FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #4,666 of 6,777
Has anyone used this with the Matrix m-stage? If so please drop your impression :) much appreciated

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #4,667 of 6,777
Mine E17 headphone jack started to fail. The sound on the right channel is often lost or i hear crackling until i try to move/turn/push headphone plug. What should i do? I am disappointed because i have E17 only a few months.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #4,668 of 6,777
I've been following this thread for a very long time and now that i think of it, i dont remember anyone posting anything about using the E17 as a source only. In other words plugging in an external amp using the fiio L7 for a line out. I'd like to know how the dac section compares to some dedicated dacs out there, like the Odac.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #4,669 of 6,777
@unknwn
As you have had it for a few months, local warranty is probably not gonna do. Are you able to diy?
There is a one year warranty (limited), but fiio has said that they will send jacks if you know how to diy solder
@beaver
You must have missed those posts then. Only problem is that most that I heard that did that ONLY had the E17 and no other dac

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #4,670 of 6,777
Has anyone used this with the Matrix m-stage? If so please drop your impression :) much appreciated

Yes, I have.
I'll have more time tonight to answer your question, but the short answer is, it sounds a bit dark thru the M Stage.
By no means does it sound terrible, it just doesn't sound great.
To put it another way, the M Stage sounds better with a better DAC.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #4,671 of 6,777
Quote:
I've been following this thread for a very long time and now that i think of it, i dont remember anyone posting anything about using the E17 as a source only. In other words plugging in an external amp using the fiio L7 for a line out. I'd like to know how the dac section compares to some dedicated dacs out there, like the Odac.

I have this combo : E17 as dac only + L7 + Schiit Asgard but I can't only compare to my onboard soundcard ( not a bad one : HD Intel audio ) and I'm quite new in audiophile world :wink:

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #4,672 of 6,777
@unknwn
Read this and look at my pics in the last page. That should hopefully fix your problem. It sounds like the problem you're having was the same as mine. 

I have a Receiver that does 24/192 and I have an L7 for my E17. Both of the DAC's have the same sound quality, but my receiver has a better amp in it. Most of my music has a sample rate of 44.1/48k and a 16 bit rate, so I shouldn't expect anything fantastic. Amp-wise, my receiver has more control and doesn't sound as muddy as the E17.  

Edit: I thought I would just add that the line out using the e17's dac only has an unchangeable 6dB gain going out of it. When you switch the lo switch so that the amp section of the e17 is included, you have to change the gain to 6db to get it to sound as loud. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #4,677 of 6,777
Quote:

I have the same problem occasionallly where it won't turn on. The solution for that is to plug the USB cable in and when the red light comes on just turn it on and unplug.

Hm... this was a old post, but I'm having issues with the E17 -> i'm guessing it's due to power issues / faulty battery.

Preface: I've previously charged the E17 (once) via a USB charger that I have for another amp. Charged it to full. After a week's worth of use and barely any USB charging, the device powers down and dies. The problem arises in that I cannot get it to charge again and or turn on.

a) I tried charging with the original charger I used (the first one), and I got a red flashing light. Google search tells me red flashing light means no charge.
b) I swapped to an apple charger, got a super super dim light. Won't turn on with apple's USB wall plug while charging (which I thought was weird, as the device should turn on with a power supply no?). Left over night.
c) Overnight charge, device powers on when it wants to (troubles turning it on, not sure why) with a power button press. When it turns on, showed me 2 battery bars from an over night charge. Brought it out on a studying day, 6 hours of use. Wasn't charging via USB on the computer even though "charging via USB" was turned to ON.
d) Switched chargers to Nokia cellphone charger (swappable USB cable) to see if it'll charge better with a different charger. No light appears. Swapped to apple charger, still no light. Left overnight via Nokia cellphone charger (wall plug). I noticed the device heats up with the apple charger and nokia charger, therefore the device should be charging even without the charging red light.
e) Today, the device wasn't turning on, at all. Tried plugging into my computer via USB, no charge. Other chargers weren't powering it on either, just generating heat as if it was charging. Tried the original charger I had used the first time. Flashing red light, after a few moments, the flashing red light turns red for charging. 30 minutes later, light dies out. Device turns on via the first charger, two battery bars (odd). Figuring it works and turns on spontaneously, I bring it out with me. Doesn't turn on. Computer USB doesn't turn it on either. No heat generated via USB cable.

I'm thinking its a faulty battery. I have to take it apart and check. But question is,

1) Any stats on the battery so far? I'm thinking I can find a replacement battery (i'm in china for the moment) as long as I have some stats on it.
2) Aside from the reset button (tried and tried already), am I missing something in my diagnostics here?
3) Is there a way to hard reset this thing aside from the reset button? I fear my last resort is to take it apart and Frankenstein it. 

I will contact Fiio via phone call tomorrow to see if I can ship it out and get a replacement (its not their business hours atm). Sucks to have this break down 10 days in. I bought this in HK while I was there, and I'm not going back there for a while, so my only option is to go through Fiio. Anyone else have this issue?

P.S. I honestly tried searching the forum and google for answers, but this seemed like the best place to go, and 50 pages of reading wasn't getting anywhere, so I thought I'd post my question, even with the high possibility of this being a repeat question. Thanks in advance

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #4,678 of 6,777
Seem like a battery issue. Definitely contact FiiO first and see if they can resolve the problem for you. At worst, you can get more info on what replacement battery to get (but you will need to know how to solder in order to replace the battery inside).

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #4,680 of 6,777
Quote:

I think the best answer I can give you is that my iBasso D12 sounds a bit better thru the M Stage than the E17.

The iBasso just seems to add a bit more life, sounds a bit clearer, adds more space, better dynamics.

probably not a fair comparison, the iBasso has an Aux out, with the E17 I have to use the headphone jack to drive the input of the Matrix.
and the iBasso costs twice as much.

Edit:  the iBasso seems to have a bit less grunge, transients seems to have a bit more snap to them.
Bottom line is, the E17 is a fine little device for the $$$ but you can always get a better DAC for the Matrix in the future. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back