FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,712 of 6,777

Quote:

??really? i bought mine for $140 as well. but i would guess more sold it more. but you know what i mean right sounddreamer.... a couple off there and here as an aprox..

anyway..ill try not to add useless noise comments like these and focus on just answering questions

I don't mind your noise comments because they're better than no comments at all. :wink: I wasn't trying to correct you, I just didn't think other potential purchasers should feel they would have to pay any more than they had to. :D From what I've been reading, this unit is a bargain at the current price. I'll hear for myself by tomorrow. :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,713 of 6,777

Quote:
Back in stock at advancedmp3players, £99 & free UK delivery!

Ordered mine just now, as soon as I receive it I'll cancel the mp4nation order.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just placed an order there, and the total came out to £95.28 delivery to U.S. in 3-4 working days. That's not bad at all. I think I'll get it before the end of next week.

---------

I will definitely be doing comparisons with my E11. If the E17 doesn't improve significantly, I'll throw it back up for sale for someone else who might be interested!

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,714 of 6,777
@l00l 
i guess that's one way of looking at it really. but still i see different prices for U.S and europe on most things

@sounddreamer
i know what you mean. text makes you seem angsty and everything online. it happens man 
L3000.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #1,715 of 6,777

Quote:
@l00l 
i guess that's one way of looking at it really. but still i see different prices for U.S and europe on most things

Yeah sure, that logic does not apply to all goods. Just some of them. Other price differences are for different reasons.

But I think I will wait a few more days cause I dont wanna pay € 20 in shipping. That´s a joke! It would be 118 for E17 + 20 shipping. But all in all I have pretty much decided that I will go with the E17. Will be interesting to see how different the same source material sounds with stereo, compared to a digital source (coaxial or optical) through the E17.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,716 of 6,777
wow, lack of sleep really affects me i'm realizing.  i thought for sure I had posted this here...

I must say I am no longer anxious about the E17 anymore.  I have heard an INCREDIBLE improvement in sound... I'm highly doubting the E17 will be too much of an improvement on my new set-up.  Might even be worth it for me to just go with desktop amp like a little dot mk2 or 3.   My socks have already been blown off....now i wanna wet my pants :p  

i traded phones for a Samsung Nexus S (which has a Wolfson dac in it...although not AS good as the best wolfson phone dac)..... Using this Nexus S phone with wolfson dac using PowerAmp player / Voodoo control / Beyerdynamic DT880 pro (250ohm)....no amp.  In fact, the Voodoo control has some amp capabilites.  I find that it sounds best with little equalization or flat EQ in Poweramp on my phone.   So much more transparent and clean I could immediately tell a HUGE difference from my other android phone (Huawei).   and then there was definitely a significant difference from the Windows Phone 7 HTC surround which I thought was pretty great.....    I dare say this sounds as good as my first experience I had with an amp at a hifi shop--the Project Head Box II (only tried Grado Sr60, sr225, and sony MDR-V6)

Getting goosebumps as I listen to my setup right now. 

all the insane amounts of research....and very little sleep I got over the past week or two........  I'm QUITE the happy camper--just gotta get my head back into my studies.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,718 of 6,777
no, i didn't get it yet of course (dunno when mp4nation will ship)...  but now that i have such a great improvement than what i had before using the galaxy s (with wolfson + voodoo) and my maybe 100 hour burned in DT880 250s.......  I'm not expecting a huge improvement with the E17... i'm pretty sure I want something that'll improve a TON on what I already have now.....   if the E17 can KINDA drive the HD650.........well, I think I want something that can REALLY DRIVE the hd650 and dt880. 

not gonna cancel my order yet though..   I'm thinking a used little dot MKIII will be my next acquisition

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,719 of 6,777

Quote:
I don't mind your noise comments because they're better than no comments at all. :wink: I wasn't trying to correct you, I just didn't think other potential purchasers should feel they would have to pay any more than they had to. :D From what I've been reading, this unit is a bargain at the current price. I'll hear for myself by tomorrow. :)

Oh wow, bought one!

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,720 of 6,777

Quote:
no, i didn't get it yet of course (dunno when mp4nation will ship)...  but now that i have such a great improvement than what i had before using the galaxy s (with wolfson + voodoo) and my maybe 100 hour burned in DT880 250s.......  I'm not expecting a huge improvement with the E17... i'm pretty sure I want something that'll improve a TON on what I already have now.....   if the E17 can KINDA drive the HD650.........well, I think I want something that can REALLY DRIVE the hd650 and dt880. 

not gonna cancel my order yet though..   I'm thinking a used little dot MKIII will be my next acquisition

Pairing E17 with little dot mkiii sounds not a good idea, because E17 is not a pure dac. You should really consider E9, imo.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,723 of 6,777
(Samsung Nexus S is a phone)

@hyogen - What are you playing on your Nexus? i.e. mp3 or 'phone format' files right? If you like the sound of the DAC in there, but want more drive to your headphones, then an amp is what you're looking for. If you want it portable, that would be a consideration - although you wanna consider that you'll need batteries for the amp if you want to stay mobile. If you allow the E17 to ship and deliver, before selling it I would try to get digital out on the phone if it supports it and compare the DAC on the E17 to that of your phone.

Back to source files - if they're mp3 with moderate bit rate (192 to 320) then adding hardware wouldn't make them sound much better, as I understand it. Anyone back me up on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back