FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 1, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #5,762 of 6,777
As long as enough amps and volts are being delivered to the headphone in the first place. You are fine with that amp and dont "require" a more powerful one.

What you probably mean is a better one.

Power does not equal sound quality.

Also, for headphones of the range you are using. Its not too wise to spend on a dac and amp more than half the cost of the headphone right now.

That changes once you get to $300 and above though.
But in reality, it only changes once you hit that point because it shows that you are serious about auio an want those performance squeezed out of it.

May 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,763 of 6,777
Thanks.
School, as where it was at, will not force the idiot to pay for it.
He walks around now, so smug, thinking he's untouchable because he doesn't have to cough up.
I do know how to solder, thing is, I'd need an iron. And if I stuff it up... Well.. Broken Broken AUX jack indeed. :triportsad:

With any luck he will have a bright promising future in a prison farm, say 5-10 years.
People like that disgust me.:mad:

Hello Fiio.

My AUX jack on my e17 is completely destroyed.

What has happened is some idiot thought it'd be funny to smash my shorts on the concrete ground with my e17 in them, still connected to my AUX jack. He will not accept responsibility, or pay up. The jack has been rammed into the AUX connector, basically like ramming a screwdriver into the AUX port.

Is there anywhere I can get a repair? I'm a Fiio fan, but $130 for something I already have is costly. :p

The amp only works now through DAC.

Go to the police or beat the crap out of him...

Sent it back to them, cost me 17 bucks postage, repair is free.

Support staff were more than kind, better than any support staff I've experienced, ever.

In regards to the person who broke it, I can't do jack all about it. I hope my E17 gets to china and avoids the earthquakes.

May 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #5,764 of 6,777
Something to stray away from the issues :D

I've gotten my E17 back in May 2012 and the 1 Year birthday for my amp (first power on May 28th 2012 at 5:00PM PST). I couldn't be more satisfied with this piece of gear from Fiio. For the build quality reaching it's 1 year birthday, everything is intact EXCEPT my golden AUX IN port at the bottom (but it still works!). Only signs of paint scratch are present on the sides of the amp itself, but nothing to major. I'd upload pictures directly to here but my internet + HeadFi's Servers are not nice to each other. And I'm not sure about the linking policy on the forums :3

I would have sent her in for repairs, but living in a country where the postal service steals everything that looks good, there is no chance whatsoever of getting the help, but support staff has been very helpful, making sure I got what I could, without sending her in. 

I use the amp as my primary device considering my sound card isn't the best nor can it power 3 of my headphones efficiently 

My ears a no longer used to hearing "sound" in general without the amp. It actually makes me cringe to know that my (Koss PortaPros, Monoprice Headphones, HD 280s, HD 380s, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-500's) + (E17) all sound better than the best movie theater in the city and pretty much 95% better than the rest of the country.

Overall, brilliant amp :D 

Misc Info
Firmware Version: 00LC11EN
Runtime: 99 Days 23 Hours 43 minutes

P.S. Not really a new member. Never really bothered to make a account since either my problems were answered already or were asked/answered within 1-2 days of my problem. Oh yeah and Former Resident of Southern California, Currently a Student in Northern Philippines

May 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #5,766 of 6,777
Quote:
Everything is intact EXCEPT my golden AUX IN port at the bottom (but it still works!). Only signs of paint scratch are present on the sides of the amp itself, but nothing too major.

One more thing, that I just discovered, if you leave a current setting for too long it will burn x) its not obvious at all, only obvious when you use the menu and have the highlight on the center middle item, mine says USB/OPT 88 underneath the highlighted item (overlay both USB and OPT together) I guess I should use the hold more often.

That's all. 

May 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #5,767 of 6,777
Quote:
Does anyone know what is System Set (default set) means?

This resets the device to factory settings.

This is one of two ways to 'reset' the E17.

Nothing big really as the E17 doesn't really hold much data that can't be reprogrammed in a minute or two.

May 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5,768 of 6,777
Just got my E17, so forgive the noob question.  I'm using the USB connection to a Windows 7 laptop.  I have the E17 "SPDIF" setting as the "Default Device" in Windows. 

While I'm getting great audio through the E17 when playing files in WinAmp, when I try to play a file in Adobe Audition 3.0, the audio will only come out of the computer speakers.  The default device is still set for SPDIF. 

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.  Did I miss a simple setting? 

May 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #5,769 of 6,777
Possibly with Adobe like in Foobar2K you have an option to select the output device within the program as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #5,770 of 6,777
Just got my E17, so forgive the noob question.  I'm using the USB connection to a Windows 7 laptop.  I have the E17 "SPDIF" setting as the "Default Device" in Windows. 

While I'm getting great audio through the E17 when playing files in WinAmp, when I try to play a file in Adobe Audition 3.0, the audio will only come out of the computer speakers.  The default device is still set for SPDIF. 

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.  Did I miss a simple setting? 
Dont mind it saying spdif even if its usb. It will use that name often.

In adobe, look under settings for audio and see what your default playback device is set to and change it to the one you want. It may use something like wasapi or asio that lets you choose default output yourself without windows interfeeeing

So basically my guess is that it also has an audio default selector.

May 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5,771 of 6,777
Just got my E17, birthday present from work! thanks boss

just plugged it into my win7 laptop, via Foobar, Wasapi Push drivers,
shows on Laptop as SPDIF Interface USB audio device

Using USB (optical cable on the way) and despite setting Foobar and playback devices to 24/96
when I play 24/96 Flacs, they show as 16/48 on the E17?

any clues?

ps I hope it gets better with burn in , first impressions are a bit closed in

May 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5,772 of 6,777
Just got my E17, birthday present from work! thanks boss

just plugged it into my win7 laptop, via Foobar, Wasapi Push drivers,
shows on Laptop as SPDIF Interface USB audio device

Using USB (optical cable on the way) and despite setting Foobar and playback devices to 24/96
when I play 24/96 Flacs, they show as 16/48 on the E17?

any clues?

ps I hope it gets better with burn in , first impressions are a bit closed in

Yes. Easy answer. You have to change the settings Sotheby's E17 will play at that level. Go back to the sound settings where you see it show the USB SPDIF input. Go into its setting click on advanced and select the setting of 24bit 96khz and that'll enable it to play those higher quality files.

See if that works

Thanks,

May 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #5,773 of 6,777
thanks - "Sothebys"?

do you mean on my laptop?
I have changed the "advanced" to 2 channel 24bit 96000 hz (studio quality) -the "Test does" work
and plays as 24/96 - then I launch Foobar and anything I throw at it shows as 48k 16bit on the E17 screen

Have now tried 320AAC. 16/44, 24/48 (beatles) and 24/96
everything shows on Fiio as 16/48

Edit -
If in Foobar I change the output,device to DS :SPDIF Interface (Fiio USB DAC E-17)
and not WASAPI then I get 24/96 appearing on the Fiio,
Changing back to WASAPI gives me 16/48 back again

So why doesn't WASAPI like the E17 then ? had no previous problems with E07k or Audiengine D1

Edit I do have the latest WASAPI 3.2.3

this is driving me nuts

Another edit, tried it with Vista 32 bit desktop, works beautifully, no issues.

Really no such thing as plug and play with this hobby is there!

May 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #5,774 of 6,777
Hey KT66

Let's check some settings here and see...

Playback Devices:
I made the custom icon for the E17/E09K,
you's will probably look like the default Car Radio Icon.

I also checked the Advanced Tab as well, mine was set to 24/96, but even when I set that to 16/44.1 (CD Quality).
The E17 still switched over to 96K 24bit when playing a 24/96 track

Foobar 2000 WASAPI:

And Your Songs:

The AC/DC track is 16/44.1 and my E17 shows 48K 16bit (it shows 48K instead of 44.1K as explained in the manual)
The Metallica track is 24/96 and the E17 shows 96K 24bit

That is pretty much all you have to set and check.

Hope it helps!
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #5,775 of 6,777
thanks - I have tried all that - so far

Acer Laptop Win 7 64 bit, only 16/48 if using WASAPI
Dell Desktop Vista 32 bit - working perfectly
Just tried my new work laptop Vaio Win 8 - only 16/44
and when I tick Apply after telling the device in Advanced that it is 24/96 I now get
"error unsupported format"    - interesting that is says it is being used by another device when it clearly is not 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back