FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5,581 of 6,777
Quote:

So do you think I could modify a USB cable by removing pin 1 (power) from one end? Or would that not work?

I don't have an iPad or CCK so I can't say for sure but in theory it should. I would just give it a try as USB cables are cheap and plentiful.
If it doesn't then just ask Frankie007 how he set his up.

Good Luck!
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #5,584 of 6,777
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/3495#post_8399026
I followed this post that was on here earlier. The only things i had to get was the gearhead usb hub and the startech cable I got them both from Amazon for about 10 bucks everything else I already had o and i added an usb extension to have more mobility. Also depending on your headphones you may not need a separate amp unless you have harder to drive headphones.

Edit: and the external battery is different too it's one I've had for a while it's a new trent model 12000mwh i think but any decent one would do

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #5,585 of 6,777
Also does anyone know if the iPad 3 DAC is any good? Am I going to get much better sound quality using the E17 as a DAC and an amp than I would if I was using the iPad DAC and E17 amp?

What 'phones are you using?
I like the sound I get out of my iPad 1 and ATH ESW-10 Jpn.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #5,587 of 6,777
After doing lots of research, I've finally decided to go with some Beyer DT990 Pros :)

They are excellent phones.
I would go with 250 Ohms or less.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #5,589 of 6,777
Quote:

I think the PRO model only comes in 250ohm but I probably would have gone for that one anyway. They will be my first audiophile headphones, can't wait :wink:

I find it impossible to keep up with the differences between the various models of DT770/880/990!
redface.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #5,590 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks that's what I'm thinking too something to do with my MacBook its 7 years old and it's been through hell the battery only last for like 2 hours the middle row on the keyboard doesn't work she's a trooper.

Hello Frankie,

While everything is plugged in, have you tried doing a spotlight search on your mac for "Audio Midi Setup," opening that utility and then choosing and adjusting your source and format appropriately?

Adam

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #5,591 of 6,777
Hello Frankie,

While everything is plugged in, have you tried doing a spotlight search on your mac for "Audio Midi Setup," opening that utility and then choosing and adjusting your source and format appropriately?

Adam
Thanks for the reply, I actually went ahead and reformatted my hard drive and did a fresh install of OS X from scratch and that fixed the problem. Last time I only did an upgrade so something was messing with the sound settings. Now I'm getting the exact sound signature as from my PC.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #5,593 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I actually went ahead and reformatted my hard drive and did a fresh install of OS X from scratch and that fixed the problem. Last time I only did an upgrade so something was messing with the sound settings. Now I'm getting the exact sound signature as from my PC.

Always good to hear about 'older' Macs doing the job! (and good tip re: reformatting)  I too had that same Macbook ... and still use as a digital source in my 2-channel setup, an iBook G4 (2003) - works great! (is just new enough to Share Libraries/files wirelessly with my MBP 
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Though it just did occur to me, since the discussion was the Audio/Midi Setup, I'm not sure I've tried "Hi-Res" (HD Tracks 24/96 files, etc.) music on the iBook 
confused_face_2.gif
 ... cannot remember. (that is a very small part of my collection)

beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #5,594 of 6,777
Always good to hear about 'older' Macs doing the job! (and good tip re: reformatting)  I too had that same Macbook ... and still use as a digital source in my 2-channel setup, an iBook G4 (2003) - works great! (is just new enough to Share Libraries/files wirelessly with my MBP :bigsmile_face: )

Though it just did occur to me, since the discussion was the Audio/Midi Setup, I'm not sure I've tried "Hi-Res" (HD Tracks 24/96 files, etc.) music on the iBook :confused_face_2:  ... cannot remember. (that is a very small part of my collection)

:beerchug:

Yeah she's a trooper I've had it since October 2006 and she's been through hell. Just last year I switched from my original hdd to an ssd and upgraded my ram and she runs great (for what I use her which is just browsing and listening to music on occasion watching sd videos) for everything else I have my hexacore desktop:)

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #5,595 of 6,777
We'll have to hijack this thread into the "Old Mac's still doing the Job!" thread. 
biggrin.gif

Here is the C2D Optical Out > E17 > DT880 Pro's (The Colorfly C3 is just strapped in on the bottom for the ride.)

beerchug.gif
 To Old Mac's still doing the Job! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back