FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,371 of 6,777

Quote:

I asked mp4nation earlier this week about shipment status, and they said my order would ship at the end of this week; hopefully it'll go out today?!

You should be getting yours soon because they shipped my E17 yesterday!

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,373 of 6,777

Quote:
Just checked, they have not sent my yet!  I pre-ordered mine over 2 months ago.  When did you pre-ordered your's?

I placed my order March 3rd. Hope all is well with your order.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2,374 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
just a quick question regarding DACs...I have read the macbook pro's dac is very good.  Does anyone know about the Macbook Air?  (newer gen--not the latest)

You should open up ifix it and look around or search previous model(2010) DAC's and compare. You should be in the green if it is a Cirrus Logic but as they use un documented model numbers. The world may never know.

The one's used in Mac's are good. Compared to everything else out there. For a chip that comes standard and allows for optical out....it is a good chip in that sense. I enjoy it a lot. It could be the amplifier or circuitry but the sound comming from the Mac has a bit of a warm feeling. Not like Wolfson's, a bit muddier and looser and not as audiophile but it has that distinct warm feeling and sound that Wolfson's are known for. Not as good as a Wolfson but if you have no money, it's already very good :) The Macbook Pro's also have a amp that puts out quite some power :) Not a whole lot but enough :)

If you have the money and believe you are now able to discern the difference between the sounds then I say go for it.

Make sure to buy from a place that is easily returnable if you want to get the E17. This is for in case you don't like it or can't tell the difference and wouldn't care to spend money.

You still haven't gotten it yet? You've been here asking for a while and you even came up to me on Youtube so I assumed you had already did :/

Anyway, back to just lurking. I'll post again when someone has another question...which is happening more frequently now as more and more are getting the device in. I believe 10K should have been made by now.

I planned on not getting it--because I bought the little dot mk3 from headfi's classifieds....however it still hasn't arrived!!!  D:    It's been about a month and I'm getting a little worried.  I didn't pay as gift, so I think I'm at least safe if anything happens (I have 45 days to file a complaint)  I'm finding that I would indeed enjoy having a USB dac, especially since I only have laptops at home and it'd be nice to use at school..  also the pretty powerful amp in the e17 should drive my dt880s well enough.. 

during this whole limbo period, i've been tempted to get the E11 or E17 if available and have ordered an E6 for my friend (non-audiophile) and see if he likes it (see if I like it too :p

When I see that it's available for order on miccastore, there's a good chance I'll just jump on it. 

Do you possibly know if the  WM87588G in iPod 5th gen/5.5th gen    is better than teh WM8994?    thanks

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #2,375 of 6,777

Quote:
I planned on not getting it--because I bought the little dot mk3 from headfi's classifieds....however it still hasn't arrived!!!  D:    It's been about a month and I'm getting a little worried.  I didn't pay as gift, so I think I'm at least safe if anything happens (I have 45 days to file a complaint)  I'm finding that I would indeed enjoy having a USB dac, especially since I only have laptops at home and it'd be nice to use at school..  also the pretty powerful amp in the e17 should drive my dt880s well enough.. 

during this whole limbo period, i've been tempted to get the E11 or E17 if available and have ordered an E6 for my friend (non-audiophile) and see if he likes it (see if I like it too :p

When I see that it's available for order on miccastore, there's a good chance I'll just jump on it. 

Do you possibly know if the  WM87588G in iPod 5th gen/5.5th gen    is better than teh WM8994?    thanks

What was the trader score of the guy?

Most in the thread said it had enough power to drive 250 ohm Beyers so I guess it does

Test out an E6? *cough cough* opens package and listens *puts back in package* (no one was ever there)

To know something like that you would need personal experience. The easier to find threads on that stuff always seems to not be from Head-Fi and you won't know if the guy knows what he is talking about sadly. I would try asking it here in the threads but most people don't get the right answer as ....most that have those ipod's don't prowl those threads :/ You should find adequate info on which ipod is the best though. Just Google it. I found it many times before. Granted it takes about an hour to get all the facts down, but it's nice and worth it. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,376 of 6,777
I use the E17 with the current 2011 MBA and it's absolutely outstanding! Same with my first gen so I assume that they're all about the same.  Tried the MBA HP jack once.. never agin.
Do yourself a favor, get one!

Quote:
just a quick question regarding DACs...I have read the macbook pro's dac is very good.  Does anyone know about the Macbook Air?  (newer gen--not the latest)

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,378 of 6,777

Quote:
I use the E17 with the current 2011 MBA and it's absolutely outstanding! Same with my first gen so I assume that they're all about the same.  Tried the MBA HP jack once.. never agin.
Do yourself a favor, get one!

How much sound improves is different per person. I don't mean sound improves as in technically but as in a per person basis. The DAC may have no effect on some and some may think it's not worth it. Everyone has different levels of audiophileness and also how much they thing is worth what they bought. Hyogen seems to not be a problem but there are some that are more consumer or can't see the E17 being worth $150. Those are mainly the mainstream consumers but some(few) head fi'ers do share those thoughts. Telling someone to just go out and get one wouldn't exactly be correct. Sharing the details and providing insight and info on it that include what they should expect. How everyone is different should matter.

Granted, personally I know exactly where you are coming from as I have the MBP too. Would I starve away from my MBP's standard headphone out? No. It's high quality enough IMO that I don't need to be. For other computers with standard audio chips and ipod's direct out. I can see where you are coming from. Again this is just in my opinion. I can stand the MBP headphone out but can't stand other computers audio out and an ipod's(with headphones. I can stand it with regular consumer earbuds though) 

I'm not confronting you by the way if it feels that way. I have been mistaken many times before. I am just getting a point out that just telling somebody to buy this..considering it is $150 and .....still hard and uncertain to get one's hands on besides the fact that FiiO has probably churned out 10K of these already as they just finished their second batch presumably.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,380 of 6,777

Quote:
Is this a good DAC + headphone amp for Ety ER4s? I sort of need a cheap and portable all-in-one solution as I'm going abroad soon.

"Welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet"

I don't exactly want to seem like I am here all over the place...but ...lost souls beckon. Even with incomplete answers.

A quick search of this thread of ER4's only turns up one person. CLIEOS himself tested the E17 with them. I would shoot him a P.M asking how the ER4's were with the E17. I wouldn't bet on waiting in this thread. CLIEOS I doubt checks every comment and even if he did it would take a while to get back to you.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,382 of 6,777
Ordered mine on 2/22 and they haven't shipped yet either
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #2,384 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

What was the trader score of the guy?

Most in the thread said it had enough power to drive 250 ohm Beyers so I guess it does

Test out an E6? *cough cough* opens package and listens *puts back in package* (no one was ever there)

To know something like that you would need personal experience. The easier to find threads on that stuff always seems to not be from Head-Fi and you won't know if the guy knows what he is talking about sadly. I would try asking it here in the threads but most people don't get the right answer as ....most that have those ipod's don't prowl those threads :/ You should find adequate info on which ipod is the best though. Just Google it. I found it many times before. Granted it takes about an hour to get all the facts down, but it's nice and worth it. 

His trader score was 0, but so is mine.  I'm not worried about it--just annoyed that it's been 1 month since payment.  I have 45 days to file a claim which from my experience, Ebay and Paypal do not protect the seller whatsoever.....sadly.  He says he shipped it almost 2 weeks ago and I was okay with cheapest method...  at this point I don't have any reason to think he is trying to scam me, especially with being willing to accept non-gift Paypal payment. 

hehehe--will definitely try out his E6 once he opens it :p 

Yeah, I've found that the 5th gen and 5.5gen ipod classic (video) have the best wolfson dac/sound. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2,385 of 6,777
Hello everyone! I am so sorry for my wallet cos I preordered the E17 two weeks ago, but it's OK cos it will be my bday present from myself. Haha! Thanks to @ClieOS for the great review and advice and I finally made the decision.

I just checked the tracking number I got from MP4nation. The courier service has picked up my E17 and it's on the way home! Can't wait to receive it soon.

Hope everyone have a nice day. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back