FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,161 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered the first shipment of the FiiO E17 and have had it since. I just diagnosed the E17 as having background noise. I tried hdmi > tv > toslink, nvidia graphics card hdmi > monitor > coaxial, pc > usb, and all of them display the noise. I have usb power charge off, gain set to 0 and volume set to 22. I tried both my UE Triple Fi 10's and they both have the noise, however, my ATH-M50's do not; in fact I've been using my M50's and not the Triple Fi's, which is why I just recently noticed it.

I tried the same setup as your but I don't detect any noise on my TF10.

I would use the airplane attenuator that came with the TF10s.  I find that they can be driven better even at lower volumes with an amp that way.  It's like raising the impedance from 32ohm to 250ohm (at least in my opinion).  They sound pretty much JUST like my DT880 250 :D 

That should take the hiss out.  I think the reason why you're hearing hiss with TF10 and not the M50's is b/c the TF10 are more sensitive.  i could be wrong about that, though.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,165 of 6,777
Could someone please explain this to me as if I were a 6 year old kid, i'm a bit confused because I have never owned a FiiO product before, but regarding the paring with the E7/17 with the E9, I heard you have to bypass E7/17's amp (while using it as a DAC) how is this done, I've heard  you have to get a line-out or something of that sort... does it come with any of the above mentioned products or do you have to buy it separately? 

I'd really appreciate if someone could explain this step by step, it will be my first time using a FiiO product and using my computer as a source.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,166 of 6,777
Hmm, that would make more than 2 1/2 months wait........after pre-order

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #2,167 of 6,777

Quote:
Could someone please explain this to me as if I were a 6 year old kid, i'm a bit confused because I have never owned a FiiO product before, but regarding the paring with the E7/17 with the E9, I heard you have to bypass E7/17's amp (while using it as a DAC) how is this done, I've heard  you have to get a line-out or something of that sort... does it come with any of the above mentioned products or do you have to buy it separately? 

I'd really appreciate if someone could explain this step by step, it will be my first time using a FiiO product and using my computer as a source.

Nup, no extra requirements. When docked, the E9 would automatically extract the line out signal from the E7 or E17. You can choose to NOT bypass the E17 amp in order to use the EQ on the E9 output - a new and handy feature of the E17.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,169 of 6,777
Button location:

I use the E7 and strap it back-to-back with my iPhone.  All buttons are on the side.
On the E17, are the buttons on the front recessed enough that the silicone strap won't push them?  Are they stiff enough?

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2,170 of 6,777

Quote:
Button location:

I use the E7 and strap it back-to-back with my iPhone.  All buttons are on the side.
On the E17, are the buttons on the front recessed enough that the silicone strap won't push them?  Are they stiff enough?

hahah...no. That's the problem. would the strap push them? no. they are good enough that it won't but ...guess what, for me the optimal location band placement puts the band between the volume and power and menu buttons but the band slides a lot so gues guess... when you put it down, you have to remember to put it down ipod faced down or make sure nothing is pressed or else the power button will be pressed and it will turn on.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2,171 of 6,777
The curse of so many features -- so many buttons!

I've bought an arrow for basic portable use.  Will sound great. 
The L17 will be more for my MacBook Pro and HD650s.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,172 of 6,777

Quote:
The curse of so many features -- so many buttons!

I've bought an arrow for basic portable use.  Will sound great. 
The L17 will be more for my MacBook Pro and HD650s.

^ E17. 

Please note the discussions prior that the E17 (it seems) can not drive HD650's to full potential. But i'm sure you have already read and done your research with that. And then there is also every user's thoughts on what full potential is. Anyway if you want more info asking any of the members prior that have the HD650 and E17 through PM would be great on your part if you want more info. If you are fine, then I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,173 of 6,777

Quote:
hahah...no. That's the problem. would the strap push them? no. they are good enough that it won't but ...guess what, for me the optimal location band placement puts the band between the volume and power and menu buttons but the band slides a lot so gues guess... when you put it down, you have to remember to put it down ipod faced down or make sure nothing is pressed or else the power button will be pressed and it will turn on.

One of the many reasons I resorted to industrial fasteners.  Basically Velcro where both sides are the plastic prongs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back