FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Oct 12, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #241 of 611

Quote:

My only question is, I plan on getting a pair of Grado's SR60i/80i by the end of the year.  Will the E6 be able to drive them sufficiently? 

It works very well with the SR60i. I just got mine the other day, the first combo I tried was ZuneHD-->E6-->SR60i. That player didn't work very well with the Grados before, it gave a very bass-light and bright sound...(of course,  all the Grado-haters say that's how they always sound) but add the E6 and the EQ2 setting, and the combination sounds really, really nice.
gs1000.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #242 of 611
Anyone with a FiiO e6 can you please confirm me this.
When i plug a 3.5mm jack from either my L9 LOD or a 3.5-to-3.5 interconnect cabble (come with the E6), i notice the plug doesn't come in completely into the line-in jack. There is still bit outside, about 2-3mm but noticeable. The sound still come out though.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #243 of 611

Quote:
When i plug a 3.5mm jack from either my L9 LOD or a 3.5-to-3.5 interconnect cabble (come with the E6), i notice the plug doesn't come in completely into the line-in jack. There is still bit outside, about 2-3mm but noticeable. The sound still come out though.

It should fit all the way in.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #244 of 611

Quote:

You might have to force it a bit. But if you're not having problems with it, I suggest you leave it as is

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #246 of 611

Quote:
I just got my E6 yesterday and both 3.5mm sockets require some significant force to insert the jack and are held in very firmly, which is no bad thing.

+1, especially the input hole is very tight.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #247 of 611
Listen to your advices, i tried to twist and put a little bit force when pluged.
It came in completely now and i fell much secure than before.
I thought that i got a defective unit, seem like it is the same to everyone xD
Thank you, guys.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #248 of 611
[size=10pt]So you apply the EQ3 setting to get the low gain mode that allows 2V inputs? So that would explain why there was some distortion on crescendos (I thought that was strange for HDtracks) and the balance seemed oddly tilted to the left, with a kind of lack of dynamics and the acoustic space not being filled out completely on the right side. Right channel info hard right would play, but without the ambience and stuff in between right and center didn't seem very resolved. I notice the E7 also does a similar thing. Whenever I find that happening I know the Emu 0204 is too high accidentally and have to test it again. Funny quirk. Now, the 2.17V output of the 0204 should be fine, right? I don't need to worry about the extra 0.17V or anything? Is the input tolerance withOUT the low gain mode on the E6 about the same as on the E7? And I assume you can't burn anything out by accidentally putting a 2V signal in when the low gain mode is not on.[/size]

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #251 of 611
Rightmark didn't find any problems with the device. In 2V mode (red & blue light together), 80dB S/N ratio & dynamic range with USB power. 90dB without USB power. 70dB separation as a line output without USB power, which is consistent with other good quality near-zero-ohm headphone jacks. No issues with distortion at the Emu 0204's 2.17V output at 100 volume in Windows in 2V mode. Sounds nice.

Not quite as much gusto and bite in the mids and highs as the E7, but bass is more tuneful and lacking in the E7's wooly quality into higher impedances. E6 is slightly more refined and grain & grit free in the midrange. Having the USB powering the E6 seems to give some (but not all) of that gusto and control back to the E6, at the expense of refinement and noise floor. This is obviously even more apparent when the battery is running low, which there doesn't seem to be any visual indication of.

With low impedance headphones like the KRK 6400, the E6 is superior. With higher impedance headphones like the ER4S, there's no question the E6 is an improvement. I assume the smaller battery will become a bigger problem for very high ohm cans. Mostly good in my opinion compared to the E7 except in the 50-70ohm range, where the E7 seems to have the right combo of current and voltage even if it's not as refined. With headphones in between like the Fostex T50rp or my modded Sennheiser HD25, it's a toss up. It changes them some good, some bad.

T50rp sounds more constrained and less resolved on the E6. HD25 is rather midrange-oriented with the E6 while it sounds downright dark and bass heavy on the E7, while retaining a bite up top. I definitely prefer the KRK on the E6. Tron Legacy's score blows me away with that combo. Ditto with the ER4S but with a very different sound where orchestral recordings are more ambient, warmer, more real.

Synthetic or produced music sounds more artificial with the seams and artificial distortion and other processing more apparent. I'm not too fond of how the E7 drives the Ety. It's both warmer, but dryer than the E6 with them. Maybe that's more accurate? I don't know. I can send the 0204 headphone jack (prior to clipping) at 3 o'clock into the E7 at 60 (max volume) with the ER4S and get symphony hall volumes (try Recognizer), but it doesn't sound as liquid or engaging as the E6 at lower volumes. I don't need to crank this little guy to engage on the Ety. Perhaps that "dryness" is actually the E7 just fleshing out more low-level detail while the E6 is glossing over it? Don't know. And the E6 sounds fine with line outs while I find the E7 does better with headphone outs going into it.

Neither the E7 or E6 are clean with USB power when maxed out. Buzz. I do find I also hear quite deep into the sound with the E7 and modded HD25 combo, though: the difference between MP3 encodings compared to their lossless versions is night and day.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #252 of 611

Quote:
Rightmark didn't find any problems with the device.  In 2V mode (red & blue light together), 80dB S/N ratio & dynamic range with USB power.  90dB without USB power.  70dB separation as a line output without USB power, which is consistent with other good quality near-zero-ohm headphone jacks.  No issues with distortion at the Emu 0204's 2.17V output at 100 volume in Windows in 2V mode.  Sounds nice. 

Not quite as much gusto and bite in the mids and highs as the E7, but bass is more tuneful and lacking in the E7's wooly quality into higher impedances.  E6 is slightly more refined and grain & grit free in the midrange.  Having the USB powering the E6 seems to give some (but not all) of that gusto and control back to the E6, at the expense of refinement and noise floor.  This is obviously even more apparent when the battery is running low, which there doesn't seem to be any visual indication of. 

With low impedance headphones like the KRK 6400, the E6 is superior.  With higher impedance headphones like the ER4S, there's no question the E6 is an improvement.  I assume the smaller battery will become a bigger problem for very high ohm cans.  Mostly good in my opinion compared to the E7 except in the 50-70ohm range, where the E7 seems to have the right combo of current and voltage even if it's not as refined.  With headphones in between like the Fostex T50rp or my modded Sennheiser HD25, it's a toss up.  It changes them some good, some bad. 

T50rp sounds more constrained and less resolved on the E6.  HD25 is rather midrange-oriented with the E6 while it sounds downright dark and bass heavy on the E7, while retaining a bite up top.  I definitely prefer the KRK on the E6.  Tron Legacy's score blows me away with that combo.  Ditto with the ER4S but with a very different sound where orchestral recordings are more ambient, warmer, more real. 

Synthetic or produced music sounds more artificial with the seams and artificial distortion and other processing more apparent.  I'm not too fond of how the E7 drives the Ety.  It's both warmer, but dryer than the E6 with them.  Maybe that's more accurate?  I don't know.  I can send the 0204 headphone jack (prior to clipping) at 3 o'clock into the E7 at 60 (max volume) with the ER4S and get symphony hall volumes (try Recognizer), but it doesn't sound as liquid or engaging as the E6 at lower volumes.  I don't need to crank this little guy to engage on the Ety.  Perhaps that "dryness" is actually the E7 just fleshing out more low-level detail while the E6 is glossing over it?  Don't know.  And the E6 sounds fine with line outs while I find the E7 does better with headphone outs going into it.  

Neither the E7 or E6 are clean with USB power when maxed out.  Buzz.  I do find I also hear quite deep into the sound with the E7 and modded HD25 combo, though: the difference between MP3 encodings compared to their lossless versions is night and day.

@Reticuli2, great stuff, but I really needed a few paragraphs in there ! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #253 of 611

Users who are viewing this thread

Back