FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #646 of 6,777

Quote:
So if you want just purely an amp for on the go with the iPod, the E11 is the way to go? 

Oh and thanks for the review! 

if you like fiio's sound. like all the reviews u are hearing. and am thincking about between the E17 and E11 but would only want an amp. then yes.

Quote:
I hope all us newcomers to hifi pay attention to those two points made.  :)

newcomers should definatley pay attention to that

Quote:
Agreed.. I thought that whole dissertation was a nice reality check.

like i said in the above quote. newcommers pay attention. Audiophile's...grab your Toslink and Coaxil cables :D

Quote:
best... avatar... ever.

.....agreeed :D

http://www.head-fi.org/u/168586/sulkoudai

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #647 of 6,777
so Engadget decided to feature the E17.  i scroll down to read some comments and i find this gem:

Quote:
Yiifan Ye 15 hours ago

If your headphone can't be driven by an iphone, it can't be driven by this
If it can, why need this?

P.S. for a tiny amp that drives 300ohm well I recommend the RSA p51 without reserve. Amazing output swing and a thick, creamy "American" sound

Quote:
Omar Kwawaja 15 hours ago in reply to Yifan Ye

Are you serious. This has way more power than an iPhone, also is serves as a USB DAC for PC.

Quote:
Yifan Ye 14 hours ago in reply to Omar Khawaja

Do you really think so?
With this size and a usb dac inside, one could easily observe that considering the battery size, this thing could not have a voltage swing much higher than normal cellphones or an ipod. Unless fiio really has an unbelievably awesome design, which I highly doubt.
Also, considering the specs I've seen, the "dac" in this thing is probably...not as good as the dac in some laptops...the one good it would serve is SPDIF. If you want decent PC-hifi, get a dedicated sound card via 1394 or usb 3.0, and then get a dedicated dac with proper voltage and a decent chip

:facepalm:

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #648 of 6,777
Great job Fiio! I am really really impressed with the E17 with the E9 pairing. It sounds much better than the E10!

Found one small minor build quality problem but I fixed it with a sharpie :) otherwise, your quality and your price is superb!

It's a keeper!

dL

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #653 of 6,777

Quote:
so Engadget decided to feature the E17.  i scroll down to read some comments and i find this gem:

:facepalm:

Wow...this asian person knows nothing.. he should come onto head fi before talking

Quote:
Still waiting on Micca with fingers crossed, lol.  Still says processing on their site.

sorry man...mine already shipped :/

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #655 of 6,777

Quote:
Still waiting on Micca with fingers crossed, lol.  Still says processing on their site.

I believe (based on what Jack-Micca has posted/tweeted, and from reading the notes on their web page while placing the order) is that anyone who chose the expedited shipping (an extra $6.95) would have their amp shipped the next business day after placing their order.  The ordering went live on the 24th, but MiccaStore had mentioned they weren't receiving them until today (the 25th).  So, they basically unbox the expedited shipment orders today and turn them around the same day.

The orders that did not have expedited shipping say that it ships 1-2 days after placing the order.  I guess I'm one who read all the details of ordering from them
wink.gif
 (a new vendor for me).

I placed my order right at 15 minutes after the tweet that the product was available, and I chose the expedited shipping.  I've been sent my email with tracking number, but it is not live in the USPS system.  This doesn't surprise me.  I ship stuff almost daily in my business with USPS....we've had lost packages missing for 2 weeks, and then they get delivered before the system starts updating.

IOW....patience, young grasshoppers....
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #656 of 6,777
I read through the review again. Now I am little anxious and want the Alpen E17.
My setup is going to have a HD598. I am not sure if I should buy a E9+10 combo or just a E17. Both will cost about the same but which one will be better? I already have cmoy for portable use and if I get the E17 then I can use it as a Preamp/Dac into the cmoy. 
WHAT TO CHOOSE!? 
Any known date when amazon will start having these in stock?

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #657 of 6,777

Quote:
I read through the review again. Now I am little anxious and want the Alpen E17.
My setup is going to have a HD598. I am not sure if I should buy a E9+10 combo or just a E17. Both will cost about the same but which one will be better? I already have cmoy for portable use and if I get the E17 then I can use it as a Preamp/Dac into the cmoy. 
WHAT TO CHOOSE!? 
Any known date when amazon will start having these in stock?

do you need the E9? but yeah..this is a little hard in ur case...both are good. just look to see what you need to use more. if you are upgrading to HD600+ series soon or some Beyer high Ohm models. the E9 plus E10 should be better. but then again. i've read plenty of reviews of the E11 handling 250Ohm beyers very well. (the e17 has more power than E11)

up to you

i don't think these will  be on for a while. it's mainly Micca that does this amazon stuff. all the other people that have stock of other fiio products aren't offciial fiio distro's so they wont' get stock until much later. i think Micca will do another private, twitter follower only round and if they have extra's post on Amazon. but then again. this depends on the size of the shipment they get :/

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #658 of 6,777

Quote:
do you need the E9? but yeah..this is a little hard in ur case...both are good. just look to see what you need to use more. if you are upgrading to HD600+ series soon or some Beyer high Ohm models. the E9 plus E10 should be better. but then again. i've read plenty of reviews of the E11 handling 250Ohm beyers very well. (the e17 has more power than E11)

up to you

i don't think these will  be on for a while. it's mainly Micca that does this amazon stuff. all the other people that have stock of other fiio products aren't offciial fiio distro's so they wont' get stock until much later. i think Micca will do another private, twitter follower only round and if they have extra's post on Amazon. but then again. this depends on the size of the shipment they get :/

I have about $300 dollars worth of amazon credit. I am waiting again for the HD598 170 USD deal again. I doubt I would be upgrading for a while. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #659 of 6,777

Quote:
I have about $300 dollars worth of amazon credit. I am waiting again for the HD598 170 USD deal again. I doubt I would be upgrading for a while. 

oh so  you don't have the 598's yet. ...it really depends on what u think you will be doing more realy. portabley or desktop. i like moving around so i went with portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back