FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,696 of 6,777
Quote:
I was surprised at how well the E17 drives my HD650.. definitely not to their potential but surprisingly well even with Gain at 0. Not sure about the DT880/250 but if the amping requirements are similar, it should be OK.

Yep.  I'm thinking the will drive them acceptably.  The question is whether or not I can get better performance out of my 880s at a similar or slightly higher price-point.  I've also been looking at the HUD-MX1 quite seriously.

I'm very happy with the performance of my E17 with my 250 ohm DT770s. I run at a gain of 12dB and a volume of 40 for the high end of my listening, so that still leaves me with some headroom to make it absurdly loud. As it stands, 40 @ 12dB is plenty loud enough (far too loud if I consulted an audiologist) while still showing detail and clarity. I suspect you'll be satisfied with the E17 for your DT880s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,700 of 6,777

Quote:
FYI: You're about $5.00 too much. I've never seen it over $140.00 for sale.

??really? i bought mine for $140 as well. but i would guess more sold it more. but you know what i mean right sounddreamer.... a couple off there and here as an aprox..

anyway..ill try not to add useless noise comments like these and focus on just answering questions

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,701 of 6,777

Quote:
i guess you can say that. fiio E17 was always $145 in US that's about 109 euro

Question was more torwards how Fiio products are priced over time. Are they dropping in price within their first few weeks of release or are they pretty stable (like apple products)?
I know that it´s cheaper in $, but what they seem to do is, that they simply change the symbol in front of the number and swap $ 149 to € 149. That´s what Apple does as well, kinda.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,702 of 6,777

Quote:
Question was more torwards how Fiio products are priced over time. Are they dropping in price within their first few weeks of release or are they pretty stable (like apple products)?
I know that it´s cheaper in $, but what they seem to do is, that they simply change the symbol in front of the number and swap $ 149 to € 149. That´s what Apple does as well, kinda.

FiiO products generally go down in price.....by a tiny bit... manufactureres set the final price to it and from what i can see. the price goes down..but not alot. currently E7 is about $11 cheaper than when first launched...in the U.S . im gonna guess it was $95 instead of $100 on mp4nation as they like to do that. E11 is still the same price and E10 is $20 cheaper. the E5's price even now is only dollars lower than when it first launched and the E6... from what i see it was "supposed" to sell at $60? yeah right. that's just a amazon gimmick. the E6 also sold and went down a few dollars from first start.

im gonna say $130......maybe in a few months?
awkwardsmile.jpg

they don't JUST SWAP the sign. like converting japenese yen to usd where you just take away two zero's its a very general system. goods in Europe are generally priced more, customs, shipping etc and it just so happened to be that they just made it E149 or something. it's not always like this. but ur right, it's a little funny system or general occurance.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,703 of 6,777
*Warning : potential nooB question here*

I just got my Fiio E17 and I'm loving it; simple usage with AUX and Sansa Clip+ gives amazing results with every headphone I have.

BUT when it comes to my computers and using it's DAC features... I'm not too sure what's best.
I know using the headphone jack with AUX isn't the way to go.
But if my computer has a crappy (50-70$) soundcard and digital out... should I try to plug it Optical/SPDIF in my soundcard, or simply use the USB directly?

Thanks !

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,704 of 6,777

Quote:
*Warning : potential nooB question here*

I just got my Fiio E17 and I'm loving it; simple usage with AUX and Sansa Clip+ gives amazing results with every headphone I have.

BUT when it comes to my computers and using it's DAC features... I'm not too sure what's best.
I know using the headphone jack with AUX isn't the way to go.
But if my computer has a crappy (50-70$) soundcard and digital out... should I try to plug it Optical/SPDIF in my soundcard, or simply use the USB directly?

Thanks !

it is known that the soundcards will do two things:
add their own DSP and effects to teh PCM didgital stream.(like EAX and surround sound effects, some want it[gamers]. most don't)
or just give you a untouched stream of data.

most are the second. so it would be best with the soundcard as teh e17 allows for up to 192KHz/24bit

however..does it really matter that one's 192 and the other's 96?....not really not. unless you are a legit audiophile some time in the future with 192KHz tracks that you just wnat to play. it won't really matter. if USB is much easier for you. go for that. TECHINICALLY S/PDIF is better but you don't really need to use it. when you start joining the "leagues" THEN you can start using S/PDIF . it's kinda like having a upgrade on hand already. when you start knowing your stuff you read around head fi one day and see things abotu pro audio or you get some tracks form HD tracks that are really good. you look at the E17. smile and go. i got some 192KHz love :D

some audiophiles swwear and like to use 192KHz more. but most regular people don't. if USB is easier, do that. your soundcard probably gives a non cmpromised stream of PCM data though. in semi rare cases with driver errors or the card has problems. that stream could have "tainting" problems(taining is not an audiophile term, it's one i just made up) that add hiss, noise, distortion , artifiacts to the stream. doesnt happen too often thoguht cuz you will know if it does that

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,705 of 6,777

Quote:
it is known that the soundcards will do two things:
add their own DSP and effects to teh PCM didgital stream.(like EAX and surround sound effects, some want it[gamers]. most don't)
or just give you a untouched stream of data.

You might want to read on what EAX actually is, since you're confusing general purpose reverb presets with game specific presets that are used solely within games.

And all those DSPs and effects are purely optional, as you can attain bit-perfect playback when the hardware is properly configured.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,706 of 6,777

Quote:

You might want to read on what EAX actually is, since you're confusing general purpose reverb presets with game specific presets that are used solely within games.

And all those DSPs and effects are purely optional, as you can attain bit-perfect playback when the hardware is properly configured.

Oh sorry about the EAX. i dont' use it but i do know that some sound cards will add DSP effects to teh S/PDIF audio stream while most don't that's just the point i was trying to make. and yeah you should be able to disable DSP's even if it "adds" it to the signal. and yeah my last sentence was on if the hardware was going to be configured properly

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,707 of 6,777

Quote:

they don't JUST SWAP the sign. like converting japenese yen to usd where you just take away two zero's its a very general system. goods in Europe are generally priced more, customs, shipping etc and it just so happened to be that they just made it E149 or something. it's not always like this. but ur right, it's a little funny system or general occurance.

Of course they do! Fiio products are manufactured in and shipped from China, right? So why would the E17 cost € 149 and $ 149? And Apple does pretty much the same. But that´s not the topic of discussion here. 

Thanks for your answer, cause since they don´t go down in price by much I will just get it for € 139.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,708 of 6,777

Quote:
Of course they do! Fiio products are manufactured in and shipped from China, right? So why would the E17 cost € 149 and $ 149? And Apple does pretty much the same. But that´s not the topic of discussion here. 

Thanks for your answer, cause since they don´t go down in price by much I will just get it for € 139.

customs, tariffs, differences in shipping to buildings in stuff. the difference between E109 to E149 is pretty big. 

and im basing the numbers on U.S prices i can't say for europe as manufactures set the price.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,709 of 6,777

Quote:
customs, tariffs, differences in shipping to buildings in stuff. the difference between E109 to E149 is pretty big. 

and im basing the numbers on U.S prices i can't say for europe as manufactures set the price.

Just one example, for the purpose of illustration: Apple Magic mouse is 69 Dollars as well as 69 Euros. That´s like a 20 to 30 % price difference! All of the Apple products are designed and all in the US and are manufactured in China. The only difference between a magic mouse that is sold through apple.com and apple.de is the shipping address they put on the box when it goes out of China. Cause shipping costs must be about the same, as are taxes, tariffs and stuff. Some companies just do this because they can.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,710 of 6,777

Quote:
Oh sorry about the EAX. i dont' use it but i do know that some sound cards will add DSP effects to teh S/PDIF audio stream while most don't that's just the point i was trying to make. and yeah you should be able to disable DSP's even if it "adds" it to the signal. and yeah my last sentence was on if the hardware was going to be configured properly

Agreed. If the user wants as clean an audio reproduction as possible, every single DSP or similar should be disabled, and even then some hardware doesn't do bit-perfect playback due to low level audio processing. Still, it should be noted that some people do like to EQ their audio, which obviously makes playback non bit-perfect but more to the listener's preferences as he sees fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back