FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #5,566 of 6,777
Quote:
Hey everyone, fresh owner of E17 here.

So I've been playing around with it. Started with AUX from my MP3 player (creative zen x-fi style) to check on double amping, and it provided what I hoped for - boosting volume and bass for Soundmagic PL50 without hiss or anything.
After that I tried optical connection with PS3 and HD555s. Been playing music for about an hour with Linear PCM 44.1 - 176.4 kHz enabled in sound settings and I was impressed. THEN I found a column in music settings called "output frequency" and it was set to 48kHz. So I changed it to 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz. Then I played a 44.1kHz 320kbps song on HD555s and that moment I heard really unpleasant uneven crackling sound so I unplugged them immediately. E17 was displaying 192K 24bit.

Have I managed to screw something up?

Probably not.

Play some music and use it for a day. 

I doubt changing the sampling will actually fry anything if it can at all. Probably an incompatability between something sent.

Play some music for a day and try it out. But yeah, doubt anything happened.

"Welcome to Head-Fi!Sorry about your wallet"

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #5,567 of 6,777
Thanks.
School, as where it was at, will not force the idiot to pay for it.
He walks around now, so smug, thinking he's untouchable because he doesn't have to cough up.
I do know how to solder, thing is, I'd need an iron. And if I stuff it up... Well.. Broken Broken AUX jack indeed. :triportsad:

With any luck he will have a bright promising future in a prison farm, say 5-10 years.
People like that disgust me.:mad:

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #5,568 of 6,777
Ok guys so I e been reading this thread for like 4 hours straight trying to see if anyone has had the same issue I have. I got my e17 in last week and used it primarily with my desktop using USB and tried a coax today. I don't really noticed a difference going from 44khz to 96khz. Today I decided to hook it up to my MacBook and that's when it all started. Sound is greatly affected by switching from 32khz to 44 to 48 and to 96. Going from 32 to 44 and then to 48 seems to widen the sound stage and there's more of a sparkle now this is where things get interesting, when I switch to 96khz the sound is muffled there's no sparkle, it sounds like if you put your hand In front of a speaker. I tried everything I could think of I even switch to the optical out from my MB thinking maybe it had something to do with the USB port, same result. Everything is up to date on the Mac. It is an older Mac one of the white ones from 2007. Any ideas what could be causing this. Thanks guys I'm a bit confused by this.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #5,569 of 6,777
Quote:
Ok guys so I e been reading this thread for like 4 hours straight trying to see if anyone has had the same issue I have. I got my e17 in last week and used it primarily with my desktop using USB and tried a coax today. I don't really noticed a difference going from 44khz to 96khz. Today I decided to hook it up to my MacBook and that's when it all started. Sound is greatly affected by switching from 32khz to 44 to 48 and to 96. Going from 32 to 44 and then to 48 seems to widen the sound stage and there's more of a sparkle no this is where things get interesting when switch to 96khz the sound is muffled there's no sparkle sounds like if you put your hand In front of a speaker. I tried everything g I could even switch to the optical out from my MB thinking maybe it had something to do with the USB port. Everything is up to date on the Mac. It is an older Mac one of the white ones from 2007. Any ideas what could be causing this. Thanks guys I'm a bit confused by this.

Don't do 32. 44.1 and above. 

The difference usually isn't as large as what you are saying if not even harder to tell

have a friend/family run a blind A/B as they change it and ask you what you think it is. Getting 50% right is not good btw. 

Anyway, some do have a gold coin for doing that stuff so see if you do. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #5,570 of 6,777
Don't do 32. 44.1 and above. 

The difference usually isn't as large as what you are saying if not even harder to tell

have a friend/family run a blind A/B as they change it and ask you what you think it is. Getting 50% right is not good btw. 

Anyway, some do have a gold coin for doing that stuff so see if you do. 

I know and that's what I'm trying to say on my pc the changes aren't very noticeable but on my MacBook they are very noticeable and jumping to 96khz from 48khz makes the sound worse

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #5,571 of 6,777
Ok guys so I've been up since like 7am( it's almost 1 now) listening to the e17 with various sources and comparing. I've compared my PC to my MacBook and what I was hearing last night is till true jumping from 38khz to 44khz to 48khz changes the sound dramatically on my MacBook and then going to 96khz just makes things really bad the sound is muffled. Now compare this to my PC and the sound is so different between the two with similar options. I ran the e17 from both my Mac and my pc through USB and optical and the results are all the same. From the MacBook at 48khz the soundstage is so wide and there's such a sparkle in the highs. The pc has great clarity but with a smaller soundstage. I did this comparison using the same track playing in sync from Mac and PC once going from USB from Mac and optical from PC and vise versa using the same 48khz setting on both switching between USB and optical on the e17. I went as far as to do a clean install of OS X on my Mac thinking that maybe an application was altering the sound and nope same results. Any ideas???
Oh I also compared my iPods on the e17 iPod touch 2nd gen, iPod video 5.5 gen and 7th gen classic and of the three I prefer the touch did this very briefly while OS was installing on my Mac.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #5,572 of 6,777
Quote:
Hello Fiio.
My AUX jack on my e17 is completely destroyed.
What has happened is some idiot thought it'd be funny to smash my shorts on the concrete ground with my e17 in them, still connected to my AUX jack. He will not accept responsibility, or pay up. The jack has been rammed into the AUX connector, basically like ramming a screwdriver into the AUX port.

Is there anywhere I can get a repair? I'm a Fiio fan, but $130 for something I already have is costly.
tongue.gif

The amp only works now through DAC.

Go to the police or beat the crap out of him...

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #5,573 of 6,777
Quote:
Ok guys so I've been up since like 7am( it's almost 1 now) listening to the e17 with various sources and comparing. I've compared my PC to my MacBook and what I was hearing last night is till true jumping from 38khz to 44khz to 48khz changes the sound dramatically on my MacBook and then going to 96khz just makes things really bad the sound is muffled. Now compare this to my PC and the sound is so different between the two with similar options. I ran the e17 from both my Mac and my pc through USB and optical and the results are all the same. From the MacBook at 48khz the soundstage is so wide and there's such a sparkle in the highs. The pc has great clarity but with a smaller soundstage. I did this comparison using the same track playing in sync from Mac and PC once going from USB from Mac and optical from PC and vise versa using the same 48khz setting on both switching between USB and optical on the e17. I went as far as to do a clean install of OS X on my Mac thinking that maybe an application was altering the sound and nope same results. Any ideas???
Oh I also compared my iPods on the e17 iPod touch 2nd gen, iPod video 5.5 gen and 7th gen classic and of the three I prefer the touch did this very briefly while OS was installing on my Mac.

Have you checked whenever your pcs/mac can actually handle those qualities?
If you are using on board audio, its probably the 96khz on the mac simply aint supported or its not good quality?

Not really sure here, but it does seem like your mac is the one with the trouble here.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #5,574 of 6,777
Have you checked whenever your pcs/mac can actually handle those qualities?
If you are using on board audio, its probably the 96khz on the mac simply aint supported or its not good quality?

Not really sure here, but it does seem like your mac is the one with the trouble here.
Thanks that's what I'm thinking too something to do with my MacBook its 7 years old and it's been through hell the battery only last for like 2 hours the middle row on the keyboard doesn't work she's a trooper.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #5,575 of 6,777
Hi

I have a question about using the iPad 3 with the E17. I was reading through this thread and saw some earlier posts saying that they used the iPad 3 like this:

iPad --> Matrix USB to Digital Coaxial Converter --> Fiio E17 --> Headphones

I don't understand why the converter is necessary. Aren't you just converting one type of digital signal to another? Couldn't I just get an iPad to mini-USB adaptor and connect it that way. Does the USB-DCC have advantages?

Any help is appreciated. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5,576 of 6,777
I think the problem is that the Fiio draws too much Power over USB, so the CCK refuses it.
But I also heard that you could use a battery powered USB hub or in General a usb hub, to prevent this.
So the USB to toslink Adapter would not draw too much Power and delivers a digital signal to the Fiio.
Hope you know what I mean!:)

gesendet von meinem Sony Xperia S mit P.A.C. Rom 19.3.2 + Nova Kernel OC07

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #5,577 of 6,777
Quote:
I think the problem is that the Fiio draws too much Power over USB, so the CCK refuses it.
But I also heard that you could use a battery powered USB hub or in General a usb hub, to prevent this.
So the USB to toslink Adapter would not draw too much Power and delivers a digital signal to the Fiio.
Hope you know what I mean!
smily_headphones1.gif

gesendet von meinem Sony Xperia S mit P.A.C. Rom 19.3.2 + Nova Kernel OC07

Ah ok thanks for the reply. Seems strange though because the Fiio has it's own power source. Would there be any difference in sound quality between the USB Hub method and the USC to DCC method?

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #5,578 of 6,777
Seems to only need a little cable magic...

Quote:

Ah ok thanks for the reply. Seems strange though because the Fiio has it's own power source. Would there be any difference in sound quality between the USB Hub method and the USC to DCC method?

From earlier in this thread...

Just one clarification (that I mentioned earlier): a lot of the current cables that have dual type A USB connectors still won't work. This is because BOTH type A connectors have power connections. To use the E17 as a USB DAC with an iPad requires that only the USB data lines go from the iPad + CCK to the E17. The power connections should not go to the iPad + CCK (actually you could connect the GND wire in all connectors), but for it to work, no power from the iPad + CCK should flow to the E17 - it needs to be a completely isolated power feed. I've already tried a number of those old dual Type A cables and they do not work for this application.

So it appears to only need data and a ground...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back