FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Sep 8, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #6,676 of 6,777
Hello,

I own a Fiio E17 and im happy with the sound it produces with my Bose AE2 but since i upgraded to windows 10 it wont work through USB. When i connect it to any USB-port on the computer it does not recognize it in the sound output menu and when i instead connect it through AUX it only produce a buzzing/crackling sound to the headphones. 

So does the E17 even work with windows 10? It probably would work with spdif but i rather go with USB. If not, could you guys recommend an internal soundcard which does about the same as the E17? 

I must say, good sound and all, but the Fiio driver-support is really bad. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #6,677 of 6,777
Regarding Outputs using optical, its suppose to be squeaky clean and loud however not as dynamic.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #6,678 of 6,777
Regarding Outputs using optical, its suppose to be squeaky clean and loud however not as dynamic.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #6,679 of 6,777
Hello Guys;
I recently have bought a E17 brand new mainly for its optical capabilities...I found it very good sounding and capable and have not had any issue with it except kind of problem with its display...I noticed there is a dim line right at the middle of each color rows both in home display and menu display. The interesting thing is when battery goes near empty(say one bar or less), those hallow lines going to hide and display looks normal...!

Do you have the same issue? I mean is this normal with E17s or something I should be worried about?
I always turn the hold key on preventing from screen burn in. Only one week operation and the issue was there from the day first
Also the battery was dead when unboxed for the first time...

Below are some pictures from the screen hope they're clear enough...
Thanks in advance

You can see the dim line at the middle of the yellow and blue boxes:

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6,680 of 6,777
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

+1

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #6,681 of 6,777
Hello,

I own a Fiio E17 and im happy with the sound it produces with my Bose AE2 but since i upgraded to windows 10 it wont work through USB. When i connect it to any USB-port on the computer it does not recognize it in the sound output menu and when i instead connect it through AUX it only produce a buzzing/crackling sound to the headphones. 

So does the E17 even work with windows 10? It probably would work with spdif but i rather go with USB. If not, could you guys recommend an internal soundcard which does about the same as the E17? 

I must say, good sound and all, but the Fiio driver-support is really bad. 

Hello Bjorn,

Do you see any installation prompts or ballons coming up from the status bar when you connect the E17?

If you have an optical or coaxial output port on the computer, those should work with the E17 (via the appropriate connecting cables to the relevant port on the E17, and setting the E17 to the relevant mode) regardless of OS. :smile:

The E17 was designed as a driverless device, but it dates from well before Windows 10 or even 8 :xf_eek:

Best regards,
Joe for FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #6,682 of 6,777
Yo.
It´s actually totally increadible that someone that can write so much about FiiO´ s products with a terminology as an enthusiast actually prefer the horrible e11 compared with ten times beter sounding e17. But I agree that the latest of´em is a bit to kind, shiny and bright. This is the solution: use´em both! That sounds absolutely amazing compared to just one of´em at once. Both have major weaknesses without the giant leap it takes with help of the other. They fulfill each other extraordinary well. I use´em with an iPhone 4s. Blows my last brain-cells to many interesting places.

Rock on

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #6,683 of 6,777
Best cable to connect an E17 to a samsung galaxy S6?

Of course OTG.....
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=1117

Buuuut...would a micro usb to micro usb work? .....or does it definitely need a 4 pin to 5 pin setup?

Also does it definitely need the app: USB audio recorder pro app.

Thanks in advance.

(Pretty sure I just answered my own question...but still hopeful I don`t have to go shopping).

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #6,685 of 6,777
anyone tried replacing the battery?

Hello AUDIOBREEDER,

Please contact support@fiio.net, they can sell you the replacement battery along with instructions for making the replacement if you're handy with soldering. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 7, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #6,686 of 6,777
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Best cable to connect an E17 to a samsung galaxy S6?

Of course OTG.....
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=1117

Buuuut...would a micro usb to micro usb work? .....or does it definitely need a 4 pin to 5 pin setup?

Also does it definitely need the app: USB audio recorder pro app.

Thanks in advance.

(Pretty sure I just answered my own question...but still hopeful I don`t have to go shopping).

I use the E17 with an HTC m9.  You will need a USB OTG micro to mini cable as the E17 has the mini connection rather than a micro.  I did need the USB Audio Player Pro drivers to get the DAC to work on mine as without it I could use it as a USB connected amp but it would use the phone's internal DAC.  

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #6,688 of 6,777
Hello everyone,

I got Sennheiser HD 558 and now I'll get FiiO E17 Alpen (in transit)
I'm using Windows 10 and I'm gonna use that at pc mostly,

Is that bad choice because I'm seeing something wrong with windows 10
I got an internal sound card Realtek ALC892 on Sabertooth Z77 mobo
Today I'm ordered an optical cable for connection between them from S/PDIF output on mobo

Any advise will be very appreciated, thanks...

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #6,689 of 6,777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back