FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Sep 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #211 of 611

Quote:
My only question is, I plan on getting a pair of Grado's SR60i/80i by the end of the year.  Will the E6 be able to drive them sufficiently? 

Grado are mostly 32 ohm with relatively high sensitivity, so you should be fine.

Quote:
Happy to hear otherwise, but isnt there a commercially-available LOD for the Clip/Clip+ now ? I could be getting it confused with the LOD they bought out for the Sony players - anyone ?

No such thing as LOD for Clip / Clip+. May be you confused it with LOD for Fuze?

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #212 of 611

Thanks for the reply. 
cool.gif

Quote:

Grado are mostly 32 ohm with relatively high sensitivity, so you should be fine.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #213 of 611

Quote:
Just got my E6 Today.  VERY happy with it.  Though the FiiO L1 Cord you see was defective (and has been sent back).  Guess I need to pay a little extra and Get one of the newer FiiO Cords.

Anyhoo...  On to my current set up:

iPod nano (5th Gen), FiiO E6 (Mini Amp), Koss Portapro's

I am very happy with the sound.  I think it is about as good as it gets for the price.

My only question is, I plan on getting a pair of Grado's SR60i/80i by the end of the year.  Will the E6 be able to drive them sufficiently? 

yea, my friend uses his SR60s with iPod Touch+Fiio L9 line out+Fiio E6. and it sounds so good

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #214 of 611
@ClieOS Do you know what the crosstalk figure of your RMAA into 16 Ohm resistance was ?

I'm trying to figure out how does the E6 fare vs the E5 in the crosstalk area since in the frequency response department it's clear that there's an interesting improvment (No bass roll-off).

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #215 of 611

Quote:
@ClieOS Do you know what the crosstalk figure of your RMAA into 16 Ohm resistance was ?

I'm trying to figure out how does the E6 fare vs the E5 in the crosstalk area since in the frequency response department it's clear that there's an interesting improvment (No bass roll-off).

They are both around the 57~60dB area IIRC, but you should take that number with caution as I have measured far better amp that turned up with relatively similar number. My conclusion is that my soundcard is simply not good enough to 'tell' between a good amp and a great amp on a lot of area. That's why I don't posted RMAA result much as the measurement relies too much on the quality of the soundcard (and actually the whole system, especially the cleanest of the power supply) and in this case, mine just sucks and only good for basic stuff. I'll do another RMAA tonight and give you the number.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #216 of 611
I know that RMAA absolute figures are not very reliable (Specially crosstalk ones) but they are good enough for comparison between devices.

Anyway 60 is a quite a good number of such a low load.

I still use the Fiio E5 as a volume control at the office and i'm trying not to jump on the E6 for that purpose till the E5 dies...but my E5 seems unbreakable. 3 years into service and still keeping up.

I would have never thought that this 20$  device would serve me for countless hours and would last all these years. These folks at Fiio make very sturdy stuff :wink:

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #217 of 611
Just run a RMAA test on E5, E6 and E7. Using both E7's DAC (line-out) and D-zero's line out as source, it shows that E6 is in average about 1.5dB better than E5 and E7 on crosstalk.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #218 of 611
Thanks a lot for running the tests.

So it's pretty much an acceptable performance in that area and the almost ruler flat frequency response it can provide to balanced armatures makes it a really worth purchase.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #220 of 611
That would be greatly appreciated. And i wish more manufacturers would offer to do so (I've asked to many smartphone makers about the output impedance of their devices headphones out and they have never given me a figure. Nor Westone or Shure would provide me with an impedance curve of their iems). As a customer i feel kind of naked against the marketing thunderstorms :wink:

Let me conclude the post by appreciating the great value of the Fiio products. As well as the build quality. As i told earlier my E5 is three years old and still works as day one. And it has many flight hours under her belly :wink:

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #221 of 611

Quote:
We can post the test data by our AP

Yeah, that would be great.

Next step would be for me to find the cheapest vendor online for the USA.  My O2 is still a ways off and I'm not too hopeful about anyone being able to get me a zero-gain 4556 non-split-railed cmoy.  I really wanna hear my Emu 0204 with its hot 2.07V output in all its glory.  A digital volume control on the E6 looks like it might seal the deal.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #222 of 611
Finally got mine. Sounded a bit muddled and grainy right out of the box right after the first charge.
The amp is almost able to play my HD650s loud enough.

Not very transparent compared to Headstage Arrow 2G(HA), though. Perhaps it will help a little burning it in a few hours.

After 15-20 minutes of play it either starts to sound better or I am getting used to the sound. The louder you play the more grainier it sounds. 
The amp is of course not able to pinpoint the position of music instruments like HA is, but then it only costs one tenth of HA.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #225 of 611
I am currently planning on using my Vsonic GR07 with my HTC Desire HD phone. I know HTC phones are typically known for poor quality DACs. Will getting a portable amp like E6 offset the inadequacies of my music player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back