FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 26, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,061 of 6,777
Also is the balance supposed to cut the R/L completely as you go R/L or is it just by a few dB?

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #3,062 of 6,777
A short review as in what you are hearing and how much you like it? If its below 3 parapgras and more as an impression for others than i think it fit the atmosphere of this thread. If its really a reciew, the e17 has its own page on the forums for review. Longer more thought out reviews are usually in a new thread of its own on head fi

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #3,063 of 6,777
What do you all think about the sound quality of the e17 vs. the e10?

I'm considering buying an e10 or e17 to replace my e7, but I'm only going to be using it with my PC so I'm not worried about portability. I can get the e10 for $70 but it looks like the e17 is ~$160, so I'd rather go with the e10 if the sound quality is similar. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #3,064 of 6,777

I'm considering buying an e10 or e17 to replace my e7, but I'm only going to be using it with my PC so I'm not worried about portability. I can get the e10 for $70 but it looks like the e17 is ~$160, so I'd rather go with the e10 if the sound quality is similar. Thanks.

Last time i checked it was 140.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #3,065 of 6,777
I'd like to say a few things. I received my E17 today, and I paired it with Ultrasone PRO 750s.

I'm very happy with the way it sounds! :) HOWEVER!

It really is an awesome little unit. Some of the best sound I have yet to hear coming out of my Ultrasone PRO 750s. Okay, actually it IS the best sound that has come out of the Ultrasones. I had my Ultrasones for sale because I didn't have anything to drive them with, but now I plan to keep them because I can see the PRO 750s potential now after using the E17.

Now if you noticed I said HOWEVER. And there is an issue here. I would give this 9/10 or 10/10 however it is more like 7/10. And here is why.

I'm also getting the static issue some people are mentioning. I have a brand new build computer all latest technology... i5-2500K, Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard, Corsair AX750 Power Supply, 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM, running on USB 3.0 and a Corsair Performance Pro SSD. There should not be any latency here or issues about upgrading the computer or motherboard. (with all the latest drivers)

Now although it sounds good when it works, the E17 produces static almost everytime I play a track. And you can hear it loud and clearly (well if you have trained ears like ours). I'm quite sure this is the same static everyone else is having. I also noticed that if I rewind the track a few seconds to duplicate the static areas it will happen but after about the 4th-7th time I rewind it to the part with the static, the static will disappear and it will be CRYSTAL clear (this is where the 9/10 or 10/10 comes in).

But whenever I switch tracks it produces the static again. So far it seems to always produce static everytime I load a new track (using different programs). But I actually thought they were part of the track until they dissappeared after rewind the songs several times. Not sure if it is a buffering thing or what, but it's slightly annoying knowing that I can't just play a track and expect to hear it at its hightest fidelity. And that is where the big HOWEVER 7/10 comes in....

Should I return it, or stick it out? I like the little guy, but It's kind of annoying to pay $150 for something that doesn't really do what it is mean to do... which is to give clear quality audio. I could care less if the issues was with something else (asthetic), but we are buying it for audio quality and the audio quality is affected with this problem....

So I'm on the fence. I love it, yet I hate the static. I hope I can get rid of it somehow or it might be going back.

Open to suggestions! THANKS!

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3,067 of 6,777
Check out the Headphonia review on the E17 and decide for yourself.  I have both and happen to agree (clear across the board better).  On the other hand, when I just had the E10 (still do) I was extremely happy with it.  Ignorance is bliss, just had to do the upgrade thing and my E10 is sitting around as a backup.  If you don't need portability and the features of the E17, the E10 is a great buy and a good dec/amp.
BTW.. which headphones? It's also all about synergy.

Quote:

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3,068 of 6,777

Quote:

Let me know if you can hear the quality you would if it were in person... a good quality acoustic guitar sounds amazing compared to any guitar piece in my music collection, even at 96K\24bit.

So i attended the L.A meet at the Village last Sunday, and i had the chance to listen to many of the top end headphones that are often talked about like the LCD-2, LCD3, Stax, D2000,D7000, K701.... list goes on and on. Long story short, acoustic guitars sound incredibly realistic on these setups. Words truly cannot give you a sense of what these rigs sound like unless you try them out for yourself.... i was completely blown away by the different headphone and amp combos.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3,069 of 6,777
@sinew4ve

How long have you been using the E17? I'm not sure if my experience is the same as yours but I thought maybe I should share it with you.

When I first got mine, I plugged it into my MacBook Pro straightaway for charging. Since I was too eager to use it, I turned it on after just 30 mins of charging and let it run and charge at the same time. I set the E17 as the default audio device in the System Preferences. Then I started playing some music. The sound was OK but I noticed some static/distortion for a few seconds every time I press a key on my keyboard (any key).

I was really worried that there is some problem with my E17. I tried many other music and different file format and the problem still the same. I also tried closing and restarting the music player app (Decibel), but it's still the same. Then I tried restarting my laptop and everything works fine from then onwards. Phew!

I'm not sure why the E17 exhibit this behaviour on first use, but I guess maybe it's due to the device driver was not loaded properly and a restart solved the problem. Hope you will find a solution soon cos the E17 is really a marvelous product. I'm loving it. Cheers!

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,070 of 6,777

Quote:
Check out the Headphonia review on the E17 and decide for yourself.  I have both and happen to agree (clear across the board better).  On the other hand, when I just had the E10 (still do) I was extremely happy with it.  Ignorance is bliss, just had to do the upgrade thing and my E10 is sitting around as a backup.  If you don't need portability and the features of the E17, the E10 is a great buy and a good dec/amp.
BTW.. which headphones? It's also all about synergy.

Yep, the Headphonia review is actually what caused me to become skeptical about buying the e10. So the general consensus is that the e17 has better sound quality than the e10, but either one will be a significant upgrade over the e7? Btw I'm using Senn HD598's

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #3,071 of 6,777

Quote:

I was thinking about that too. I only have the L9. Maybe a better LOD will solve the issue.

Have you tried with the stock patch cable that comes with the E17? It may not be a LOD but it could possibly identify the issue.
With that said, the L9 is an excellent cable, though I think it may be a little too thick for the solder joints, bending it ends up causing slight ruptures or disconnections. The 'cheaper' equivalents are more flexible.

Or, since you have V-moda, they come with other cables no? you can try those also as the AUX cables.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #3,072 of 6,777
@sinew4v

You may have a faulty unit. Or a faulty usb cable. Try a different usb cable and plug on your computer heck try it with aux

As this review said even with a 5% faulty batch the more units made, the higher that goes.

Most as you can tell dont have this problem... Most? You are the first to have this specific one.

After i say what i am about to say next you will be " oh yeah i know that" and of course you probably do deep down but didnt connect it yet.
Just because your computer and hardware is new and self built with the most updated drivers does not mean your board or usb ports has some deficiencies by design or by that percent error and those updated drivers do not mean you have the best fix.
Try a front panel and back panel usb port. Ones that are on your chasis connected to the mobo sometimes have static issues.

And as said also try the two way 3.5mm cable with your computers audio out on the back(not on front) direct from the motherboard out is better for tests. And see if aux gives any issues and then report back.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #3,073 of 6,777

Quote:

Yes it will "work". Will it bypass the iPad 2's DAC? No. You need a Camera Connection Kit first, and next you need a seperate source of power for the E17's plug(so like a powered usb hub) as the e17's power draw is larger than what the iPad supports. Some of those usb adapters that increase the voltage have been said to work but I do not know. 

The E17 will work with any device that outputs sound through a 3.5mm jack.

Good Info. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back