FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #4,802 of 6,777
They use Cirrus Logics that sound good actually. Very warm, but smooth. Also has about 90mW at 32 ohms so has some power. I am fine with them actually. Apple is known to use good Dac. Their phones and ipods do as well. Not magnificent but as in a dac and amp thatcomes standard. It is the only brand that has a good dac and amp thatcomes standard on all their devices from a major brand

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #4,803 of 6,777
if i use this with my laptop, does it stay charged thru USB, or is that just for audio, and it runs off the battery whether mobile or plugged in via USB?

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #4,804 of 6,777
It will always run off of the battery. There is an option to charge or not to charge when plugged into usb, so that you can still cycle the battery if you use it as a USB DAC often.

I see you live in Poughkeepsie, I'm in the Hyde Park/Pleasant Valley area. So howdy neighbor!
Quote:
if i use this with my laptop, does it stay charged thru USB, or is that just for audio, and it runs off the battery whether mobile or plugged in via USB?

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #4,807 of 6,777
Hey guys,

So I know the E17 is more than enough for my Grado SR80i's, but does anyone have experience driving RS1i's with the E17? Probably save myself around $100 since it includes a DAC, along with it being an all-in-one unit, which is always attractive, over buying an Asgard and separate DAC.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #4,808 of 6,777
I'm thinking about getting a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G to pair with my E17. Main reason is to be able to drive 2 pairs of headphones simultaneously otg, second reason is I'm a basshead and I sometimes feel like I would like an even bigger boost than the E17 provides (yes I know it's ridiculous, but I want what I want :) ). Anyone got any experience with this combo? Is there a more preferable way to go?

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #4,809 of 6,777
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G to pair with my E17. Main reason is to be able to drive 2 pairs of headphones simultaneously otg, second reason is I'm a basshead and I sometimes feel like I would like an even bigger boost than the E17 provides (yes I know it's ridiculous, but I want what I want :) ). Anyone got any experience with this combo? Is there a more preferable way to go?

i suggest you to go for alo rx mk3 then ,the bass knob will satisfy your addiction to bass
basshead.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #4,810 of 6,777
Quote:
i suggest you to go for alo rx mk3 then ,the bass knob will satisfy your addiction to bass
basshead.gif

The design and other specs of the mk3 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I have read however that the overall bass boost even if you turn the knob on the mk3 to max is much much less than that of the E17 alone.

edit: when I take a closer look on the features tab on their website I can see that the maximum boost sub 100hz is about 3db, wich will not suffice :frowning2: I really wish they made a version with a boost up to like 9db! I'd buy it in a heartbeat! http://www.aloaudio.com/rx-mk3

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #4,811 of 6,777
Hey guys,

So I know the E17 is more than enough for my Grado SR80i's, but does anyone have experience driving RS1i's with the E17? Probably save myself around $100 since it includes a DAC, along with it being an all-in-one unit, which is always attractive, over buying an Asgard and separate DAC.

I don't own any Grados, but I've spent enough time listening to them to get a good feel of the flavour of Grados, if ya know what I mean?

The E17 certainly has enough power, however, the RS-1i really will benefit from a better amp and DAC. Don't get me wrong, one wayto look at this is to use the E17 until you can get a few more $$$ for a better amp and DAC. I certainly don't think the E17 and RS-1i will sound bad together, I just think the RS-1i has the potential to sound better.
I would think it is a combo you could live with for a year or two and would definitely sound better than using the SR-80i's.
I have you tried the RS-2i?

Anyone have any thoughts on what the E09K brings to the table with the RS-1i?

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #4,812 of 6,777
Probably not a good combo due to the high output impedance of the E09K not meant for anything less than 80ohms, and also the fact that the E09K/E9 don't smoothen the treble range, so if the RS1 is harsh, they will stay harsh.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,814 of 6,777
Quote:
Would it be possible to run a seperate amp from the E09K while the E17 is plugged in? I just want to use the E17 as a DAC plugged into an E09K and not separate. 

Yes there is a line out option on the E90K. But you can also get the L7 for the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back