also match much better than you'd expect from 50-70ohms, but you'll have to try it in your case to find out if it's the right tone for your ears.  I bought mine from someone that didn't find it to match well with their stuff, so you can also get some of your purchase price back even after 30 days.  Too cheap not to give it a go. 

tru tru, wait so will the e6 give the hd25 more bass or mids, because I like the sound signature, I don't think it's dark, I think the bass is just really punchy without bleeding into the mids.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #260 of 611

Bass is a little more tuneful and quick on its feet, but there seems to be more midrange focus and a smoother, liquid sound with the E6 on those two headphones.  My hd25s are already really liquid by default, so it's more on top of that.  Even with EQing, the Fostex doesn't get V-shaped-sounding with the E6.  I have one mild EQ for it and one severe in Winamp, and even on the latter it sounds almost like the Fostex coming direct out of the Emu 0204 without any EQing... but much faster low-end.  Try it.  It's not a BAD sound that way, but the E7 can be more crisp up top after EQing AND darker in how the bass balances to the mids.  The E6 seems forgiving and universally liquid with them.  Probably the same amount of detail.  So maybe it's the mild grit or dryness on the E7 that helps "harden" the highs a touch, which adding a trough EQ to allows you to exploit.  The E6 just never get hard or a bite to it with the HD25 and Fostex.  If I had some of my other headphones from storage that are 64ohms, I guess I could confirm it's the 50-70ohm cans that don't seem quite as crispy to me as on the E7.  Perhaps it's just those two headphones I've got, though.  I can't say if your stock HD25 will sound right to you or not, or even if they don't if the bass speed advantage is sufficient to overlook the apparent tonal changes that might occur.  You've got an inexpensive means of finding out, though.
Quote:
tru tru, wait so will the e6 give the hd25 more bass or mids, because I like the sound signature, I don't think it's dark, I think the bass is just really punchy without bleeding into the mids.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #262 of 611
DX always has genuine FiiO products, but I have no hope for that M50.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #264 of 611

Quote:
Should I get a line out cable or will the 3.5 to 3.5 work fine?

Curious, I just got my e6 and this is my first portable amp

If you are using an Apple product, get a FiiO LOD. It should cost you less than $20.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #266 of 611

Quote:
I see there is a L1, L3, and L9 by them, whats the difference, because I can't see any specwise. 

L1 is the slim version, L3 is the full size version with better cable, L9 is the L-shaped version where the cable goes out from the side of the dock instead of the bottom.

Check them out on FiiO website: http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?MenuID=020303

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #269 of 611

Quote:
I feel that the second eq option on the E6 balances out grado 80i's really well.

I agree...the EQ2 works great with my 60i's.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #270 of 611

Quote:
which has least hiss pa2v2, e7, e6, or soundmagic a10? 

Hiss: E7 > E6 > A10 > PA2V2.

While PA2V2 might have the least hiss, it also has the least performance among the 4.

Also saw your question on other threads - sibilance is mainly an issue of the headphone, especially peaks in the frequency response around 2kHz ~ 8kHz. If you want less sibilance, try EQing that section of the FR down. Amp is really not the answer for sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back