FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 17, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #5,776 of 6,777
I unplug it , try a different USB 3.0 input and now its ok - even Wasapi shows at 24/96

so just one Win 7 laptop it has problems with - I can live with that

May 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #5,777 of 6,777
Very strange, you mention USB 3 ports, can you try is in a USB 2 port? The 3's are supposed to ne backward compatible but who knows... Also could you try it through a USB Hub if you have one, it would be good to know for the thread here as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #5,778 of 6,777
USB 2.0 now works

So only the Win 7 64 bit to get working

I never have liked laptops, this is another reason why, just not consistant

tim

May 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #5,779 of 6,777
Quote:
Hey KT66

Let's check some settings here and see...

Playback Devices:
I made the custom icon for the E17/E09K,
you's will probably look like the default Car Radio Icon.

Just got my E9 today and trying it out with my E17. Is there any way I can get that icon from you? It looks so sweet!

May 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #5,780 of 6,777
Quote:
Just got my E9 today and trying it out with my E17. Is there any way I can get that icon from you? It looks so sweet!

You sure can, here is the post with the instructions.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/5655#post_9315009

Here is the icon file
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29361323/E17-E09K.ico
(right click and save target or save link as etc...)

beerchug.gif

May 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #5,781 of 6,777
Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5,782 of 6,777
What I don't get is that Fiio pack lots of lovely accessories in the box, but the one
thing you really need to hear the E17 at it's best, an optical cable. is not included.

Audioengine also annoyingly do this.

I find the range and choices of Opitcal/Toslink/SDIF the most confusing thing about this hobby
so to include a simple starter cable would be really welcome. Everyone would already
have a USB cable.

May 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #5,783 of 6,777
Quote:
What I don't get is that Fiio pack lots of lovely accessories in the box, but the one
thing you really need to hear the E17 at it's best, an optical cable. is not included.

I find the range and choices of Opitcal/Toslink/SDIF the most confusing thing about this hobby
so to include a simple starter cable would be really welcome. Everyone would already
have a USB cable.

They have a specifically designed S/PDIF Optical Toslink(mini toslink) cable for short interconnect purposes for sale on their store
http://fiio.net/products/index.aspx?ID=100000018364884&MenuID=105026009

Many stores at first also bundled for free an optical cable.

A cable would increase size of the package. Even a short one would not fit.

And no, it wouldn't be easy

Optical Toslink is very specific to what you want to do.

Some appliaces are Toslink whilst others are mini toslink. And thus should FiiO include a 5 feet long something toslink cable into their package? It would increase the size of the box a lot already. Is an accessorie that isn't needed to be bundled but rather side purchased as needed and is up to the users own needs.

May 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #5,784 of 6,777
I've noticed my E17/E9 combo is very picky about which USB port I use it with. I have 6 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 and I've found that USB 3.0 doesn't work at all and depending on which devices I have plugged into which ports it will cut out, periodically get static and revert to normal, or not work entirely.

For a while there I could only get it to work with my front-facing, left USB port and it required rebooting every time the sound would cut out. I have it plugged into my a rear USB port now and it seems to be functioning fine, but I won't know until it acts up again. I'm updating USB drivers as I type this and I hope it helps. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with USB slot finickiness?

And I've never used the E7, but I've noticed that I can still use the treble/bass EQ, gain, and volume controls on my E17 while it is docked and the headphone out still works. Is this normal?

May 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #5,785 of 6,777
Normal, unless you the line out bypass switch on the side down.

With it down, the E17's controls don't affect the E09K.

Yes the headphone jack works when docked as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #5,786 of 6,777
Quote:

have a USB cable.

Those FiiO L12 & L12S cables are very nice looking, I just might have to pick up a pair!

But these are the ones I use at the moment, the short Hosa (2') is very thin and could be included in the E17 Package.
Hosa Technology Toslink 2'
Hosa Technology Premium ADAT Toslink 15'

Monoprice Audio Cables - Optical Toslink
They have them all, just pick your poison.
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #5,787 of 6,777
Maybe it's my age but I find the whole digital cables thing too complicated.

Two adapters come in the e17 box , I have no idea what they are or how they are used.!

May 20, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #5,788 of 6,777
Those FiiO L12 & L12S cables are very nice looking, I just might have to pick up a pair!

But these are the ones I use at the moment, the short Hosa (2') is very thin and could be included in the E17 Package.
Hosa Technology Toslink 2'
Hosa Technology Premium ADAT Toslink 15'

Monoprice Audio Cables - Optical Toslink
They have them all, just pick your poison.
:beerchug:
That's exactly it the choice of terminations is vast. the chance of buying the wrong cable is too easy
Fiio can drop the USB and analogue cables provided , but.a short starter optical would be welcome

All I want is to connect it to a laptop or optical out of my desktop

I have had an Audioengine D1 for year, I have still only used USB as I just can't work out what digital cable to get, and I have rung Audioengine. and many big hifi dealers in the UK , no one can give me a simple answer

May 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5,789 of 6,777
I got my FiiO e17 today. Is it normal that headphone jack does not go all the way inside? All my headphones leave little space. 

Picture included. HD 598 with that enormous adapter currently in e17.

May 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #5,790 of 6,777
Push it a little harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back