FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #751 of 6,777

Quote:

Give us your impressions when you receive them :D
I am still between this and e10. Not entirely sure I'd bring my harder to drive cans as portable yet.

If you can afford to shell out $60 more, then spend the extra and go for it. I definitely hear clear improvements when I upgraded from the E10 to the E17. At least the E17 doesn't have the 1ms audio cut that the E10 exhibits, which is quite annoying for OS sound alerts (i.e. new mail, empty trash).

dL

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #752 of 6,777
I received my E17 earlier today and let it charge until full. So far I've been listening to a bunch of acoustic tracks along with bass heavy ones. I'm in love with this thing! The bass is very impactful as it is with my E11. I can only stand the E17 right now on volume setting 32 and no higher (12dB gain). Yikes! So loud. LOL.

This is a well done amp that keeps making these M50s shine. Very good job FiiO. You get a hand clap from me. The previous E7 I had doesn't even come close and now I'm prepping my E11 to be returned. No need to have both now. My amp/dac needs have been fulfilled.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #753 of 6,777

Quote:
Finally received :)

Can you give us your impression of the AKG 701 with the E17+E9 pairing? I plan to pick up the Q701 soon and use it with the E17+E9. I'm pretty set on it unless there is clearly something that sounds bad with this combo lol.

dL

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #754 of 6,777

Wow, this is very encouraging for my M50. I am pretty satisfied with current E10 already. Still I want more features in E17. That's why I ordered E17. I can't wait... it should be here mid next week.
Quote:
I received my E17 earlier today and let it charge until full. So far I've been listening to a bunch of acoustic tracks along with bass heavy ones. I'm in love with this thing! The bass is very impactful as it is with my E11. I can only stand the E17 right now on volume setting 32 and no higher (12dB gain). Yikes! So loud. LOL.

This is a well done amp that keeps making these M50s shine. Very good job FiiO. You get a hand clap from me. The previous E7 I had doesn't even come close and now I'm prepping my E11 to be returned. No need to have both now. My amp/dac needs have been fulfilled.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #755 of 6,777

Quote:

why not drop it down to 6dB gain then instead? less hiss and distortion and etc

Thank you for the impression. this is some good stuff here :D can't belive the M50's need even 12dB gain at all.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #756 of 6,777

Quote:
 mine May BE COMMING tmmrw :D ahhh! >_<

Grrrrrr.... mine is sitting in a sorting facility somewhere here in Calgary, at least according to the Canada Post tracking site. Alas I'm almost certain that it won't be delivered until Monday. :frowning2: It was sent as an expedited parcel, but it's my understanding that Canada Post only delivers on Saturday if the shipper pays extra for Saturday delivery or if it's just before Christmas when they bring on extra staff to try and keep up with the volume of packages. Sigh... I'll just have to try and find something to keep me busy for the entire weekend so I don't keep lamenting about my new toy sitting somewhere in the city, wanting to be touched by its new owner! :)

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #757 of 6,777

Quote:
why not drop it down to 6dB gain then instead? less hiss and distortion and etc

Thank you for the impression. this is some good stuff here :D can't belive the M50's need even 12dB gain at all.

I'm not complaining at all. At the 12dB gain level, I don't detect any hiss/distortion on volume setting 32. It's just loud and clear. I am getting my impressions going through all settings including gain 0 and 6dB.

I wouldn't say the M50s "need" 12dB gain, but it certainly handles it like a champ. Very impressive headphones still.

I won't even test my Shure IEMs until some time tomorrow. Their sound signature hurts my ears on the upper end, and after tonight my ears will need to rest.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #758 of 6,777

Quote:

I'm not complaining at all. At the 12dB gain level, I don't detect any hiss/distortion on volume setting 32. It's just loud and clear. I am getting my impressions going through all settings including gain 0 and 6dB.

I wouldn't say the M50s "need" 12dB gain, but it certainly handles it like a champ. Very impressive headphones still.

I won't even test my Shure IEMs until some time tomorrow. Their sound signature hurts my ears on the upper end, and after tonight my ears will need to rest.

haha as expected :D clieos's review did say only on IEM's past a certain point on that level will u hear anything :D
I have the very similar HFI580's i expect good results either tmmrw or monday (depends if USPS wan'ts to get it to me fast or not :frowning2:   )

I have the Shure SRH440's and wow..haha. same with me sometimes. those really high songs...omg....they are near the level of harsh but more bright...but man..those things hit...and they hit upp there hard :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #759 of 6,777

Quote:
haha as expected :D clieos's review did say only on IEM's past a certain point on that level will u hear anything :D
I have the very similar HFI580's i expect good results either tmmrw or monday (depends if USPS wan'ts to get it to me fast or not :frowning2:   )

I have the Shure SRH440's and wow..haha. same with me sometimes. those really high songs...omg....they are near the level of harsh but more bright...but man..those things hit...and they hit upp there hard :D

Bowei... I wanted to try out the E17 with my HFi 580. As you already know... I can't at the moment. I find I have to really put the volume on my iPhone 3G all the way up for the bass to sound nice n' prominent. Problem is the music is then too loud. Let me know how the E17 works with the HFi 580, give me a little sample before I get home. I want my bass!!!! The HFi 580 sound great to me on all other frequencies so far,,,

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #760 of 6,777
Quote:
If you can afford to shell out $60 more, then spend the extra and go for it. I definitely hear clear improvements when I upgraded from the E10 to the E17. At least the E17 doesn't have the 1ms audio cut that the E10 exhibits, which is quite annoying for OS sound alerts (i.e. new mail, empty trash).

dL

You got one? not sure if you're the same person but I thought you just got a e10 recently! (ask a certain K.H.)
Well, definitely am willing to give a go for the e17's. Waiting is the hard part :p

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #761 of 6,777

Quote:
Bowei... I wanted to try out the E17 with my HFi 580. As you already know... I can't at the moment. I find I have to really put the volume on my iPhone 3G all the way up for the bass to sound nice n' prominent. Problem is the music is then too loud. Let me know how the E17 works with the HFi 580, give me a little sample before I get home. I want my bass!!!! The HFi 580 sound great to me on all other frequencies so far,,,

you either read what i wrote in some thread i wrote in ...but that's exactly what i said..maybe in my review or something but yeah same with me :D the bolded part that is. i'm looking forward to using FiiO's clean bass boost as well :D

Will do, I will be running with optical out from Macbook Pro with CD ripped lossless tracks from 16/44.1 to 24/192
with this bad boy

@UnityisPower
This is an addon Edit....i see you have had both the DJ1 pro's and E11's but returned/sold them. but you have now bought the E17 and love the HFI 580 which is the same as the DJ1(not pro) ...wow.. ??? elaboration?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #762 of 6,777
There's volume and there is dynamics.  The E7/E9 definitely had the volume but I found the dynamics compressed.  Also found it a little harsh, especially with the HD600's.  Moved to the HD650's and it was a little better but not much.  Heard the HD650's through a modded Little Dot III and was blown away (dynamic, open and airy)
Back to this thread.. Tried the E10 with the 650's last night and was pleasantly surprised.  If I had not heard anything else, I'd be quite happy with it.  If the E17 is really better, it should be nice with your HD580's.  Try it with and with without the E9 and let us know what you think.

Quote:
Uh oh. I plan to use the E17 on my HD580s (same driver as the HD600s), but if you didnt even like the E7+E9 for HD600s...
frown.gif

Do you mind saying why you were unhappy with the performance?

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #763 of 6,777
Ok, so call me slow...

I'm not the tech guy just a user.

The HP-P1 has a Digital line in from an ipod, pad or phone to the DAC section.

Since the DAC and Amp in the e17 are better than the "i" products I have two clear and simple questions.

1) Can a Digital out cable like the one used on the HP-P1 be used to feed the DAC of the e17 directly from the "i" device bypassing the DAC and Amp in the "i" device and using the e17 completely.

2) where can one of these connectors be purchased, and why doesn't Fiio include one?

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #764 of 6,777

Quote:
1) Can a Digital out cable like the one used on the HP-P1 be used to feed the DAC of the e17 directly from the "i" device bypassing the DAC and Amp in the "i" device and using the e17 completely.

2) where can one of these connectors be purchased, and why doesn't Fiio include one?

No. To enable digital-out from iDevice, you need a special chip from Apple. The reason HP-P1 (and CLAS) can get digital signal out from iDevice is because they pay Apple for that special chip and the license to use it. Since E17 doesn't have that chip, it won't work at all.

As for why FiiO doesn't get that chip, the reason is simple - cost. There is a reason why HP-P1 and CLAS are so expensive.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #765 of 6,777
I have bought a HD650 a month ago and have been using it with my iPhone 4 without any amp. I have just ordered a E17 (it is on the way, probably will receive it today). I just wonder whether the E17 will be able to drive the HD650? How does the HD650 sound with E17? I don't expect the E17 to drive HD650 to its full potential (I don't know how the HD650 sound like when it is drive to its full potential, never have the chance to hear that) but will it drive HD650 to almost or near its full potential? Is E17 one of the best amp (or the best amp) for the $150 price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back