FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #3,586 of 6,777
Quote:
Mhm I actually see a special bundle offer here for an E17 and E9 for 280$ US which is about 20 dollars cheaper as buying them separately?
Is that a good bargain / better application than just the E17 ?

IT depends on if you need an E9. I personally choose not to get an E9 and instead am getting an NFB 12.1($250) and an Objective 2 Amplifier($160).

Do some research, unless you have a reason to or were brought to the E9 for more power I don't think you need it, but then again. I don't know your whole situation.

May 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #3,588 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi Ian,

First let me reiterate my situation.  I've been using the E17 with my iPad via CCK and USB hub to play 96khz-24bit FLAC files using FLAC Player.  Up until the iOS was updated to 5.1, this set up worked perfectly.  After the iOS update to 5.1 I get what sounds like distortion (maybe it is this "ragged top end" you speak of) on any files that are above 48khz. They can be FLAC files on FLAC Player or AIFF files on the Apple music player - it doesn't matter.  I've worked with Dan Leehr (FLAC Player developer) to see if he could do anything to no avail.  I'm desparately seeking a solution!!  My "portable" Hi-Res DAP is rendered useless because of this.

So, a few questions to you...  First, are you listening to files that are higher than 48khz when you hear this "ragged top end"? Second, are you using a 2x USB A to 1x Mini B Cable like what Ike shows in his diagram?  If you are just using a powered USB Hub, what brand and model is it? What brand and model USB cables are you using?

Thanks!

My situation is similar except since I am using the New iPad (3) then I have no experience before iOS 5.1. My comment about a ragged top end was about USB cable quality and not related to the real problem.

My experience of using FLAC player to play 96khz – 24 bit FLAC files is that there is a continual clicking sound overlaying the music. This only happens to me with FLAC player because it syncs. the E17 at 96khz.  If I use Capriccio, GoldenEar or EqualizerPro then they play fine. However they must be decoding the FLAC file and pumping it out to the E17 at 48khz, 16 bit. At least that’s what it says on the E17’s display.

Given this situation the questions you ask are not really relevant but rather than ignore them I will tell you that I have used two different USB hubs, also a Y cable and a straightforward USBA to USBA cable and various USBA to USBMiniB cables. The only ones to definitely avoid are the PoundStore versions.

SUGGESTION

If Dan Leehr is experiencing this problem on other brands of DAC then perhaps he should consider the same solution. If you are in touch with him could you persuade him to add “LIMIT output to 48 / 16” as an option to FLAC Player. Then at least we have a way of using the E17.

Currently the best options available to E17 users seem to be:

1. Persuade Dan to implement the above option
2. Use a competing FLAC playing app. Of the above I recommend GoldenEar at the moment.
3. Use a LOD cable. That means you are using the Apple DAC but the one in the New iPad seems pretty good. This solution also has the advantage that you don’t need to carry a USB hub but are still using the E17's excellent headamp.

Is it worth you talking to Dan?

Ian

May 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #3,589 of 6,777
Quote:
Hy all,

I have success by connecting my Ipad (3) with the FiiO E17 via Matrix Audio USB-DDC. I sounds great. You only need one coax cable.

Here is the link to the shop where I bought it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084ZTTVO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

ciao
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

This is great news, please see my post immediately above for reasons why this is important to me. Can I ask you:

1. Are you able to play 96khz 24 bit FLAC files with this solution.
2. If so which App. do you use?
3. Does the E17 say 96khz 24 bit on the display or only 48khz 16 bit

Ian

May 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,590 of 6,777
Quote:

My situation is similar except since I am using the New iPad (3) then I have no experience before iOS 5.1. My comment about a ragged top end was about USB cable quality and not related to the real problem.

My experience of using FLAC player to play 96khz – 24 bit FLAC files is that there is a continual clicking sound overlaying the music. This only happens to me with FLAC player because it syncs. the E17 at 96khz.  If I use Capriccio, GoldenEar or EqualizerPro then they play fine. However they must be decoding the FLAC file and pumping it out to the E17 at 48khz, 16 bit. At least that’s what it says on the E17’s display.

Given this situation the questions you ask are not really relevant but rather than ignore them I will tell you that I have used two different USB hubs, also a Y cable and a straightforward USBA to USBA cable and various USBA to USBMiniB cables. The only ones to definitely avoid are the PoundStore versions.

SUGGESTION

If Dan Leehr is experiencing this problem on other brands of DAC then perhaps he should consider the same solution. If you are in touch with him could you persuade him to add “LIMIT output to 48 / 16” as an option to FLAC Player. Then at least we have a way of using the E17.

Currently the best options available to E17 users seem to be:

1. Persuade Dan to implement the above option
2. Use a competing FLAC playing app. Of the above I recommend GoldenEar at the moment.
3. Use a LOD cable. That means you are using the Apple DAC but the one in the New iPad seems pretty good. This solution also has the advantage that you don’t need to carry a USB hub but are still using the E17's excellent headamp.

Is it worth you talking to Dan?

Ian

Thanks for responding Ian!!

One more question - Is the clicking very fast - say about 8 clicks or more per second?

I'm hoping the USB to SPDIF converter mentioned in the posts on either side of yours works.  That should take care of everything, though it is a $50.00 solution.

If I hear that the USB to SPDIF converter doesn't work, I will talk to Dan.  He wasn't able to replicate the problem.  He was very understanding.  He said he would see what other developers might be experiencing. Since I had it working prior to the iOS upgrade, he and I are certain Apple changed something.  He suggested posting the issue on the Apple forums, though didn't think there would be much hope given the small number of consumers impacted.  I haven't posted anything yet, but will (again) if the USB to SPDIF converter doesn't work.

May 31, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #3,592 of 6,777
Quote:
1. Are you able to play 96khz 24 bit FLAC files with this solution.
2. If so which App. do you use?
3. Does the E17 say 96khz 24 bit on the display or only 48khz 16 bit

Hallo Ian,

1. Yes
2. Flac Player, Dan Leehr L.L.C.
3. 96kHz 24 bit

The Matrix has a female RCA connector.

Bruno

May 31, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,593 of 6,777
Another finding.
I often use my ipad to listen to my music which is stored on my Mac mini. I connect via the app 'Music' to iTunes over wlan. Itunes is able to store music in 24/96. I can play these files with E17, it shows 96 kHz 24 bit.
Bruno

May 31, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3,594 of 6,777
Quote:

Hallo Ian,

1. Yes
2. Flac Player, Dan Leehr L.L.C.
3. 96kHz 24 bit

The Matrix has a female RCA connector.

Bruno

Hey Bruno,

Do you hear anything like very fast clicking (almost like a small electric motor) or what might also sound like crackling distortion when listening to these hi-rez files?  Now that I think of it, it almost sounds like interference - the kind I used to hear when I was a kid when you had a toy that had a small electric motor running close enough to a radio.

If not, did you ever use the E17 with a powered USB hub and hear what I describe above?

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #3,596 of 6,777
Quote:
No, nothing, USB powered and not powered.
Bruno

Hmmm.  What brand and model of powered USB hub did you use?  Are you certain the files are 96/24 and it's not just the connection showing as 96/24 (does that make sense)?  At this point, I'm not sure it is worth the $50 plus shipping from Japan to "experiment" with this USB to SPDIF converter.  Hopefully someone that is experiencing what I am is brave enough to do so and chimes in.

I'm baffled why my situation is not more wide-spread.  Again to reiterate, I hear a fast clicking or crackling sound on hi-rez (96khz/24bit) files from iPad 2 with iOS 5.1.1 via FLAC Player (FLAC files) or "Music Player" (AIFF files) with E17 and powered USB Hub.  My Hub is a Belkin model F4U040.  Also I spoke to an iPad3 owner that did experience the same issue via a powered USB hub (was also a Belkin, but not the same model).

May 31, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,598 of 6,777
Does iTunes stream hi-rez files? Thought I read somewhere that iTunes streams 44/16 regardless of what the original file is.
Quote:
Another finding.
I often use my ipad to listen to my music which is stored on my Mac mini. I connect via the app 'Music' to iTunes over wlan. Itunes is able to store music in 24/96. I can play these files with E17, it shows 96 kHz 24 bit.
Bruno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back