FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #5,596 of 6,777
We'll have to hijack this thread into the "Old Mac's still doing the Job!" thread. :D
Funny I was just thinking the same thing. Back on subject, does anyone know the specifics of whether or not the e17 bypasses the battery when used as a DAC via USB and you turn USB charging off. I believe it doesn't but won't be able to test and pay attention unit,the morning.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #5,597 of 6,777
Yeah she's a trooper I've had it since October 2006 and she's been through hell. Just last year I switched from my original hdd to an ssd and upgraded my ram and she runs great (for what I use her which is just browsing and listening to music on occasion watching sd videos) for everything else I have my hexacore desktop:)

Very cool. I did not know a SSD was a possible upgrade for that Mac - I'd love to try one some day.

Oh also … I'm off on the date of my iBook - may be more like late '04 (?). FWIW

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #5,598 of 6,777
We'll have to hijack this thread into the "Old Mac's still doing the Job!" thread. :D

Here is the C2D Optical Out > E17 > DT880 Pro's (The Colorfly C3 is just strapped in on the bottom for the ride.)

:beerchug:  To Old Mac's still doing the Job! :beerchug:

Cheers. Looks great.

I use Fidelia as well … but mine rests down at the bottom of the screen! lol (I wonder if wood blocks, or brass, would improve SQ!?)

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #5,600 of 6,777
FYI, just found an incredible matching headphone for the E17.  My poor Focal Spirit Ones that used to be glued to my E17 just got some heated competition in the form of a set of Yamaha Pro 500 cans I just picked-up.  Output level starts at 106db/mw and as they are only 23 ohms, they reach unparallelled levels of loud powered by the Alpen which can output close to max power into that impedance; yet all remains articulate and clear.  And bass is even more controlled than my Focals if not quite as flat and head shaking to the lowest octaves (it's in the presence range where these Yamahas really diverge from the Focals).  Great cans and great match to the Alpen.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #5,602 of 6,777
Quote:
Been quite a long time, still no firmware update for the E17?

There was never one. There was an ASIO update

The E17 imo doesn't really need a firmware update. It is what it is. Some may not like pressing a button twice and other things, but thats the design.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,603 of 6,777
The screen should be automatically turned off. Not only it drains the battery for the sake of it but also is kind of distracting when fitted on top of a e9/e09k.

(yep, created an account just for this)

edit: now that I'm on this, it'd be nice having an updated version of the a1, lets say a a10k, that outputs more power.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #5,604 of 6,777
Quote:
The screen should be automatically turned off. Not only it drains the battery for the sake of it but also is kind of distracting when fitted on top of a e9/e09k.

(yep, created an account just for this)

edit: now that I'm on this, it'd be nice having an updated version of the a1, lets say a a10k, that outputs more power.

Welcome avens!

beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #5,607 of 6,777
Quote:
I think it looks pretty cool, but Fiio doesn't give me a nice experience at the past for driving DT880 (i know this is crazy lol..)...

E17 does a decent job of driving the DT880/600 Ohm cans I own.
But don't expect to listen at high SPLs with high dynamic range recordings and NOT get clipping.
The E17 does not output enough voltage.
For insurance I normally use my DT880/600 with the E17 + E09K.   I know, not too portable!

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #5,609 of 6,777
Quote:
I have had it since Christmas, and it gets used every day.  I baby it though.  It doesn't really get out much.

I've got a dude I know that first won't let anyone touch his HE500's, bought aftermarket cables(for looks), and then one of those Omega headphone stands. No finger prints or anything on those headphones too, I think he cleans it daily or after every use? Well and then he took some glass/acrylic(forgot) and built a fricking caged dome around his entire headphone stand and setup with holes on the bottom so that the cables can be connected to source.

I was like 
basshead.gif

He has changed my definition of audio babying since I saw pics of it.
Pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/64665#post_9255901

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #5,610 of 6,777
Quote:
I've got a dude I know that first won't let anyone touch his HE500's, bought aftermarket cables(for looks), and then one of those Omega headphone stands. No finger prints or anything on those headphones too, I think he cleans it daily or after every use? Well and then he took some glass/acrylic(forgot) and built a fricking caged dome around his entire headphone stand and setup with holes on the bottom so that the cables can be connected to source.

I was like 
basshead.gif

He has changed my definition of audio babying since I saw pics of it.
Pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/64665#post_9255901

Sounds like he needs to get a grip!
Like, chill out, dude!   
LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back