FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Sep 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #4,546 of 6,777
Quote:
There is none

Can you try with S/PDIF or AUX to see what the problem is?

Or try another PC

it works fine on my laptop thats what baffles me AUX works fine as well ..

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,547 of 6,777
Quote:
it works fine on my laptop thats what baffles me AUX works fine as well ..

Can you explain what you even mean by "it" and "laptop" as in this conversation. "It" generally means the E17 but I'm not sure if you are even talking about the headphone out.

So your headphones works perfectly from laptop headphone and you get sound, and AUX works as well on the E17 and thus the amplification section works well.

Please try USB E17 on another computer.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #4,548 of 6,777
Quote:
Can you explain what you even mean by "it" and "laptop" as in this conversation. "It" generally means the E17 but I'm not sure if you are even talking about the headphone out.

So your headphones works perfectly from laptop headphone and you get sound, and AUX works as well on the E17 and thus the amplification section works well.

Please try USB E17 on another computer.

I tried the USB E17 on my laptop and it worked perfectly there does not seem to be a problem with the e17...i am suspecting the usb drivers on my pc 

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #4,549 of 6,777
I see now. DESKTOP PC. A laptop is a PC too which is why I was confused

It may be playback settings on pc, southbridge drivers or what not. E17 uses class 1 drivers meaning they are self contained but it may have installed unproperly.

I am not recommending a southbridge driver upgrade unless you have no choice left and am not taking responsibility if you botch it up. Motherboard based drivers can mess your pc up if you dont do them right.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #4,550 of 6,777
I have a question about using the E17 and maximizing battery life. I use my E17 exclusively with USB, so connected to my computer at all times. I always have usb charging off, so effectively the E17 is always using it's battery. It runs down to 1 bar, then i charge it full, then leave it run down to 1 bar, repeat. Is this the best way to preserve the battery? Or should i occasionally have usb charging on?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4,551 of 6,777
Quote:
I have a question about using the E17 and maximizing battery life. I use my E17 exclusively with USB, so connected to my computer at all times. I always have usb charging off, so effectively the E17 is always using it's battery. It runs down to 1 bar, then i charge it full, then leave it run down to 1 bar, repeat. Is this the best way to preserve the battery? Or should i occasionally have usb charging on?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/4005#post_8532041

Quote:ME
Correct Panda Battery Procedure:
When the device is in use on Computer, do not use USB charge. Turn it off. When the E17 is on it's final bar of battery, turn USB charge(or the USB cable) on and charge it to full. And then unplug or turn off USB charge and use until you are on your last bar of battery left. When you see the bars reduce to one, it would be best to start charging(sometimes you are out, and you can't, that's understandable, a few times charging from higher up won't hurt). Li-ion batteries like the one's found the in the FiiO E17 Alpen's don't react well to a full cycle of charge and FULLY de charge until the battery is dead. This has been proven to be actually bad to the life of li-ioin batteries. HOWEVER., you should do a full cycle where you fully charge up the device and use it all the way until the device automatically turns off ONCE a month as that has been shown to actually be good for the battery WHETHER you use it constantly or not. Do not fear my friend, even if USB charge is turned off when the device "dies" it will still charge after it runs out of power naturally!

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #4,553 of 6,777
Quote:
So i was fine all along. Thanks for the post almighty panda

Just remember that a full charge and full battery depletion every time is actually BAD. For Li-ion batteries like the kind used in the E17. For unconstant (storage) E17 users, a full cycle every half year should be fine. But for often users, follow normal procedures of charging when it gets to bar 1 from the end or even two or whatever(say you are leaving the house and have 2 bars left but need the power, just charge it, not a big deal). And for those that use it very often 24/7. A cycle from full battery and then running it until it's dead is recommended every 1-2 months.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4,554 of 6,777
Got my shiny new Fiio E17 today, has improvs the sound from my IE80's. Now looking at the E9K and whether it's worth buying...not sure about that at the moment as I'm pretty pleased with the sound from the E17.

Anyone care to help a newbie with what the advantage is please...?

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4,555 of 6,777
Quote:
Got my shiny new Fiio E17 today, has improvs the sound from my IE80's. Now looking at the E9K and whether it's worth buying...not sure about that at the moment as I'm pretty pleased with the sound from the E17.
Anyone care to help a newbie with what the advantage is please...?

You would only need an E9K if you wanted to power a more demanding headphone, but the IE80s are only 16ohm so the E17 should be fine. I have the E17 and IE80 btw, awesome pairing :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #4,557 of 6,777
Big question, should I sell my e17 that doesn't work in usb with my Galaxy Nexus even if it may or may not be possible and wait to buy the e18 ?
I know that we haven't many detail on this but my use for this is 70% as USB dac on my computer and 30% with my phone and I have many driver instability with this dac on my computer.
xDuoo XP-1 is quiet interesting, same WM8740 chip as the e17 but support Windows, Mac and Android 4.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #4,560 of 6,777
My new E17 seems to have stopped working. I had it plugged into my Macbook Air(via USB) and was listening to some music. I turned it off and now it wont turn on. USB charging was enabled, highly doubt it ran out of battery. Been charging it since then. The red charging indicator is glowing but pressing the power button does not turn it on. Dont have it on Hold either. Any ideas?

Edit : used a pin to push the reset button and it is working, dont know why i did not think of that before posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back