FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4,621 of 6,777
Quote:
hi all, looking to replace my aging dac/amp, and i'm considering the e17.

in terms of amp section, can the e17's aux in handle 2.2volts?  i like the idea of at least having the option to connect my v-dac II to the e17's headphone amp.

cheers

IF the E17 shares the same amp design and architecture of the E7's, then the maximum input to AUX before it starts clipping is 1.2 Vrms (credit to NAG and his blog for the info about the E7). 

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4,623 of 6,777
thanks guys, yeah, the e17's amp would probably clip why trying to feed it the v-dac's analogue signal.

i'm not sure about whether the v-dac's signal is fixed or variable.  sometimes, specs can be hard to come by, and i'm not the best at inferring such information given the often limited information by manufacturers.  

as to whether or not i want a portable dac/amp as opposed to just an amp, i like the budget dac/amp combo.  i've used a headroom total bithead for years (clips also with the v-dac input).  i'm at the point where i'm interested to try something new.  i'll keep the v-dac for my integrated/speaker setup.  though, portable dac/amp aside, i'm keen to land a desktop amp to connect to my v-dac.

so it wasn't really necessary that the e17 be able to handle the v-dac's voltage.  but the added compatibility would provide some fun experimenting.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #4,628 of 6,777
Quote:
thanks guys, yeah, the e17's amp would probably clip why trying to feed it the v-dac's analogue signal.

i'm not sure about whether the v-dac's signal is fixed or variable.  sometimes, specs can be hard to come by, and i'm not the best at inferring such information given the often limited information by manufacturers.  

as to whether or not i want a portable dac/amp as opposed to just an amp, i like the budget dac/amp combo.  i've used a headroom total bithead for years (clips also with the v-dac input).  i'm at the point where i'm interested to try something new.  i'll keep the v-dac for my integrated/speaker setup.  though, portable dac/amp aside, i'm keen to land a desktop amp to connect to my v-dac.

so it wasn't really necessary that the e17 be able to handle the v-dac's voltage.  but the added compatibility would provide some fun experimenting.

OK, I've PM'ed feiao regarding the max Aux input voltage of the E17, and he said that 2Vrms would not be a problem for the E17.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #4,629 of 6,777
If you have the no how. It is a replaceable battery. After one year or two if mine fails ill call fiio and buy a oem battery off them and then solder it on easy if it was me.

@unkle
He asked power to supply. Not impendence. Using a headphone out of impendence range may lead to some not likeable sonic effects and will generally be that it doesnt have enough power. But without a personal user of those headphones and the e17. One should not assume. Although your guess from research and statistics on 600ohms and the E11 would generally say that it is not. Personal exp is still nice.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4,630 of 6,777
Quote:
If you have the no how. It is a replaceable battery. After one year or two if mine fails ill call fiio and buy a oem battery off them and then solder it on easy if it was me.
@unkle
He asked power to supply. Not impendence. Using a headphone out of impendence range may lead to some not likeable sonic effects and will generally be that it doesnt have enough power. But without a personal user of those headphones and the e17. One should not assume. Although your guess from research and statistics on 600ohms and the E11 would generally say that it is not. Personal exp is still nice.

@bowei006
sorry for my mistake, but it is always true that the E17 can't efficiently drive a 600Ω headphone, has several difficulties with medium impedance headphones like the Senn HD650 (250Ω); he is not the first to ask this simple question, and I'm not the first to do this simple answer, dont need any direct experience.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #4,632 of 6,777
Hi Folks,

just bought the E17 with the E09K. Sounds great, but the firmware drives me crazy.

I'm feeding in an optical SPDIF signal from my Sonos ZP80 Player.

When docked, the E17 will allways switch to USB mode when the E09 is swiched on, no matter what input had been selected before. I understand that's by design, but nevertheless annoying. Please Fiio, make that behaviour configurable in the Firmware.

What's worse, after re-selecting the optical SPDIF, the E17 will often not lock onto the datastream again, so I have to remove the E17 from the dock, cycle through the Inputs again, re-dock it, then re-select the optical Input, and only then it will lock the signal and I will get sound. The problem happens 8 out of 10 times I switch on the E09.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Greetings from Munich,
Uwe

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4,635 of 6,777
Hey guys, im trying something different here (at least for me). Instead of connecting my headphones to my E17 im trying my old pc stereo speakers. It works by simply connecting the 3.5mm jack of the speakers to the E17's headphone input, but since the speakers have their own volume knob this means they have their own amp right? So in this case im double amping? Would it be best to get the Fiio line out dock and connect the speakers through that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back