FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #4,651 of 6,777
Quote:
I've owned an e17 since April, 2012. 

It's been about 6 months, up to this point it was working fine; now I've got issue with the sound cutting in the left and right channels.
I'm suspecting it is the headphone jack. And it appears the LED screen has burn in.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Not much you can do about the burn-in. It's gotta still be in warranty right? You might be able to send it to Fiio for a replacement.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #4,654 of 6,777
I always use the screen lock. I've forgotten for an hour or so before but it's not a huge deal.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #4,655 of 6,777
Will attempting these repairs void the warranty?
I'm concerned that a tape fix will only serve as a temporary remedy.

Or is it better to just send it in anyway. Since it is still under warranty wouldn't it be best for them to sort it out? 

In which case, has anyone had experience dealing with Fiio?

Do they tend to just replace it? or does it take forever to get it back from repairs?

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #4,656 of 6,777
I have had it rigged up like that for over 5 months and it still works great. It's a permanent reversible fix if the problem you are having was the same as mine. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #4,657 of 6,777
Anyone know which email I'm suppose to email Fiio for in North America?

I haven't gotten a response from there email listed on there website.

Think I'll get it send in first before I think about attempting the tape fix. I don't wish to mess it up. I've got butterfingers when it comes to these sort of things.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4,659 of 6,777

I emailed MP4Nation and the FiiO marketing team when I had my problem, and they said that it would take about a month for them to fix my unit and return it. I said screw that and improvised 
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #4,660 of 6,777
Quote:
Hey guys!

Two questions:

(I) Is the E17 powerful enough to supply a 600 Ω DT 880 ?

(II) Can you replace the build in battery ?

Thanks

Sorry about the long delay, I don't check this thread very often...............

I have an E17 and a pair of 600 Ohm DT880s.
I'm listening to this combo right now.
This really doesn't sound too bad!
In a perfect world, the DT880s really deserve a better amp, but I can live with it!
Strangely enough, the bass could be tighter.

Quote:
@bowei006
sorry for my mistake, but it is always true that the E17 can't efficiently drive a 600Ω headphone, has several difficulties with medium impedance headphones like the Senn HD650 (250Ω); he is not the first to ask this simple question, and I'm not the first to do this simple answer, dont need any direct experience.

Quote:
One should also note that VERY high. Very very high impendence ones are generally "easier" to drive.

High impedances are only easy to drive because they don't draw much current, which is great for an E17
OTOH
High impedance are hard to drive because they require more voltage, seems the E17 outputs just enough voltage for a 600 Ohm DT880, assuming you are not trying to blow your eardrums out.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4,661 of 6,777
Awesome pics Trae.
A Month? damn. You're really tempting me to preform the quick fix. I'll see what Fiio says, if it's really that bad I might just go ahead and attempt your fix. . I was trying to imagine your description.The pics are super helpful

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #4,662 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi Folks,
just bought the E17 with the E09K. Sounds great, but the firmware drives me crazy.
I'm feeding in an optical SPDIF signal from my Sonos ZP80 Player.
When docked, the E17 will allways switch to USB mode when the E09 is swiched on, no matter what input had been selected before. I understand that's by design, but nevertheless annoying. Please Fiio, make that behaviour configurable in the Firmware.
What's worse, after re-selecting the optical SPDIF, the E17 will often not lock onto the datastream again, so I have to remove the E17 from the dock, cycle through the Inputs again, re-dock it, then re-select the optical Input, and only then it will lock the signal and I will get sound. The problem happens 8 out of 10 times I switch on the E09.
Anyone else seen this behaviour?
Greetings from Munich,
Uwe

Did anyone else have this problem?  Did you try contacting Fiio?  I have the e09k and e17 combo coming soon and I want to use SPDIF too.  So i'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or managed to fix it?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,663 of 6,777

Quote: Originally Posted by uweinside 

Hi Folks,
just bought the E17 with the E09K. Sounds great, but the firmware drives me crazy.
I'm feeding in an optical SPDIF signal from my Sonos ZP80 Player.
When docked, the E17 will allways switch to USB mode when the E09 is swiched on, no matter what input had been selected before. I understand that's by design, but nevertheless annoying. Please Fiio, make that behaviour configurable in the Firmware.
What's worse, after re-selecting the optical SPDIF, the E17 will often not lock onto the datastream again, so I have to remove the E17 from the dock, cycle through the Inputs again, re-dock it, then re-select the optical Input, and only then it will lock the signal and I will get sound. The problem happens 8 out of 10 times I switch on the E09.
Anyone else seen this behaviour?
Greetings from Munich,
Uwe

Quote:

Did anyone else have this problem?  Did you try contacting Fiio?  I have the e09k and e17 combo coming soon and I want to use SPDIF too.  So i'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or managed to fix it?

Hi there fellow E17 users:

I don't use my E17 docked to either the E9 or E09k, however I do use it with SPDIF/TOSLINK (aka optical), and often with the L7 Line Out Dock, and when using the L7 run into the "default to USB Mode" plus "must then switch back to OPT input mode" issue. I think I will contact FiiO to ask them if they can release a firmware patch to route around this incorrect mode detection.

I know I'm not exactly in your particular use case (due to the dock being different), however since I AM using a DIFFERENT DOCK still, and encountering the same "mode detection" "errors" while in OPT(ical) mode [defaulting to USB (mode) when expected behavior is that the E17 should detect and remain in OPT(ical) mode] I thought you'd appreciate it If I piped up and put in my two cents and user experience with the near exact same issue.

My "fix" / "workaround" is just to always remember to, upon using the E17 with the L7 LOD, upon powering up, or insertion of L7 LOD WHILE E17 is already powered up (either will cause the OPT mode to switch to USB mode) manually cycle the mode key toggle until OPT is selected again to register the OPT mode for SPDIF/TOSLINK optical datastream.

My objection: With everything else that this device gets right by virture of brain dead, bang on, tool-like (rather than "utility chest 'gotta think about it to use it' mentality) simplicity and entry-level-user ease-of-use; this is the ONE GLARING boo boo. At least, in my eyes.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #4,664 of 6,777
I'm running Mountain Lion on a Mac Pro. I have no problems getting 48/16 audio with the E17. When I open Audio MIDI Setup, I can switch the format to 96/16, causing the E17 to show it's locked in at 96/24. If I then try changing to 96/24 in Audio Midi setup, all sound to the device suddenly stops. The attempt logs a message to the kernel:

IOAudioStream<0xffffff8041399800>::setFormat(0x0xffffff817b8bbce8, 0x0xffffff8046163080) - audio engine unable to change format

If I switch back to 96/16, all sound/playback returns. Anybody else run into this? For what it's worth, I can do 96/24 out with all other devices on my system--no problem. Thanks a bunch, and sorry if this is a repeat of something covered earlier in the thread. (I tried searching, but I got back 32 pages of results and the first 6 didn't seem relevant.)

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #4,665 of 6,777
I'm running Mountain Lion on a Mac Pro. I have no problems getting 48/16 audio with the E17. When I open Audio MIDI Setup, I can switch the format to 96/16, causing the E17 to show it's locked in at 96/24. If I then try changing to 96/24 in Audio Midi setup, all sound to the device suddenly stops. The attempt logs a message to the kernel:
IOAudioStream<0xffffff8041399800>::setFormat(0x0xffffff817b8bbce8, 0x0xffffff8046163080) - audio engine unable to change format
If I switch back to 96/16, all sound/playback returns. Anybody else run into this? For what it's worth, I can do 96/24 out with all other devices on my system--no problem. Thanks a bunch, and sorry if this is a repeat of something covered earlier in the thread. (I tried searching, but I got back 32 pages of results and the first 6 didn't seem relevant.)

Ruh roh! I didn't have that problem. Look into BitPerfect or Audirvana Plus... They might help, but not guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back