FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #2,401 of 6,777

Quote:
It's no longer on pre-order because they have them in stock. The pre-order option was only available before they received the shipment from Fiio (also, if you preordered, you had the option of FedEx shipping or the free gifts).

Mp4nation received the E17 Friday (I think), and shipped out some of the orders that day (mine was shipped out Friday...).

So even though I ordered mine in mid-Feb, and some people who ordered theirs in March received their E17 already, do you think I should give mp4nation a few more days before I cancel my order and head over to Head-Direct or Micca? Just wondering b/c mp4nation told me via email that my E17 would ship out last week, but it did not. 
confused_face_2.gif
 Any thoughts?

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,402 of 6,777

Quote:
So even though I ordered mine in mid-Feb, and some people who ordered theirs in March received their E17 already, do you think I should give mp4nation a few more days before I cancel my order and head over to Head-Direct or Micca? Just wondering b/c mp4nation told me via email that my E17 would ship out last week, but it did not. 
confused_face_2.gif
 Any thoughts?

It sounds to me like MP4Nation, for whatever reason, is jerking you around.  I'd cancel the order with them and get it from Head-Direct if I were you.  Heck, if nothing else, you'll get it quicker (assuming you're in the USA).

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2,403 of 6,777
I ordered way back in January and mine wasn't shipped as well, that's some crappy business practice from mp4nation. If mine doesn't get shipped by next week I'm cancelling my order.

Sorry for being negative on my first post.. 
redface.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,404 of 6,777

Quote:
I didn't pay attention. This goes back into beliefs on whether solid state burn in exists and to what extent. I personally didn't hear much change. I think it's just getting used to it. Anyway it's great to always see SoundDreamer. I hate seeing people regret their purchase and it's great to see that SoundDreamer liked it :)

It is real and not a placebo. The same thing happened via the analog outputs via my OPPO BDP-93 after several hours. Mediocre at first, then at some point, all of a sudden the sound changed for the better.

Quote:
How long is a good burn in?

The E17 sounds great out of the box and starts to open up after several hours of play. Personally, I noticed a difference in sound as the listening time progressed. I wasn't paying much attention to time but after about a week of around 45 minutes of listening time, the player really started to open up. After around two weeks, even more so. Now, it sounds at it's peak. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2,405 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif
 Any thoughts?

It sounds to me like MP4Nation, for whatever reason, is jerking you around.  I'd cancel the order with them and get it from Head-Direct if I were you.  Heck, if nothing else, you'll get it quicker (assuming you're in the USA).

Yep.  I'm tempted to put in the order now through head-direct, but I think I'll wait for Miccastore -_-  They should arrive tomorrow and they throw in a tshirt and toslink cable

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,406 of 6,777

Quote:
Now I hear the difference between the iPod 5.5gen and using the E17. There is a definite better performance with the bass. It is much wider, deeper and does not go fuzzy at the lower frequency end of the bass. I still yet to hear the difference in treble. I m very satisfy with the improvement with the bass using the E17
wink.gif

that's odd.  the 5.5gen and 5gen have the same wolfson dac in it.  Maybe they're implemented differently.  The people who do the red wine audio imod seem to use the 5.5gen most often

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2,407 of 6,777

Quote:
It is real and not a placebo. The same thing happened via the analog outputs via my OPPO BDP-93 after several hours. Mediocre at first, then at some point, all of a sudden the sound changed for the better.

The E17 sounds great out of the box and starts to open up after several hours of play. Personally, I noticed a difference in sound as the listening time progressed. I wasn't paying much attention to time but after about a week of around 45 minutes of listening time, the player really started to open up. After around two weeks, even more so. Now, it sounds at it's peak. 

I played the same song over and over again concentrating the different party of music like treble, bass, space etc. As I like bass a lot, after I think approx. 2 hours, I have noticed a clear difference with the bass. In fact I have been using my UE TF10 all these time and the bass was not as clear and deep before using the E17. Normal level of bass is ok, but those really deep one is more clearer now.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #2,408 of 6,777

Quote:
that's odd.  the 5.5gen and 5gen have the same wolfson dac in it.  Maybe they're implemented differently.  The people who do the red wine audio imod seem to use the 5.5gen most often

I noticed about the DAC too. May be it is more on the combination of E17 + UETF10 more than iPOD 5.5gen + E17. I don't know.
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2,409 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

I played the same song over and over again concentrating the different party of music like treble, bass, space etc. As I like bass a lot, after I think approx. 2 hours, I have noticed a clear difference with the bass. In fact I have been using my UE TF10 all these time and the bass was not as clear and deep before using the E17. Normal level of bass is ok, but those really deep one is more clearer now.

this is a little discouraging, b/c even Wolfson + Voodoo with 5db amp on my Nexus S phone makes the TF10 have AMAZING soundstage (to my ears).   I guess maybe I don't listen to bass heavy music...but still.  and using the Comply foam tips for the TF10 really help with bass.  With my amp, the TF10 have that same amazing soundstage..maybe slightly more alive than my phone (just sold today...as of right now my only source which I haven't set up yet is my PS Vita which has a wolfson dac in it, I came to find out today -_-)   Like I've said before, the TF10 sound just like my DT880 (99%???) when amped to either my former nexus S or my amp. 

Hopefully your impressions will significantly improve once the E17 breaks in more.....   about to pull the trigger tomorrow =O

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #2,410 of 6,777
Quote:
For those interested, Head-Direct now has the E17 in stock.  It looks like they ship from within the U.S. so if you're leery of going with MP4Nation this might be a better alternative.

Last time I ordered from Head-Direct, they shipped from Hong Kong. Maybe it's just where I am located?

Quote:
confused_face_2.gif
 Any thoughts?

Seems like it was just luck of the draw. They (the administrators on the Mp4nation forums) said that they received the shipment Friday, shipped out about half the orders on Friday, and would send the rest out on Monday (April 2nd).

Quote:
I ordered way back in January and mine wasn't shipped as well, that's some crappy business practice from mp4nation. If mine doesn't get shipped by next week I'm cancelling my order.

Sorry for being negative on my first post.. 
redface.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,411 of 6,777
I strongly recommend XLO & Reference Recordings Test And Burn-In CD track nr. 9 System Burn In....

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #2,413 of 6,777

Quote:
I personally still think adding or Saying "Wolfson" in posts about your android phone is extremely misleading. The wolfsons used in those are low power/ medium performance regular models.

While true, the wolfson DAC chip in the nexus S do sound pretty good., after being 'unlocked' by voodoo controls. You need to try it - quite outstanding for a phone/general dap.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #2,414 of 6,777
I'd have to agree here. Even remembering my WM8740 based iBasso D10, I had a stack of Wolfson based DAPs that sounded really good in their own right, though not "quite" as good, mostly good in a "different" way (as with all things audio). However the SGS with Voodoo Sound is Much closer to the D10 than any of those other Wolfson "codec" DAC products.

In some ways, it sounds nicer (in tems of smoothness, and rendition, than my T51, which we all know sounds good)
Quote:
While true, the wolfson DAC chip in the nexus S do sound pretty good., after being 'unlocked' by voodoo controls. You need to try it - quite outstanding for a phone/general dap.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #2,415 of 6,777
One of the most embarrassing moments in my audiophile journey...

I just received my new Motorola RaZR, and so played around with it - 'Why not?' I thought to myself, so I loaded a few songs into it and used it with my TF10. It sounded pretty good so I told my gf (I successfully educated her into one of us, except pretty little lurker =] ), and she had a listen.

20sec later she looked at me, and handed me her Galaxy S with Voodoo. Fcuk I was ashamed. New toy syndrome always hit me so hard, hands down her SGS sounded so much better, to the level where I felt like taking my DAP and AMP stack out to compare with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back