FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Jan 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #481 of 611
personally i used them with my noontec zoros, hifiman re400, monster turbines, vsonic gr07

the closest in sound signature amongst what i have to your ue6000 is the noontec zoros and the turbines

more so the noontec zoros in the sense that the treble rolls off bit more quickly

the fiio e6 i feel is a dark amp, to be totally honest i honestly don't think they do much if anything to the treble ( if anything it sounds even more recessed relative to the bass and the mids emphasis)

now i'm a/bin this with my iphone with the amp and without at roughly what i think is the similar volume ( on iphone alone i use the noontec at about 4 clicks /16 i think) on the fiio amp i use it at 1 click (on the fiio amp 1 click is +2 in volume, so for convenience sake i will just say clicks from now on ) 2 clicks (which really +3 volume)

what it does is bump up the volume (using 4+ on iphone vs +3 with the amp) the bass feels more emphasized if you want to think of it in relative sense the bass seems like its been bumped up +3 the mids +2 treble +0/1

the bass becomes bigger and tighter more so in the midbass > sub bass 

the lower mids- middle mids is more emphasised so male vocals become more rich

female vocals in the higher mids to lower treble still sounded nice but not as nice as with male vocals

no change really in sound stage

as stated above i did not feel like the treble was really touched at all, there was no extra sparkle or extension, but no harshness either

also something to note the post above was just comparing both the iphone and amp in vanilla mode (no eq on the fiio amp so eq1= nothing)

ignore eq2 the bass is far too overblown and gets muddy fast, making the transitition to mid range very weird and makes the treble soo recessed

the eq 3 however is a better than eq 2 i still like to use the amp without eq or on eq4 (reducing db good for low impedence and high sensitive gear (basically most of my gear) and good for using volume inbetween eq 1 (cause i felt the volume difference in eq1 was too big sometimes, and i use eq3 as a way to find a inbtween volume ex i can use the noontec zoro only up to +3 volume on eq 1 but when use eq4 i can go as far as +5, cause it limits the amount of juice that goes into the headphones)

soo back to eq3 the bass is a looser but bigger (tighter than eq2 but less than eq1) the mids become a bit recessed the lower treble gets bumped it ( on my slight siblant gr07) made the siblance more noticeable

the mid to higher treble was pretty much left untouched so there was no much sparkle despite the increase in bass and treble

hoped it helped lemme know if you need any help or clarification on what i said above

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #482 of 611
  Dear head-fi expierts,

I am new to the head-fi scene, and currently have following IEMs/cans: MEElectronics M6, M9, and also Monoprice 8323 and 8320

These are really amazing bang for the buck IEMs/cans that I picked up based on the reviews on this forum, so thanks!

Now I started to commute more, and noticed the bass in these IEMs/cans get drawn out during car rides, and so I am looking for a portable amp to bring out some of that drawn out bass during my commute.

Based on my IEMs/cans selection, my question is: will a Fiio E6 be good enough for me, or will I benefit from a Fiio E11 more?

any input is appreciated, TIA

M

the e11 i would like to add is even darker > fiio6 so even more bass (even with no eq applied) i had demoed them a while ago but i do own the e6. and using the line out with my ipod makes it so convenient when adjusting volume and brought my ipod back to life (battery is bad and the headphone jack is distorted) but its 32gb so can't waste that!

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #483 of 611
I just got the E6 and WOW I am impressed. My TDK IE800 never sounded this good..in fact I many times wanted to sell them thinking they sucked! :D
My Xperia Z Ultra now is rocking the house with this tiny amp. I am getting the E11 on Monday but since the E6 is making me happy and so small, I may not keep the E11.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #484 of 611
  I just got the E6 and WOW I am impressed. My TDK IE800 never sounded this good..in fact I many times wanted to sell them thinking they sucked! :D
My Xperia Z Ultra now is rocking the house with this tiny amp. I am getting the E11 on Monday but since the E6 is making me happy and so small, I may not keep the E11.

send the e11 over here! i like the e6 but the e11 is more practical especially with the ipod touch older generatsion (where the 30pin hole can easily plug into the bottom socket) and the headphone jack comes out at the same general area 

i hate how the e6 the input and the output is on opposite sides

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #486 of 611
From what I have read you dont, at least with my phone I do like 3 or 4 clicks down from max. But I guess it varies.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #487 of 611
  When using this with a portable player, should I keep the player at max volume?

nope never have them at max volume, it will distort most of the time

imo at max go to 80-85% and adjust the volume from the amp from there

but even then its really far too loud even with the fiio amp at eq 1(no eq essentially) and even with eq 3( reduced db/ loudness) it was really loud.

note i do tend to listen to a bit quieter than "normal people"

but even then still i would recommend 70% to be enough but of course its up to you

but the 1 rule of thumb is to never max out the volume of your portable player

1) you blow out your ears 
2) it distorts so much that any benefits you get from the amp gets nullified 

just my two cents 

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #488 of 611
I just got my first pair of good headphones (koss pro dj100) and a fiio e6. I wasn't completely sure what volume to keep my zune HD because this is actually the first headphone amp i've used. So thanks

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #489 of 611
I bought the e6 three weeks ago and fell in love with the thing. It's a perfect little amp for work or when on the go. It adds richness adopting to your music beyond what your smartphone provides. unfortunately it only lasted for about 2 weeks before the battery decided to not charge anymore. Has anyone else had issues with fiio products doing this? I am sending it back to be replaced. Hopefully it's a random defect in the one I had.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #490 of 611
I've had an issue with the e6 where it would charge but would'nt power on. A couple months later i found it in the bottom of my draw, turned it on and viola, it was alive again, weird huh...

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #495 of 611
It really depends on the headphone. Generally, headphones that need an amp sound gritty, sound harsh, have a small soundstage, and lack bass. The fiio e6 can help with that.

Actually im in the minority, the headphone jack on my ipod touch (32gb) broke so i used the line out to my fiio e6. I just got the e6 to kepp my ipod touch alive (kept it alive another 9months and going strong!!)

I liked my neutral sound coming re400. It didnt need anymore treble or bass boost. I just need that little bass bump, it was little bas light for me but it could use a bit bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back