FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2,191 of 6,777
As oppose, I was actually going to suggest you the E11, as you do not seem to need the extra DAC function of the E17. A lot of E17's selling point lies into portable, powerful amp, nice DAC, form factor, and all of the inputs.

For you, if you are satisfied by the X-Fi, I don't see you needing a DAC. Then next question you need to ask yourself is do you need the full ability of EQ tweaking that the E17 holds against the E11?

Or, would you want a nice looking E17 / 9 system? Because it looks very nice! 
tongue_smile.gif

If you don't need the extra benefits the E17 holds against the E11, but have just that much of spare cash for your upgrade, you can also check out other amps as well.

Quote:
you are comparing an Corvette to an Bugatti. the E6 is a starter amp that is well received due to it's price and EQ options and it's brother the E5 even got the thumbs up from NwAVGuy. the E17 is..on the other end of the scale(i have e5 and E17) it depends if you are in an audiophile or i don't care mood. when you are in the later mood it doesn't really matter what amp it is, as long as it has bass boost that's all I care about however when really comparing them. the difference is there. The E17 remember is popular due to a plethora of features, price to performance, inputs, perofmrance, power, dock ability, EQ, OLED screen, and other stuff. the E6 is just an amp. If you like the Zune sound and odn't have any problems and just need more power the e6 or E11 might suit you better, depending on how hard your headphones are too drive, but if you want the features of a portable sound card(i don't think you do) then the E17 is good. the E6 and E11 are pure amps that are well received and loved. i won't go into the E11...it must be THE MOST POPULAR(cheap) amp out in this part of the forums, there's so many posts on it it's not even funny. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,193 of 6,777
I have a problem with my e17 the left channel is no longer working :frowning2: i have tested aux cable & usb input with the same results. the Balance is definently center as well. any ideas?

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,194 of 6,777

Quote:
I have a problem with my e17 the left channel is no longer working :frowning2: i have tested aux cable & usb input with the same results. the Balance is definently center as well. any ideas?

Contact the seller for warranty.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,196 of 6,777
cheers have contacted seller and it seems like a dry solder joint on headphone jack as it crackles if you slightly move cable. hopefully they will replace/fix

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2,198 of 6,777
Just a question, is there currently any portable digital source to pair with the E17 so you can make a portable rig?? Android is letting me down in using my phone as the source, shame on you google.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #2,199 of 6,777
Just a question, is there currently any portable digital source to pair with the E17 so you can make a portable rig?? Android is letting me down in using my phone as the source, shame on you google.

After little support from android, nokia also has some spotty support for digital output. Currently best support is ipad with camera connection kit. Keep in mind you also need a powered usb hub if the usb draw of the dac is over 100 or 150mah(forgot which one). Most need this. Some dont, theres a lit on head fi that will tell u. E17 needs powered usb hub with ipad, e7 doesnt.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,200 of 6,777
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579365/usb-headphone-amp-with-android-phones-possible

You need a phone that has USB OTG, a special OTG cable (it shorts pin1 and pin2 IIRC), and an OS with the usbaudio.o ALSA driver that Google neglected to include. Pretty sure CM7 supports both USB host and ALSA. I know with some phones they also require the device to be plugged in at boot time.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #2,201 of 6,777
How significant is the improvement to amping when the E17 is docked with the E9? I've got an E17 on order at the moment while I'll be using on the go and with my Mac, will the E9's amp outdo using the E17 alone? I'm not going to be driving anything particularly power-hungry, just the ATH-M50s and Superlux HD668 B.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,202 of 6,777
Has their been a conclusion to the E17 and the ipad yet? 

Where the E17 really shines for me is the difference between just using a headphone jack on the Macbook Pro and Usb/E17. (but I just recently learned there is optical out on Macbook Pro) I feel like my E17 dies so fast haha. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,203 of 6,777

Quote:
Has their been a conclusion to the E17 and the ipad yet? 

Where the E17 really shines for me is the difference between just using a headphone jack on the Macbook Pro and Usb/E17. (but I just recently learned there is optical out on Macbook Pro) I feel like my E17 dies so fast haha. 

what do you mean by conclusion? you need an powered USB hub if that is what you mean, and since you are using the E17's WM8740 DAC and it's amps like you would from a computer ..the sound should be very close except this time it's from flash storage(said to sound better)

haha it's ok. i use otpical on my MBP a lot too :) MBP is limited to 96KHz by the OS and my PC can do 192KHz through optical(i had probelms before..not anymore :)  )

the amp section with use wtih ipod is ok. not really omg or anything, it has an EQ which is proabbly the biggest idfference with my ipod...however when i use the Wolfson. that's the changing point.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2,204 of 6,777

Quote:
what do you mean by conclusion? you need an powered USB hub if that is what you mean, and since you are using the E17's WM8740 DAC and it's amps like you would from a computer ..the sound should be very close except this time it's from flash storage(said to sound better)

haha it's ok. i use otpical on my MBP a lot too :) MBP is limited to 96KHz by the OS and my PC can do 192KHz through optical(i had probelms before..not anymore :)  )

the amp section with use wtih ipod is ok. not really omg or anything, it has an EQ which is proabbly the biggest idfference with my ipod...however when i use the Wolfson. that's the changing point.

So would this work for the E17? http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Charger-Adapter-Apple-iPad2/dp/B0042LF23I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332110392&sr=8-3

I really don't know which to purchase for cheap. Since I can't rockbox my Nano 4g I really want to get the Ipad to work,

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,205 of 6,777

Quote:
So would this work for the E17? http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Charger-Adapter-Apple-iPad2/dp/B0042LF23I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332110392&sr=8-3

I really don't know which to purchase for cheap. Since I can't rockbox my Nano 4g I really want to get the Ipad to work,

it's a hit and miss with these. you could try though. do you already have E17. if so then you could try a few and see what works and then report back..but it's up to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back