FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4,816 of 6,777
Quote:
So hooking up say a Valhalla to the E09K is ok? I don't want to destroy or damage anything. I know about the L7, I just want to leave the E17 in the E09K to charge.

Going through more circuitry than you need to is not typically recommended.

It should be fine. We do have to worry about what the power the E90K output is and what the maximum the Valhalla can receive but it is usually not enough to do any damage. When you have an input signal higher than the amp can handle, you just get distortion. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #4,817 of 6,777
I wouldn't worry so much about the E09K's line out. Used it with my SA-31 and it sounded great.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4,819 of 6,777
Line out is untouched, meaning nothing you do on the E09k will affect the line out. Pre-out however is affected, and both gain and volume affect whatever is attached.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4,821 of 6,777
Quote:
So hooking up say a Valhalla to the E09K is ok? I don't want to destroy or damage anything. I know about the L7, I just want to leave the E17 in the E09K to charge.

For what it's worth, I run a E17 < a Valhalla -- not once felt I was going to overdrive the "2nd amp". I put the gain on +0 dB, volume on the FiiO at max usually, or near it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #4,822 of 6,777
Probably not a good combo due to the high output impedance of the E09K not meant for anything less than 80ohms, and also the fact that the E09K/E9 don't smoothen the treble range, so if the RS1 is harsh, they will stay harsh.

Doesn't sound right, the E09K will drive 16 Ohm headphones. Got that from the spec sheet.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #4,823 of 6,777
Uhh... yes, it will. However, the E09K has an output impedance of 10ohm. That is too high for low ohm headphones which adds distortion and alters sound signature negatively. The E9/E09K are technically a mismatch for anything less than 80ohms. In real world practice, I personally haven't noticed bad effects when I paired the E9 and E09K to low ohm headphones ranging from 32 to 62ohms, but it's certainly possible.

Reference as to what I'm talking about.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #4,825 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi,

I was wondering if the E17 is shielded against electromagnetic rays? I would use it as an Amplifier for my Nexus 4 without having any interferance noice everytime my phone is ringing.

Thank you,
Kornasteniker

I use mine strapped to my Nokia N9 all the time and I do not experience any interference due to wireless traffic. However, when the phone rings, you answer, right? Therefor it should not be a problem even if you got interference due to an incoming call :)

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #4,826 of 6,777
I sometimes use mine with a cdma iPhone 4. I have not experienced any noise at all. The little E5 is noisy as hell used with a phone, but no issues with the E17.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #4,827 of 6,777
Heck, mine is sitting within 3 inches,  of all things, a lamp rheostat. Not a speck of noise.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,828 of 6,777
Just got an E17 today.
Eager to try so I bought an USB OTG cable, connect it with my JellyBean-running HTC OneX.
Power on and... bingo! Great sound coming from the E17.
Playing FLAC files with Google music player (stock player don't play FLAC), screen on.
The OneX can even charge it (make the phone hot, though), and drain the battery fast (~1300mA, lol)

Still playing it with different input / devices, finger crossed :wink:

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #4,829 of 6,777
Quote:
Just got an E17 today.
Eager to try so I bought an USB OTG cable, connect it with my JellyBean-running HTC OneX.
Power on and... bingo! Great sound coming from the E17.
Playing FLAC files with Google music player (stock player don't play FLAC), screen on.
The OneX can even charge it (make the phone hot, though), and drain the battery fast (~1300mA, lol)

Still playing it with different input / devices, finger crossed :wink:

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

Great to hear that the E17 works with the Jelly Bean running HTC OneX. Are you using Cyanogen? Or does it work natively out?

Lucky that you can use the DAC of the E17 with you.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #4,830 of 6,777
Quote:

Think you might be getting a little confused - so I'll see if I can simplify it a bit.  From your previous posts + what I've read about the D3 & E17 ......

• D3 - you have two options for audio output :
     * headphone (analogue) out - using the D3 dac and amp
     * spdif (digital) out - using D3 as transport interface only - so bypassing both amp and dac.

• E17 - you have four options for audio output:- depending on input option chosen
     * headphone out using E17 as amp only, if fed analogue signal from line-in (most common if used as portable)
     * headphone out using E17 as both amp and dac, if fed digital signal (either via spdif or usb)
     * analogue line level out via L7 cable - so you're using the E17 as a dac, and outputting a  line-level signal - eg to a better amp.
     * analogue line level out to E9 (by connecting via dock to L9 amp) - using E17's dac and E9's amp

Now as to your question regarding the iPod etc - unless you have a proprietory cable which is taking a digital signal from the iPod (think HP-P1 or CLAS set-up), then using a standard LOD from the iPod you're only extracting a line-level analogue signal from the iPod and using the E17 amp only (using the iPod dac).  Conversely, if you were using the iPod headphone out, you're using both the iPod dac and amp, then feeding that to the E17 (double amping).  Either way, the L7 has no real use, as you're not actually using the E17 dac.

I noticed above that you also seem to be a little confused wrt using the D3 and E17.  You mentioned:
D3 ---> optical/coax digital/spdif/cable/adapter ---> Spdif In (E17) --->  L7 LOD --> headphones....

There's no real point in that set-up for two reasons:
[a] You'd be using the D3 as a digital source only - which kind of defeats having the D3.  it would be different if it had huge capacity.  Suppose it's a different story if you don't like the DAC on the D3 and prefer the one on the E17 though.
Going D3 -> digital signal -> E17 -> line level analogue signal via L7 -> headphones ...... means you'd be left with a line-level signal, you really want an amplifier in the chain somewhere.  The whole point of the L7 is to bypass the E17 amp, using it's dac only, and then go to a better amp.

An example of using an E17 + L7 set-up would be:
PC or laptop via either USB or SPDIF to E17 to L7 to tube amp.  So you take a digital signal from your source (PC), use the DAC on the E17 to decode to analogue, and then send that signal at line level to your preferred amp.

Hope that helps.

thank you, very informative post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back