FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #3,406 of 6,777
Quote:

can't it also be used to single amp with any other source such as iPod (via headphone jack)?   thanks--and sorry if you've already made this clear

I am not sure what you are proposing here. The L7 only has a line out function, so it cannot be connected directly to the iPod.

Are you thinking of iPod -> headphone jack -> Fiio E17 -> L7 -> another amplifier that accepts line in -> headphones?

May 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #3,407 of 6,777
Quote:

can't it also be used to single amp with any other source such as iPod (via headphone jack)?   thanks--and sorry if you've already made this clear

Think you might be getting a little confused - so I'll see if I can simplify it a bit.  From your previous posts + what I've read about the D3 & E17 ......

• D3 - you have two options for audio output :
     * headphone (analogue) out - using the D3 dac and amp
     * spdif (digital) out - using D3 as transport interface only - so bypassing both amp and dac.

• E17 - you have four options for audio output:- depending on input option chosen
     * headphone out using E17 as amp only, if fed analogue signal from line-in (most common if used as portable)
     * headphone out using E17 as both amp and dac, if fed digital signal (either via spdif or usb)
     * analogue line level out via L7 cable - so you're using the E17 as a dac, and outputting a  line-level signal - eg to a better amp.
     * analogue line level out to E9 (by connecting via dock to L9 amp) - using E17's dac and E9's amp

Now as to your question regarding the iPod etc - unless you have a proprietory cable which is taking a digital signal from the iPod (think HP-P1 or CLAS set-up), then using a standard LOD from the iPod you're only extracting a line-level analogue signal from the iPod and using the E17 amp only (using the iPod dac).  Conversely, if you were using the iPod headphone out, you're using both the iPod dac and amp, then feeding that to the E17 (double amping).  Either way, the L7 has no real use, as you're not actually using the E17 dac.

I noticed above that you also seem to be a little confused wrt using the D3 and E17.  You mentioned:
D3 ---> optical/coax digital/spdif/cable/adapter ---> Spdif In (E17) --->  L7 LOD --> headphones....

There's no real point in that set-up for two reasons:
[a] You'd be using the D3 as a digital source only - which kind of defeats having the D3.  it would be different if it had huge capacity.  Suppose it's a different story if you don't like the DAC on the D3 and prefer the one on the E17 though.
Going D3 -> digital signal -> E17 -> line level analogue signal via L7 -> headphones ...... means you'd be left with a line-level signal, you really want an amplifier in the chain somewhere.  The whole point of the L7 is to bypass the E17 amp, using it's dac only, and then go to a better amp.

An example of using an E17 + L7 set-up would be:
PC or laptop via either USB or SPDIF to E17 to L7 to tube amp.  So you take a digital signal from your source (PC), use the DAC on the E17 to decode to analogue, and then send that signal at line level to your preferred amp.

Hope that helps.

May 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3,408 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure what you are proposing here. The L7 only has a line out function, so it cannot be connected directly to the iPod.

Are you thinking of iPod -> headphone jack -> Fiio E17 -> L7 -> another amplifier that accepts line in -> headphones?

So, I thought I could use sound from headphone jack of an iPod or other DAP.....connect to AUX IN of E17...and then use the L7 to bypass the Amp of the E17...  I see now that there'd be no point since the E17 wouldn't be used as either DAC or Amp.

What I initially thought/hoped for was Digital out from Cowon D3 into SPDIF IN on E17 (use E17 DAC) and then (for no reason bypass the E17 Amp using L7).  I didn't realize that the digital signal from the Cowon would be unamped. 

Quote:
Quote:

Think you might be getting a little confused - so I'll see if I can simplify it a bit.  From your previous posts + what I've read about the D3 & E17 ......

• D3 - you have two options for audio output :
     * headphone (analogue) out - using the D3 dac and amp
     * spdif (digital) out - using D3 as transport interface only - so bypassing both amp and dac.

• E17 - you have four options for audio output:- depending on input option chosen
     * headphone out using E17 as amp only, if fed analogue signal from line-in (most common if used as portable)
     * headphone out using E17 as both amp and dac, if fed digital signal (either via spdif or usb)
     * analogue line level out via L7 cable - so you're using the E17 as a dac, and outputting a  line-level signal - eg to a better amp.
     * analogue line level out to E9 (by connecting via dock to L9 amp) - using E17's dac and E9's amp

Now as to your question regarding the iPod etc - unless you have a proprietory cable which is taking a digital signal from the iPod (think HP-P1 or CLAS set-up), then using a standard LOD from the iPod you're only extracting a line-level analogue signal from the iPod and using the E17 amp only (using the iPod dac).  Conversely, if you were using the iPod headphone out, you're using both the iPod dac and amp, then feeding that to the E17 (double amping).  Either way, the L7 has no real use, as you're not actually using the E17 dac.

I noticed above that you also seem to be a little confused wrt using the D3 and E17.  You mentioned:
D3 ---> optical/coax digital/spdif/cable/adapter ---> Spdif In (E17) --->  L7 LOD --> headphones....

There's no real point in that set-up for two reasons:
[a] You'd be using the D3 as a digital source only - which kind of defeats having the D3.  it would be different if it had huge capacity.  Suppose it's a different story if you don't like the DAC on the D3 and prefer the one on the E17 though.
Going D3 -> digital signal -> E17 -> line level analogue signal via L7 -> headphones ...... means you'd be left with a line-level signal, you really want an amplifier in the chain somewhere.  The whole point of the L7 is to bypass the E17 amp, using it's dac only, and then go to a better amp.

An example of using an E17 + L7 set-up would be:
PC or laptop via either USB or SPDIF to E17 to L7 to tube amp.  So you take a digital signal from your source (PC), use the DAC on the E17 to decode to analogue, and then send that signal at line level to your preferred amp.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your thorough explanation.  Yes, that helps a ton and clears up all misunderstandings I think :D  My mind wasn't working very well since I pulled an all-nighter as well :frowning2: 

and wow, I was hoping I could just get a simple coax cable--looks like the D3 uses a proprietary USB cable that has both video and audio.. http://www.amazon.com/COWON-TV-Out-Cable-V5/dp/B003AYZTA4/ref=pd_sim_e_7   

May 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3,409 of 6,777
Sadly, for those of us in the U.S., it appears that late-June is when more of the E17s will be back in stock.  Until that time, it looks like if someone needs one, they'll be gouged $175 - $200 instead of the $139 (MSRP).

May 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3,410 of 6,777
Quote:
Sadly, for those of us in the U.S., it appears that late-June is when more of the E17s will be back in stock.  Until that time, it looks like if someone needs one, they'll be gouged $175 - $200 instead of the $139 (MSRP).

We shouldn't complain. It is worse in Europe. The suggested or first set thought of MSRP was $150 but man sold at $140. The average price for early batches was $139-$150. Currently it is $210. But at least you get free shipping.

May 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,411 of 6,777
Very sorry, we have ordered all the component in 3 months ago, but one important IC is delay to July, so the we have to delay the production of the 3rd batch of ALPEN to July. 

About the price, hope you can understand, that in Euro, even the online shops must be charged 20% VAT which is far more expensive than in US, as you know, it is not decided by FiiO or our agents. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3,412 of 6,777
  Should I leave the Excluse Mode boxes checked?  If they are checked, doesn't that mean that different apps can override the settings that I chose above? 

thanks

May 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #3,413 of 6,777
Should I leave the Excluse Mode boxes checked?  If they are checked, doesn't that mean that different apps can override the settings that I chose above? 

thanks

As I understand it, Exclusive mode means that an application can have exclusive use of the device. For example, if you change your settings in Media Monkey (or your music player) to use the SPDIF exclusively, no other applications will be able to use that output while that app is running. Primarily, this will prevent Windows sounds, email notifications, etc. from being heard while your music is playing. Since your music app will have exclusive control, it may also prevent unwanted clicks, skips, pauses, etc. from other processes interfering with that output (not sure this is really an issue).

I would leave the Windows setting on (as you have it).

May 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3,416 of 6,777
So those of us who are looking to purchase will probably have to hold off till July? 
triportsad.gif

I will wait because I am really interested in the feature set of this little amp/dac. 
Just out of curiosity I found the Fiio e17 through a quick google search at accesoryjack.com They are offering it for the regular 150$ price point? Do you guys think it is safe to purchase it thought this store. From what I know they are based in Hong Kong so the shipping would take a while and I just wanna make sure that I would be getting the real deal and not some cheap knock off. (not to stereo type, just looking at track records).
Thanks Guys. 

May 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3,417 of 6,777
Quote:
So those of us who are looking to purchase will probably have to hold off till July? 
triportsad.gif

I will wait because I am really interested in the feature set of this little amp/dac. 
Just out of curiosity I found the Fiio e17 through a quick google search at accesoryjack.com They are offering it for the regular 150$ price point? Do you guys think it is safe to purchase it thought this store. From what I know they are based in Hong Kong so the shipping would take a while and I just wanna make sure that I would be getting the real deal and not some cheap knock off. (not to stereo type, just looking at track records).
Thanks Guys. 

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AccessoryJack

http://www.webutation.net/go/review/accessoryjack.com#

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/headphones-etc/how-to-avoid-buying-fake-headphones

Unauthorised Online Dealers

The following websites are known resellers of fake Audio-Technica headphones:

headphones-best.com
headphonestore.org.uk
headphonesale.co.uk
headphoneshop.uk.com
kingspecssd.com
soundsgreatuk.com
traders-market.co.uk

The following websites are non-authorised resellers of Audio-Technica headphones and Audio-Technica strongly recommends European customers do NOT purchase from these stores:

accessoryjack.com
eeepcssd.com
hammerjack.co.uk
iheadphones.co.uk

In addition, Audio-Technica strongly advises customers against buying from eBay, or from any website where the price appears unusually low.

Shure
List supplied by: Shure UK

Authorised Online Dealers
If you come across a dealer selling Shure earphones, headphones or microphones and you are not sure whether they are authorised or not, refer to the below link, or call 01992 703058 for clarification.

http://www.shure.co.uk/meta_en/where_to_buy/dealer_locator

Unauthorised Online Dealers
Shure UK would advise you NOT to purchase from these companies:

4gadget.co.uk
accessoryjack.com
coolmart.co.uk
eeepcssd.com
hammerjack.co.uk
iheadphones.co.uk
simplyelectronics.net

The following websites

Hi

I recently bought a pair of audio technica ATH -W1000x from accessoryjack one of the 'dont buy from' retailers mentioned above. After receiving them I checked with a very helpful Audio Technica person in Hong Kong who confirmed that the serial numbers were those of a genuine audio technica products. He also said that they were unaware of there being fake ATH-w1000 around.

The headphones sound good to me so far - although having said that I would really value knowing whether they are fakes, does anyone know if audio technica would assess them for me?

Bryan

RE: How to avoid buying fake headphones

bryanl01 wrote:

Hi

I recently bought a pair of audio technica ATH -W1000x from accessoryjack one of the 'dont buy from' retailers mentioned above. After receiving them I checked with a very helpful Audio Technica person in Hong Kong who confirmed that the serial numbers were those of a genuine audio technica products. He also said that they were unaware of there being fake ATH-w1000 around.

The headphones sound good to me so far - although having said that I would really value knowing whether they are fakes, does anyone know if audio technica would assess them for me?

Bryan

It doesn't mean that they are fake just because you purchased them from a company on that list, it just means that they are not an authorized retailer. The headphones have probably been sourced from a cheaper market and sold here without the price fixing of the manufacturer. It simply means that if you have a problem with them they won't be covered under manufacturers warranty. If the manufacturer's wanted to stop this they could always stop ripping people in Britain off and charge them the same as everyone else in the world......Hey Grado are you listening.  

I have sympathy with the manufacturers with regards to the copious amounts of fakes coming predominantly from China though. The problem is that the western world has abandoned manufacturing and China has become the number one in this area. Western manufacturers can't sell successfully into China because of the heavy taxes imposed on goods going into the country. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about fake goods being manufactured there, the Chinese don't care and will do nothing about it and the Western countries are to gutless to do anything (such as impose there own taxes) to force them, we all want cheap, cheap, cheaper.

Accesory Jack is not an authorized FiiO retailer. As you will see above they appear to be legit but as they are not authorized dealers, companies like Shure and Audio Technica don't like you buying from them as you will get no warranty.

Bascically that looks to be legit, but if it has problems, you may be screwed if Accesory Jack doesn't honor any warranty promises if it even has any. Up to you.

May 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3,420 of 6,777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back